A Breath of intelligent/fresh air

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
resigned

Re: A Breath of intelligent/fresh air

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 18 07:46

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps
moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-- Ronald Reagan (1986)

Following are two polls on rankings of Presidents

ABC poll
An ABC News poll about presidential greatness, taken 16–20 February 2000, asked 1012 adults nationwide, "Who do you think was the greatest American president?"[11]
1. Abraham Lincoln (19%)
2. John F. Kennedy (17%)
3. Franklin Roosevelt (11%)
4. No opinion (10%)
5. Ronald Reagan (9%)
6. George Washington (8%)
7. Bill Clinton (7%)
8. Theodore Roosevelt (4%)
9. George H.W. Bush (4%)
10. Thomas Jefferson (3%)
11. Harry Truman (2%)
12. Richard Nixon (2%)
13. Jimmy Carter (1%)
14. Dwight Eisenhower (1%)
Rasmussen Reports poll
A Rasmussen Reports poll taken June 13–24 of 2007 asked 1,000 randomly selected adults to rate America's presidents. Six presidents were rated favorably by at least 80% of respondents. They were George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and John F. Kennedy. Twenty presidents were viewed favorably by at least 50% of respondents.Only two presidents were viewed unfavorably by at least 50% of respondents. They were Richard Nixon and George W. Bush. [12] Favorably-viewed Presidents

1. George Washington (94% favorable)
2. Abraham Lincoln (92% favorable)
3. Thomas Jefferson (89% favorable)
4. Theodore Roosevelt (84% favorable)
5. Franklin D. Roosevelt (81% favorable)
6. John F. Kennedy (80% favorable)
7. John Adams (74% favorable)
8. James Madison (73% favorable)
9. Ronald Reagan (72% favorable)
10. Dwight Eisenhower (72% favorable)
11. Harry Truman (70% favorable)
12. Andrew Jackson (69% favorable)
13. Gerald Ford (62% favorable)
14. John Quincy Adams (59% favorable)
15. Ulysses S. Grant (58% favorable)
16. Jimmy Carter (57% favorable)
17. William Taft (57% favorable)
18. George H.W. Bush (57% favorable)
19. Woodrow Wilson (56% favorable)
20. Bill Clinton (55% favorable)

It appears that Reagan is in the top ten of Presidents with high ranking. I liked Reagan very much

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Feb 18 11:51

The standing rule is, "If something good happens., take credit for it. If something bad happens, blame it on the predecessor.....or Congress!"

Ronald Reagan was a dottering old fellow who made up for a seemingly catatonic state of conciousness by delivering a clever line or two every now and then. Whether those lines were original, or provided by some astute handler, is unknown. The guy was after all, in some sense, an actor. And, he could ride a horse! The same could be said for Jack Elam, who could have been president.....except for that crazy eye! :upset:

All this idol worship being expounded by the republicans over Ronald Reagan's mythical omnipotence seems unfounded at best....and likely due to the fact that they have no one, either now or since, who commands enough stature, real or imagined, to hang their ten gallon hats on.

Better they stop wallowing nostalgically in the past and begin embracing some vision of a future where they might not always get everything they want. But if they try sometimes, they just might find, they'll get what they need. Love them Stones!

Coondog Rocks

Veeferguy

Postby Veeferguy » 2009 Feb 18 12:40

As to the patriot's own words "So your saying that...BO is already half the man Reagan was and he has only been in office a couple of weeks?! That he need only breathe? Does policy or accomplishments matter at all to you?"
He only needs to breathe because that's about all Ronnie was doing his last year in office.

Coon Dog, It's clear you can see through the Reagan Myth. I would suggest the patriot listen to the Fresh Air program and maybe even read the book from the author being interviewed. Everyone is allowed their opinion, but then, it is after all, only an opinion. I think that many people would agree that Ronald Reagan gave us a warm fuzzy about feeling patriotic while he ran up an astounding deficit. (like some other Texan we know) I'd rather put up with a backroom BJ lie than the Iran Contra scandal cover-up. When Clinton lied, nobody died. Can the same be said about Reagan or Bush Jr.? Bottom line for me is I will take an Intelligent, literate, thinking, and caring president over a feeble old guy who should have handed over the reins of power after the first four years. :sigh:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =100253947

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 19 05:54

When Carter left office the inflation rate stood at 11.83% and unemployment at 7.5% and interest rates were at near record highs and efforts to reduce them caused a recession.

This was what Reagan faced when he entered office. He promoted less dependence on government. After the 1982 recession the GNP growth had a recovery and grew during his eight years in office at an annual rate of 3.4%. While unemployment peaked while he was President and was higher than any time since the Great Depression, it then dropped during his remaining presidency. Sixteen million new jobs were created while inflation significantly decreased. As a result of the effect of Reagan’s tax bills there was a 1% decrease in government revenues.

At the end of his presidency our country enjoyed it longest recorded period of peacetime prosperity without recession or depression

Speaking of Presidents who were a "breath of intelligent/fresj air" Abraham Lincoln was a Republican and under his Presidency, built the Republican party into a strong national organization. I thought this a bit of interesting information. Just an aside II seems to me that Obama likes to model himself after Lincoln. I will take a Reagan anyday than a Johnson, FDR, Carter, Clinton any day of the year. It was ok for a President to lie under oath because it didn't kill anyone. What he did on our time and in our house was wrong whether anyone died or not. I remember hearing kids saying that if the President could lie then so could they. If I had done what he did and I had interns in my office, I would have been fired.

I just don't agree with your assessment of Reagan and I don't want to make a myth out of him either. As for "killing" lets see Kennedy increased the amount of US troops in Viet Nam from 800 to 16,300 and then Johnson escalated the war by increasing the number from 16,000 to 500,000 - and then we have the Gulf of Tonkin incident. What a fiasco that was. Johnson cost the lives of many of our young men because ot he Tonkin incident. Humm we seem to forget these incidents. They were all contrived.

References Wiki and the white house gov.

Veeferguy

Postby Veeferguy » 2009 Feb 19 14:21

I appreciate the fact that you do your home work in reference to all our former Presidents. Kudos even. One of the things I wanted to point out was how ludicrous it was to have an old senile guy with access to the codes which control the suitcase. Reagan’s medical/mental condition was hidden from the American public to maintain face. By the grace of the divine, we never got into a shooting war. It's probably no wander we had peace for so long, other than when we were in war, there was never a commander in chief that spent so much in building up our military. Where did all those jobs come from? Building more machines of war, that’s all.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 19 14:38

Thanks for the kind words. Whether he was doddering or not I liked Reagan. Maybe he appeared so nice that other countries left us alone. (think) I believe God was with him and our country. Now that is simplistic, but maybe it's true. Who knows.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Feb 19 18:08

Speaking of fresh air.......I think we need to address a most important element of contemporary communication:

CARTOONS!

First it was Muslims.....now it's Al Sharpton.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/19/chimp.cartoon.react/?iref=mpstoryview

I'm refering to the Post Cartoon featuring a dead chimp (which I would place about

*here*

except I don't know how) and the caption about having to get someone else to write the next stimulus bill.

Political cartoons have always represented a wonderful combination of artful expression, editorial comment and humor. We seem to have lost our sense of humor, and appreciation for what amounts to good satyrical free speech, in favor of a simpering proclivity toward overblown sensitivity leading to indignant outrage.

Believe me....I'm no fan of Rupert Murdoch, but have we sunk so far into the abyss of correctness that chimps, monkeys, apes, orangatans, baboons and other simian similies are to be metaphorically deemed taboo due to percieved racial content?

Can we not say,"The stimulus package looks like it was written by a chimpanzee!" without connotations of racial slur and innuendo? Is it not the cartoonist, but the reader who inserts a bias of meaning beyond the original intent, who exemplifies a racially biased attitude?

In this case it takes a stretch of imagination to connect the chimpanzee to Obama, feigned indignation and a propensity for stirring up nonsense in order to elecit the evidenced level of response over this cartoon.

Laugh it off and let it go! :lol:

Coondog

Connoisseur of Art

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Feb 19 19:22

I thought this was hilarious. As for Al Sharpton, any opportunity to mug for the cameras and see his own name in print. Oh, brother!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 20 09:02

This is funny also

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Mar 20 19:50

Bob Park's weekly column on the nexus of physics and public policy is one of my regular favorites. This week he notes that with Obama's electon America has moved from the middle ages to the 21st century. For the first time in 8 years, other parts of the world seem to be more asinine than we are!

Robert L. Park on 20 Mar 2009 wrote:
  • 1. ENLIGHTENMENT: SPRING ARRIVES FOR AMERICAN SCIENCE.
    "The Enlightenment Returns," a guest editorial by Kurt Gottfried and Harold Varmus in today's Science, reminds readers that the founders of our nation were children of the Enlightenment. They "understood the power that flows from combining human reason with empirical knowledge."
    President Obama's Memorandum on Scientific Integrity directs administration officials to neither suppress nor alter scientific and technological findings, and make information developed for the government available to the public. Our long winter is over.
  • CANADA: ELECTION DID NOT GO WELL ABOVE THE 49TH PARALLEL.
    Stephen Harper, newly elected Conservative-Party Prime Minister, named Gary Goodyear, an obscure Member of Parliament, to be Minister of Science and Technology. Already this year Goodyear oversaw a series of massive science funding cuts, including zeroing out the Genome program. A chiropractor and acupuncturist with no science background, he is known for opposing same-sex marriage and favoring full legal rights for fertilized eggs. Asked in an interview if he believed in evolution, he objected to being questioned about religion. Later that day he said he believed in evolution. He should have stopped there, but expanded with an example from chiropractic about women’s shoes and the spine. He clearly confused genetic inheritance with adaptation of an individual, or perhaps he believes in Lamarckian evolution.
  • TURKEY: ISLAMIZATION OF TURKISH SOCIETY.
    The Editor of Science and Technology magazine was fired over her plan to mark the Darwin year with a magazine cover showing Darwin and the HMS Beagle. Instead it marked the sad end of a secular society in Asia.
:hello2:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Wise One

She Did It !

Postby Wise One » 2010 May 15 12:19

Good on ya, Jessica !

And she's only 16 years old.

Hell, I haven't even tried yet. (It may surprise you to hear that I am somewhat older.)

:sail:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 May 31 20:09

Uji

Postby Uji » 2010 Jun 01 08:52

Wonderful, WiseOne! This is the most encouraging 10 minutes I've spent in a long time...

Found a TED talk by the same guy on the same material, if anyone is interested:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 Jun 01 16:01

Pink's TED talk was wonderful ... thanks for posting it.

I have been uncomfortable for decades as I worked in organizations wholly committed to the linear "carrot and stick" system for employee management. Frankly, it never seemed right, but I didn't have the tools to attack such a seemingly rational system.

I just had a gut feeling that the premise is bunk: setting goals, evaluating each individual's progress toward those goals, awarding dollar rewards proportionally. The precision of each step that is necessary along the way just seems poor, and so uncertainties compound so badly as to obliterate any useful result.

Worse, and this conforms exactly to Pink's point, it just never felt right to me that imagination and creativity are motivated very strongly by dollars. Indeed, I actually felt demotivated by the whole process for reasons I could not explain. It's mostly the other things, the human things, that impel us to strive imaginatively and create. It's amazing how much effort many of us will make for no financial return at all, just because it makes us or others feel better.

As he says, if you pay me a buck per hole I'll probably dig more holes. But if you offer ten bucks over whatever salary was already agreed to, I don't think I can figure out any faster or better how to make my employees smile and feel so good they want to come to work again tomorrow, or how their teacher will make my kids understand any better why An der schönen blauen Donau is noteworthy and beautiful.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2014 Nov 19 22:23

I am blown away by the talent of this amazing performer, Kate Davis and her accompanists, covering a very modern song in 1940's style.

Wow.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Jan 31 09:58

This is quite interesting. No polarization here, just a very thoughtful think-piece.

:coffee:

Crux

I will go with it...

Postby Crux » 2015 Jan 31 19:30

But the truth is more complicated. Victims — like beauty — are often in the eye of the beholder.
In the bright light of moral condemnation, harm is a ubiquitous shadow.
If you can’t see it from where you’re standing, just shift your perspective.

Those three lines taken directly from the piece. I put them together and simply challenge, homosexuality is not "natural".
The harm is to the individual first. We do ourselves the harm, and then harm others in declaring that being gay is just OK.

It might just not be...

After all it is just a matter of perspective.

:2cent:

Coondog

We disagree. Surprised?

Postby Coondog » 2015 Feb 02 22:18

...homosexuality is not "natural".
-crux

Actually, there are ample examples of the existence of homosexuality which occur in "nature". It is clearly evident in humans and animals (and maybe plants).

What we might agree on is that homosexuality is not "normal".

Now, abnormality, in it's many forms is merely an expression of degree of deviation from some measurable standard or another. We're all abnormal in some fashion. That's what makes us so special.

Coondog :tiphat:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2015 Feb 03 07:32

Crux.....

Your level of willful ignorance continues to astonish me.

I really must take issue with your challenge that homosexuality is not natural. Sorry to burst your bigoted bubble but it is most natural. My brother and sister were both born that way. It wasn't a choice made later in life. It was present in all of its glory during our growing up years.

Homosexuality is natural.......and it more than OK. It does no harm to the individual unless they try to suppress the way they are naturally wired coming into this world. And for the record, it does no harm to those who love them, either.

:tongue3:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2015 Feb 03 11:59

Crux has a point. But he is too tentative. I'll fill in the blanks below:

1. Gays are not "natural" because they comprise a minority of people, I'm straight and I think they are icky.
  2. Redheads are not "natural" because they comprise a minority of people, I have brown hair and I think they are icky.
  3. People who get ALS are not "natural" because they comprise a minority of people, I'm healthy and I think they are icky.
  4. African-Americans are not "natural" because they comprise a minority of people, I'm white and I think they are icky.
  5. People taller than 6 feet are not "natural" because they comprise a minority of people, I'm short and I think they are icky.
  6. Male human beings are not "natural" because they comprise a minority of people. Hmmmm, I may have to rethink this.
:potty5: