A Breath of intelligent/fresh air

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Veeferguy

A Breath of intelligent/fresh air

Postby Veeferguy » 2009 Feb 10 09:11

I just wanted to say how good it feels to have a President in office again that doesn’t come off sounding like the “W”. I watched his first White House address to the nation held in the East room last night in front of reporters. Now I know that he has an agenda to promote and that was the reason for having the press pool in attendance. He could have spoken from the Oval office and not taken any questions like many before him have done but he chose an open format instead and performed admirably. What impressed me was the amount of time he spent on each news agency question and the way he took time to give clear answers to questions. He sounded intelligent, he did not dodge questions he didn’t want to answer, and he did not smirk at the reporters like George Jr did. When George W spoke, I always felt a sense of embarrassment for our country, especially after we reelected him for a second term. (Ouch) I hope as a country that we learned our lesson. But, he is gone now, (praise God) and we have a new, well spoken president to lead us out of the hole we’re in.
:hello2: :salut: :hello2: :salut:

Neck-aint-red

Re: A Breath of intelligent/fresh air

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2009 Feb 11 08:40

:tiphat: Amen, brother ... you are speaking my heart and mind ! :tiphat:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Feb 11 12:57

I agree! But there is a problem with Obama that needs to be addressed.

Whoever is in charge of placing his teleprompters needs to put them closer together. It detracts from my adoration of Obama's astute verbosity when he keeps swinging his head back and forth......like he's officiating at a tennis match. Maybe they could put one right in front of him so I don't continually get the impression he's talking to someone else who's in the room with me. There's nobody there. I've looked!

Coondog :turn:

I do appreciate the fact that the people who are not in the room with me are adults...and not 5 year olds!

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2009 Feb 11 15:55

I can understand your elation that Bush is out of office, I felt the same after Clinton left. As i listen to the great Orator pontificate, just so you know Reagan was known as the first President to master the media, I can't help but feel reminded of Slick Willie.

Let's just wait to see if Obama has any substance to go along with his command of the English language and the bully pulpit. If he is half the President that Reagan was we'll be lucky, but we shall see. I think it's funny to see people falling on their knees and swooning at the site of a man speaking. But at least it's not a rockstar on coke, or an athlete on steroids.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 11 22:46

Don't you feel a tingle go up your leg when Obama speaks. That's what Chris Matthews said and I heard it straight from his mouth on TV of course.

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Feb 12 10:36

10thFO wrote: I think it's funny to see people falling on their knees and swooning at the site of a man speaking.

I think you miss the point, 10th. The "swooning" is for a talking head who (1) is not yelling, (2) speaks intelligently, grammatically, and with some sense of purpose, (3) who has a sense of history and his minuscule place in it, and (4) who actually answers the question that has been asked him.

You find admiration for this "funny"? I don't understand.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 12 12:50

[youtube]V2CaBR3z85c[/youtube]

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2009 Feb 13 05:50

Uji, what i find humorous, or funny, is the way people treat him like he is a Rockstar. I've seen a lot of smooth talkers in my life. Took a few public speaking classes in my life. I'm always a little leary of the smooth operator. One only has to look at Madoff, to see how easy the U.S. populace, and even some of it's most intelligent people, can get hoodwinked, by a SnakeOil salesman. The last I checked everyone puts their pants on the same, and everyone's crap stinks. I find the deification of Obama to be very humorous.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Feb 13 14:45

10thFO wrote:I'm always a little leary of the smooth operator... I find the deification of Obama to be very humorous.

I, too, am leery of those who appear only to be smooth operators, such as holyroller preachers and the Bernie Madoffs of this world. They're all the same, in failing to provide verifiable information and objective proof that their claims are valid and their operations are above-board. They're only interested in your money, and Faith ain't enough!!!

I don't see this in Obama, well mostly (let's hope that one was inadvertent), who has made a very strong point of making open and transparent many of the things that his Bushie predecessors closed off from our view as do the rogues described above. His approach seems mostly open, reasonable, lawful, and conciliatory in ways that his predecessors never began to touch even tentatively. But my eye is on him, and I'll be the first to scream if he goes astray as Bush did.

:smile: He has the benefit of my doubts, for the time being anyway. :smile:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2009 Feb 13 17:37

10thFO wrote: ... what i find humorous, or funny, is the way people treat him like he is a Rockstar.

What the hell does this mean?

I hear conservatives repeating this nonsense over and over, blindly echoing Führer Limbaugh.

Reagan, both Roosevelts, Kennedy, the Pope, even the detestable GW Bush all got large, adoring crowds. Does the fact that somebody liked them, alone, diminish them? I think not.

Does President Barrack Obama

• Run lines of cocaine backstage?
  • Bed down with a different set of girls each night, from his pack of groupies?
  • Play a musical instrument in public performance?
  • Trash hotel rooms?
  • Go in and out of rehab whenever he needs to pump his latest album?
  • Bite the heads off live chickens?
  • Marry a one-legged crazy woman?
I will give you one thing. He actually won a Grammy award! To that degree only, "rock star" is justified.

:razz:

Patriot32

Postby Patriot32 » 2009 Feb 15 00:26

Uji wrote:
10thFO wrote: I think it's funny to see people falling on their knees and swooning at the site of a man speaking.

I think you miss the point, 10th. The "swooning" is for a talking head who (1) is not yelling, (2) speaks intelligently, grammatically, and with some sense of purpose, (3) who has a sense of history and his minuscule place in it, and (4) who actually answers the question that has been asked him.

You find admiration for this "funny"? I don't understand.

Sense in history?? Depends on your history...Abe Lincoln threw all dissenters in prison without any just cause. He also banned all newspapers from reporting anything other than pro-union. Is this the part of Lincoln that O wants to relate to?

Answers the question?? Anyone can answer a question...with meaningless words that is.

Why does he have to give so much thought to what he is saying if he truly means it...could it be that he is calculating his words as to not say what he really thinks/means?

Did you see his speech at the Catepillar plant?? He said the company would immediately rehire people. Shortly thereafter, the Vice-President of Catepillar said ahhh...no, actually we'll probably have to lay more people off before we look at hiring more people. Pretty intelligent President we have there, either he's lying, or he's just plain dumb.

Patriot32

Postby Patriot32 » 2009 Feb 15 00:40

Wise One wrote:
10thFO wrote:I'm always a little leary of the smooth operator... I find the deification of Obama to be very humorous.

I, too, am leery of those who appear only to be smooth operators, such as holyroller preachers and the Bernie Madoffs of this world. They're all the same, in failing to provide verifiable information and objective proof that their claims are valid and their operations are above-board. They're only interested in your money, and Faith ain't enough!!!

I don't see this in Obama, well mostly (let's hope that one was inadvertent), who has made a very strong point of making open and transparent many of the things that his Bushie predecessors closed off from our view as do the rogues described above. His approach seems mostly open, reasonable, lawful, and conciliatory in ways that his predecessors never began to touch even tentatively. But my eye is on him, and I'll be the first to scream if he goes astray as Bush did.

:smile: He has the benefit of my doubts, for the time being anyway. :smile:

OPEN AND TRANSPARENT??? Give me some examples...he can say it all day long but it actions speak louder. Kind of like his promise to put EVERY Bill on the internet for 5 days...boy, he sure proved that with the Porkulis bill didn't he! Not one Senator read the thing! How could you when they release it at midnight and pass it the next afternoon. Even if you were to pull an all-nighter, it would take you more than that to read 1100 pages.

What are you going to do with your whopping $13.00 a week(the folks that pay taxes anyway)??? That's your tax break..ahhheemm...I mean credit....ahhheemmm..I mean Welfare!! for you non-payers!!

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 15 08:19

Welcome Patriot really like your style. Hope you stay on the forum. We have some really great discussions here or should I say some lively discussions. :turn:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Feb 15 10:04

Ah! A fellow Patriot!

Glad to have you join in, also! Me? I've been a Patriot since I read Civil Disobedience back when I was in Obedience School.

...boy, he sure proved that with the Porkulis bill didn't he! Not one Senator read the thing! How could you when they release it at midnight and pass it the next afternoon. Even if you were to pull an all-nighter, it would take you more than that to read 1100 pages

From what I've always heard, congressmen/women never read any of the bills they vote on, anyway. Considering the fact they can talk all week against what's in one, then complain they don't know what's in it, I believe they have adopted some sort of precognitive/memory loss methodology which suits them just fine.

However, I've also heard a lot about how Nancy Pilloozy wrote the whole Porkstimulis thing all by herself. That's truly amazing! 1,100 pages .....all by herself! I have new found respect for her abilities, cause I always thought she was somewhat of a dingbat. :hum:

Well, you never can tell, can you?

Why does he have to give so much thought to what he is saying if he truly means it...could it be that he is calculating his words as to not say what he really thinks/means?

Hmmmm! That could be it. Those radical Muslims are slippery as eels. Or.....maybe he's trying to pull a fast one by actually analyzing the question and formulating an answer that doesn't sound like off the cuff, unresponsive jibberish.

After all, secret, encoded messages to Al Qaeda can't just be blurted out incoherently!

Coondog :usa2:

Q: Will I spend my portion of the stimulus or save it?
A: Already spent it!

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Feb 15 15:05

Patriot32 wrote:OPEN AND TRANSPARENT??? Give me some examples...

I did. Read my post this time. Click on the links for specific examples.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2009 Feb 15 15:59

Patriot32

Postby Patriot32 » 2009 Feb 15 16:33

Alright! It's cartoon time...

New to this, hope that worked.

Veeferguy

Postby Veeferguy » 2009 Feb 17 14:06

:surrend: OK, I know this will push this thread out longer than it needs to be, but after reading this line "If he is half the President that Reagan was, we'll be lucky, but we shall see." I wanted to vomit.

First off, don't you remember when Reagan forgot the name of his own national security advisor when being questioned in reference to the Iran contra scandal? It just so happens that the NSC director sees the President more than ANY one person in the course of a day. Towards the end, the lights were on, but no one was home. If you look at archive footage of White House press conferences around the summer of his seventh year President Reagan was the dear in the headlights. The press pool was trying to get straight answers and Sam Donaldson started asking for a follow up question to clarify the answers Reagan was giving. Now any person, no matter how knowledgeable in world affairs can know all the answers, all the time. That is why you surround yourself with competent advisors who are briefed daily.

During this time President Reagan would turn to his advisors who were always in attendance to his right and try to get a clue to what the reporters were talking about. It was obvious that the press pool were asking questions that were clearly confusing our commander in chief. The WHCA (White House Communications Agency) came up with a logical solution that seemed to correct Reagan's confusion. The president’s hearing aids were modified to receive the voice of his advisors and his gaggle of advisors (the important ones) shrank dramatically at the next conference. Not even Sam's persistent follow up questions could trip him up. With the answers being fed to him, President Reagan only had to use his experience as an actor and a radio sports announcer to spew forth the facts. This helped him finish his career in the public eye, but behind closed doors in his cabinet meetings, things got much worse. I can remember several times when I was working the room and while the President was speaking, he would stop and just stare off into space before he realized that he was the one speaking because everyone in the room was looking at him and the room was dead silent.

I worked on his staff for two years and just about every other week we would get a call from the President asking us about the Chili that day while reminding us about how he liked it spicy. We would send it up to the oval as requested and get an ass chewing later that same day by his doctor because it upset his digestive system after getting several operations on his digestive tract. I will give him his due though, he could make a great impression on you as long as he was in casual conversation where he would go on and on about old times. As a country, we were darn lucky that he could finish his last year with his dignity and respect intact.

If President Obama stands before the cameras and just draws a breath, he has already half the man Reagan was. So there is my :2cent:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Feb 17 15:48

You are clearly more in the know that I am, but I can verify your perception from the single time I met Ronald and Nancy Reagan personally.

The event was backstage at the Kennedy Center, at the intermission separating two acts of a performance of Les Miserables. The date was Nancy's birthday, and the cast presented her with a birthday cake. (She did not taste of it.)

Ronald Reagan was asked by the director, "So, how do you like the show?"

True to form, he delivered a line that served him well, "Well, it's no Bedtime for Bonzo." It got a nice laugh from everybody, even as I recognize now it was deflection to mask the reality that he didn't quite know what was going on.

But to other questions, and in general conversation, he was clearly out of it. He was essentially being led around, and appeared to be quite disoriented. This was well before any announcement of his developing medical condition, but I have a clear recollection of thinking to myself "there is something wrong here."

PS. Here's a snippet from a famous Saturday Night Live sketch that parodied his situation.

Patriot32

Postby Patriot32 » 2009 Feb 17 20:39

Veeferguy wrote:If President Obama stands before the cameras and just draws a breath, he has already half the man Reagan was. So there is my :2cent:
So your saying that...BO is already half the man Reagan was and he has only been in office a couple of weeks?! That he need only breathe? Does policy or accomplishments matter at all to you?

When purchasing a car- Would you choose the car simply based on the paint job. Never mind the maintenance history, how many owners, etc...after owning the car for a year you come to find out that it only had a shiny paint job to cover up the massive flaws.

Funny how you ignore all the accomplishments of Reagan only to pick out flaws you would call very minor if it were BO. Did you know that he can't even answers questions in a press conference without a Teleprompter?

I encourage you to take a pen and paper, and write down all the reasons you like Obama. I'm almost certain, that none of your reasons will have anything to do with: ethics, principals, policies, logic, or voting record. Likely, it will be: articulate, young looking, gives good speech, blames Bush often, doom and gloom-but he can fix it. Happy writing!