The Internet & Computers

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Buck Turgidson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rockbridge Area Network Authority (RANA)

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2012 Jan 11 22:27

Anonymoose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Internet & Computers

Postby Anonymoose » 2012 Jan 13 09:34

This dilemma is so predictable, but the confounding part is that the RANA-makers apparently did not anticipate this response, or lack of, from the property owners. It is the usual Rockbridge Resistance. And what is the argument? One can only imagine "we don't need none of that there internet service...we don't own a computer, and will never need one."

OK, maybe you don't and won't. But, if you're concerned about your falling property values, this is one way to keep up with competition, at little or no cost to you. Imagine that I'm a potential buyer of your property, and I use the internet, and am in fact dependent upon it for my livelihood. I view two properties, one with high speed internet access, one without. Which property am I likely to purchase? Which property has the higher market value, all other things being equal?

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2012 Jan 13 11:30

There you go again, using flawless logic !

:smile3:

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2012 Jan 13 12:50

Tee hee. Don't know about all that. But, maybe if we put it on a flag, and hang it from a pole on Main Street, the idea will gain some credibility. :wink:

Uji

Re: Rockbridge Area Network Authority (RANA)

Postby Uji » 2012 Jan 15 12:11

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2012 Jan 16 12:06

@Uji, I don't disagree with what you say, as there are many who must feel that way. But, I think the sentiment at the heart of this matter may be as simple as "what's in it for me?" and "why should I make any sacrifice, no matter how small, to better my community, when I will gain no personal benefit?" And, there could be the unfounded fear that even a minor easement may create an encumbrance on their land that may cause issues in the future. Better communication up front might have served to allay those fears. It concerns me that our leaders don't seem to grasp the big picture when making decisions, nor take proactive steps to avoid such snafus.

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Jan 16 16:51

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Jan 20 07:06

Yo Stonewall!!

I was tickled pink to find this site blacked out earlier this week. Methinks you are more than just an empty suit.

Thanks for being a stand-up kind of soul.

:pompom: :pompom: :pompom:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Jan 20 10:09

:thumbup:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Jan 21 11:07

This could easily fit under the Rule of Law thread but fits here just as nicely. The power wielded by the corrupt ones on The Hill continues to boggle the mind.

:shakeh:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Uji

Postby Uji » 2012 Jan 21 14:50

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Jan 22 11:12

I found this in Slate during my morning reading. This article nicely reinforces everything Uji said above. And, Uji, thanks for always putting another piece in the puzzle........it drives me to read & research as many sources as I can find. :wink2:

:coffee:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Jan 27 13:04

Apropos of nothing, I stumbled upon and find it fascinating.

Sometimes invocation of those past specters is dead-on appropriate, but we should resist hyperbole and reserve their use to cases where they very closely apply. It's kind of like not overusing four-letter words, lest you diminish their full impact when you really need them!
:beer:

PS. That little mustache Crux wears looks stupid.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

There you go again....

Postby Crux » 2012 Jan 30 13:26

crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Stonewall
Site Admin

Re: High-speed in the sticks!

Postby Stonewall » 2012 Jan 30 21:41

Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Mar 08 14:39

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2012 Apr 16 12:08

Telecom monopolists, with Republicans on their side and in their pay, are now in full gear to ratchet up a blizzard of anti-competitive policies that will essentially break the internet.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 May 10 09:00

Do you want to live in the Land of the Free where personal liberty is protected by your government?

If so, pack you bags because you'll have to get yourself over to Holland. shows how others are faring while Republicans here work fast and furious to destroy liberty in America.

:coffee:

Juggler

Marriage in 2013

Postby Juggler » 2013 Feb 28 18:25

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2013 Mar 13 08:43