The Internet & Computers

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Tyler O

Re: But cell phones are driving me crazy

Postby Tyler O » 2013 Apr 03 16:59

Trend Setter wrote:This is a terrific article by David Pogue summarizing all the things that drive us mad about cell phone providers.

Their business model is "The customer is a sucker. Let's fleece him."

:boxing: How will we ever turn this around?

They essentially have an oligopoly where they set prices and standards together, so all the consumer really has is the illusion of a choice. There needs to be smaller companies that take these large companies on and treat their customers with respect in order to change the industry.

Trend Setter

Re: The Internet & Computers

Postby Trend Setter » 2013 Apr 04 00:06

:thumbup:

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2013 Sep 09 10:29

Here's an interesting Mocumentary on Net Neutrality.
A bit long and ponderous, but lots of good points.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 16 12:39

There goes the Internet.

Unless the FCC and Congress work well together to fix law and regulation for the public interest, the Internet as we know it is about to be broken, and badly broken.

The results will be higher costs, complexity akin to airline dynamic ticket pricing, and most damaging of all, huge new barriers to innovation and competition in commerce.

Our representative, Goodlatte, can be expected to take the wrong side of this issue, as will most Republicans. Their "pro business" mask is phony. They're really "pro-monopoly" because that's what it takes to keep the money flowing from Big Telecom (Comcast, Verizon, Time-Warner) to Republican political campaigns. They are determined to strangle competition while it is still a baby in the cradle.

Reference 1
Reference 2

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2014 Jan 17 11:52

Here's a nice elementary tutorial on what Net Neutrality issues are all about.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2014 Feb 02 16:14

Is there still Hope for Net Neutrality?

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2014 Feb 03 12:10

Trolls.
Love 'em?
Hate 'em?
Ever seen one online? Anywhere?

Crux

Thanks Juggler (little brother).

Postby Crux » 2014 Feb 03 14:39

Trolling: "Designed to get a rise out of someone"..."Being a pain in the (butt on line) just because you can"..."Anonymity"..."Allows you to say things online you otherwise wouldn't"..."Ignore the Troll"...

I can't help but reflect on the use of this word. "The more you feed them the more they grow"...."Love your Trolls"..."Better to not focus on the negative comments"..."The more you fight back"..."People don't understand the power of their words"...

Juggler I won't even point out that I don't like your trolling. I won't cast such a subjective opinion about your postings. You put up a dumb photo of Sean Hannity books amongst the feminine hygiene products (douche) as some sort of free speech commentary. Feel Free.

You think it clever, or you are trying to get a rise out of the sensible folks on the forum. Whatever... I think it says a lot about where your heart is to use that kind of criticism. It tells me you don't really care about the issues as much as you pretend. You pose...

By that I mean you opine. You do that in the most shallow of ways. You choose to just throw up a graphic, with the implied notion that it speaks for you. Very well. Others will interpret your substantive or shallow opinions and make certain judgements...

Nothing new under the sun. To me leveling the troll label at you would be not pithy. I just call you Little Brother, because to me you have to grow up. You suffer too deeply.

I would tell you to your face. Just like back in High School. Calling someone a douche is not cool. I makes you look like a fool. It is demeaning everyone including yourself. Your mother and sister. Tearing someone down like that is bullying, and mean spirited...

If you showed some remorse or sense of care about your actions, you wouldn't have to feel so set upon like you were being TROLLED. You are suffering a mental delusion.

sincerely, bigbrocrux

(...look Juggler, you asked for it by being so crude on a civil forum.)

Juggler

A Message from your Cable Guy

Postby Juggler » 2014 Feb 06 13:50

Stonewall
Site Admin

Net Neutrality

Postby Stonewall » 2014 May 07 10:00

The tentacles of the big telecoms have reached into the Obama administration and the FCC.
We are now in the process of losing Net Neutrality.
This is no longer theoretical ... it's happening. Neflix knuckled under to Comcast several weeks ago.
The internet is getting broken, big time, at least in the United States.
What irony, free market capitalism with rules that ensure competition, is dying faster here than in the rest of the world.

Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Crux

News? The news we ignore...

Postby Crux » 2014 May 07 12:09

Obama and the Democrat controlled FCC is COMPROMISED? Politically motivated?? Say it isn't so!!! :cry2:
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Read this and contemplate the notion of free political speech and the roll of REGULATION. Selective regulation of free speech by Democrats as PROCLIVITY.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/fec-chair ... le/2548163

“I think that there are impulses in the government every day to second guess and look into the editorial decisions of conservative publishers,” warned Federal Election Commission Chairman Lee E. Goodman in an interview.

“The right has begun to break the left’s media monopoly, particularly through new media outlets like the internet, and I sense that some on the left are starting to rethink the breadth of the media exemption and internet communications,” he added.

“The picking and choosing has started to occur,” said Goodman. “There are some in this building that think we can actually regulate” media, added Goodman, a Republican whose chairmanship lasts through December. And if that occurs, he said, “then I am concerned about disparate treatment of conservative media.”

He added, “Truth be told, I want conservative media to have the same exemption as all other media.”
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

fangz1956

Net Neutrality

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 May 07 18:34

I find the FCC's proposal beyond disturbing. I think it is a move that could well affect free speech and the free exchange of information and ideas. This has zero to do with Republicans or Democrats, Liberals or Conservatives. The very root of this issue lay in the ever expanding revolving door inside the Beltway where the foxes are granted the privilege of guarding the henhouse. That never works well for anybody except the fox.

I have been trying diligently to keep up with this story as it has unfolded...and there is a ton of reading out there on this subject. I have signed petitions and sent comments to Chairman Wheeler & my elected representatives until I'm dizzy. We cannot afford to give up and knuckle under to the big boys at Comcast, Verizon, & Time-Warner who would love nothing better than finish robbing us all blind for their services and horrendously poor customer service.

I was a wee bit heartened to read the proposal put forth by Mozilla earlier this week. Even feeling slightly hopeful, I will be watching with great interest what actually transpires at the FCC vote on May 15.

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Neck-aint-red

Net Neutrality

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2014 May 08 09:59

This stuff is fascinating. I do hope the chairman is trounced and outvoted by his colleagues on the commission. These telecom schemes will totally break the internet and squash innovation.

fangz1956

Net Neutrality

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 May 08 15:22

Wheeler asks for delay on new rules..........thanks to "a torrent of public response".

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Neck-aint-red

Net Neutrality

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2014 May 08 15:45

Juggler

FCC Excess

Postby Juggler » 2014 May 08 21:09

fangz1956

Net Neutrality

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 May 10 06:59

Neck-aint-red

Net Neutrality

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2014 May 10 10:08

This is a really good summary of the issues and forces underlying this "net neutrality" fight.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 May 15 13:23

FCC moves forward with two-tiered internet plan

The public has 120 days to weigh in on this proposal. Time to turn up the heat on Tom Wheeler and the FCC....especially if you value places like the Rockbridge Forum.

:shakeh:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 May 16 15:41

I watched some of the industry testimony, and statements by FCC commissioners on C-SPAN yesterday.

The former were poor, but mostly just fell into the rut that you would expect of executives employed by the big telecoms. Self-serving, aimed totally at increasing revenues and clothed in high-sounding rhetoric to deflect public attention from their true purpose.

It was the statements of most commissioners that were downright disturbing. These guys are supposed to protect the public interest ... it's the law, but that is not what they are doing.

The majority were either formerly in the pay of big telecoms, or Republicans, and it is clear that the broader public interest is the last thing on their minds. Their ultimate purpose, again couched in high-sounding rhetoric intended to deflect, is to put control over network performance and rates in the hands of a few monopolists. "Damn the public, we want more revenue and we'll crush potential competitors."

While it's good that FCC will solicit broad public testimony, the ultimate decision still rests with these guys. I have no illusion that they care one whit about what they are about to hear. Their minds are made up and they will probably vote the wrong way.

So it may take a change in law to to tell the FCC what they must do. That's s a very long shot, since Congress is presently Republican and may become even more so after the mid-term election. Very depressing.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."