The Internet & Computers

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Anonymoose

The Internet & Computers

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Nov 19 21:51

Now that our new Board of Supervisors has been seated, does anyone in the county have anything to say about the lack of decent internet service in the county? Next time you talk to the supervisor from your district, ask him how they expect to achieve "economic development" with the lack of high speed internet service to the majority of the county. See if he comprehends what the h*#l you're talking about. Can't believe there are 3 universities in this area and most of us are still dependent on dial-up for internet service. :laugho:

Anonymoose

Internet, infrastructure for driving

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Dec 06 22:36

Wise One,

I just noticed your post of 8.9.2007 [in Virginia Driving ...] and couldn't help but chuckle to self. Your idea is great, but to make those sophisticated transactions in our county (electronically) might require having dependable, efficient, broadband internet service to most of the county, which we don't. I sure wish someone would get serious about hatching that egg. I had to "reset" and login twice just to post this message!! How can we talk about economic development seriously until we have better electronic infrastructure?

Amy Probenski

Re: Internet, anyone?

Postby Amy Probenski » 2007 Dec 07 11:05

You are on to something big, Anonymoose. One newly elected Supervisor, Hunt Riegel, has mentioned this as a priority. We need to contact him, encourage him and help him make it happen. Other counties, especially out West, have implemented networked WiFi systems that give excellent range.

Wise One

Re: Internet, infrastructure for driving

Postby Wise One » 2007 Dec 08 10:15

Thanks for your kind comment, Anonymoose, and you hit the nail on the head!
Anonymoose wrote:Wise One, I just noticed your post of 8.9.2007 [in Virginia Driving ...] and couldn't help but chuckle to self. Your idea is great, but to make those sophisticated transactions in our county (electronically) might require having dependable, efficient, broadband internet service to most of the county, which we don't.
We're stuck on 3rd-world digital infrastructure here. No I take that back. In many 3rd world countries they just skipped our systems, going directly from nothing to digital cellphones and area-wide wifi!

:wink: If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail. :wink:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Dec 09 10:58

Thanks, Wise One. I love the quote about the hammer and nail. We will have a hard time with economic development, particularly of the small business variety, without internet. Only one of our newly elected supervisors acknowledged the importance of it. I noticed that Nelson County, http://www.nelsoncounty.org, is actively seeking solutions and applying for grant money to make it happen. Seems to me that we need to enter into negotiations with Embarq, and other providers, to see what can be done. Verizon is gradually expanding their DSL networks, but we don't have Verizon as a service option. I wonder who makes those decisions and how long a particular carrier can monopolize a market under FCC and Virginia laws? Interestingly, I did learn of one subdivision in the far reaches of the county that actually has DSL through Embarq. All I can figure is that the developer paid good money to make it happen. I would love to hear from some people who know more about it and can shed light on what can be done. I just went back to dial up this morning. At least its reliable!

mistatt2

Postby mistatt2 » 2007 Dec 09 17:29

I've been gone from the area a few years now. Didn't Comcast move into the area? and if so, are they at least trying to put in high speed? I love my high speed now that I've moved to Pittsburgh and can't switch back, but I have a "package deal" here that should be free unlimited long distance, 200 tv channels, and internet. I just moved into a new place and have been a customer of theirs for over a year now. I just got my first bill in the mail yesterday. $452.31. Watch em, Comcast tends to move in, give low rates and drive out any competitors if any are around, then gouge your eyeballs out.

Anonymoose

Postby Anonymoose » 2007 Dec 09 19:31

I think Comcast bought Adelphia, and it's only available in Lexington and Buena Vista proper, and a limited area around each of those cities. Our road has Comcast available on one side of the road, and not on the other, so I've heard. And, it stops completely about a mile from us. So, I imagine if Comcast wanted to make the investment, it would be very easy to extend DSL and cable. I guess there's not enough mass of potential customers to make it profitable for them.

Amy Probenski

It's not Internet, but it's Related

Postby Amy Probenski » 2007 Dec 21 10:08

Saul Hansell of Wired magazine on December 20, 2007 wrote:Rabbit-Ear Users Don’t Know The End (of Analog TV) Is Near
In less than 14 months, any traditional television set still connected to its antenna will receive nothing but static, as the broadcasting industry cuts over completely to its new digital frequencies.

A recent poll by the marketing arm of the cable industry shows that most people still have no clue this is going to happen. In a telephone survey in November of 1,017 people, only 48 percent said they had heard about the switch to digital television. And only 17 percent correctly identified 2009 as the year that analog television will be cut off. (The survey had a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.)

Most people don’t actually need to know anything. The switch won’t affect sets with cable or satellite service. But 17 percent of households don’t have pay service on any of their sets. And another 21 percent of households have cable or satellite on some sets, but at least one set left that gets television over the air. (Some of those are mainly used for playing video games or watching DVDs.)

The survey found that the group most affected by the analog cutoff — those with no cable or satellite service — are most in the dark about what will happen to their sets: Only one-third of them had heard that their TVs are set to stop receiving programs.

Of course, there are solutions. Congress is subsidizing the purchase of digital television receivers. And the cable TV industry is hoping that this will spur the last holdouts to buy pay TV. But none of these solutions seemed that attractive to the rabbit-ear set in the survey. Only 14 percent were interested in a converter box, and 19 percent said they would buy pay service. By contrast, 8 percent said they would just watch DVDs or play video games. And 12 percent said they would simply abandon television altogether.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jan 23 10:56

Anonymoose wrote:Now that our new Board of Supervisors has been seated, does anyone in the county have anything to say about the lack of decent internet service in the county?
I stumbled upon this bit of good news on the Rockbridge County site. The due date is past, so I hope that means planning work is in progress and we will soon have a plan. The RFP gives a project end date of August 31, 2008.

Does anybody know more about this?

loverockbridge

Verizon broadband internet

Postby loverockbridge » 2008 Mar 07 21:37

According to Verizon, most of Rockbridge county can now receive broadband wireless internet from them. I currently get internet via Hughes satellite and have seen a general degeneration in service. But before I jump to Verizon (will cost about the same) I would like to hear from those who have tried it.
Anyone? Anyone?

Juggler

Re: Verizon broadband internet

Postby Juggler » 2008 Mar 08 00:17

I'd love to know what you're talking about.

Is the Verizon service a wide area wifi, or is it just data services via cell phone? Most of Rockbridge County is seriously behind the times.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Mar 08 08:55

Verizon's broadband and DSL have been in place down here for quite sometime. I had it a couple of years ago when my living arrangements were different. The service was excellent and the cost was extremely reasonable. I hope they go county-wide for you folks.....I don't think you'll be disappointed. I am quite happy with the service from my current provider which is Comcast (although their rates are outrageous, I've had no real issues with the quality of service).

:wink:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2008 Mar 08 14:14

I read loverockbridge's note to be an inquiry about wireless high speed internet. Those of us fortunate to have cable, and to a lesser extent satellite because of its skinny upload bandwidth, are pretty well fixed - but many Rockbridge residents are in the "boonies" with nothing better than dialup.

It sure would be nice to have wide area WiFi. Is that a new service that Verizon has announced? Where is it described?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Big Brother and Police State

Postby Stonewall » 2008 Mar 10 12:38

Your humble Administrator seldom posts, but this seems both important and threatening to operations like our Rockbridge Forum, and may be of general interest. The forces of repression lurk under every stone, it would appear.

Here is the "take away message" from its last paragraph.
Mr. Couch is an example of an increasing problem within the Republican Party, the spoken belief of limited government, but the practice of big government authoritarianism when it helps a personal agenda. This proposed law is unenforcible, unconscionable, and unlikely to pass Constitutional muster.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2008 Mar 10 15:57

So why does this one man represent the Republican Party? Yes, I saw his proposal on another sight, but in a world that is politically correct, why should this surprise you that someone is trying to publish this "anti-bully" law. I am not for it in anyway shape of form, but what if that internet bullying story had happened in Rockbridge Country or worse yet, on this very "Rockbridge Forum". Seems to me people have actively pushed for the removal of the low water damn in Lexington, because of Mr. Volpe's death a year and a half ago. If it hadn't been the son of a prominent Realtor in Lexington, but some poor farmer's son, would it be such a tender issue here? Seems to me that the case of the girl that committed suicide would probably shut this sight down, and many others like it in Rockbridge County.

If someone can portray that the death of a teenager in this county was the fault of the gov't, whos to say that the death of that teenage girl is not on the hands of her local gov't. Let's think before we overreact. On all accounts.

loverockbridge

Postby loverockbridge » 2008 Mar 27 21:24

Well since I posted the original question I have switched to Verizon wireless. It is called EVDO service. Since I had a Verizon cell phone, I could tell from the phone icons I had good EVDO service at my house. I bought the modem and a router for $148, the service costs $59 a month with a two-year contract(same as Hughes) it is way faster than Hughesnet was and way more reliable. Another nice bonus is that I can take the tiny USB modem, plug it in my laptop, and get internet service anywhere in the country as part of my service plan. I just took a train trip to New York and surfed the net and read emails most of the way up and back (there was a puzzlilng lack of service for about 20 miles north of Charlottesville). Just browse for Verizon wireless internet and you will come to the website that includes a coverage map. For our county the coverage extends about two miles on each side of old Route 60, and most of the rest of the county is also covered. I actually signed up for my plan at the same website at which I bought the equipment and the guys there are very nice and informative. Go to 3Gstore.com. and call the toll free number.

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2008 Mar 27 22:41

Thanks, that helps. I looked up Verizon's EVDO service and found this somewhat disturbing commentary about its "hilariously restrictive use policy".

Does your contract contain this limitation? It's kind of a bucket of cold water on an otherwise attractive option. Much of what I do would violate one or another of these terms.

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2008 Mar 28 21:23

I live in the southern end of the county in God's country, where we don't have McMansions yet, but we do have the best views in the county. Stay away. Luckily I get Embarq(sprint) DSL. I have been happy with it, as I switched from Direct (hughes) in about 2003 or 4 when DSL became available. I have pretty good speed, and would consider Verizon for the portability, my Lake Ontario cottage is service by Verizon, unlike this area with Embarq, and we get DSL up there for the summer. I like Verizon as a company pretty much but hadn't heard of this other service. Right now though I am very pleased with my Embarq, for about the same price, I upgraded my package since I spend so much time online.

loverockbridge

Postby loverockbridge » 2008 Mar 29 09:54

My plan provides for 5GB a month, and my research prior to signing up indicated that a user would have to be on the internet many hours a day and be doing a lot of downloading to exceed this. I am online, at most, three hours a day, and do very little downloading. Also, when I read the remark about the restrictions, I re-read my customer agreement and nothing like that is on it. With Hughes, you could download, but it was limited by their FAP policy and that is the only other broadband choice I have in my section of the county. As I wrote earlier, I did use it on my laptop all the way up to New York and back, and have had no diminution in service or other untoward effects. I will try downloading a song or two this weekend to see if it works, but other users have reported a slower connection in very large downloads only. As all broadband service requires shared bandwidth, it is clear why Verizon is discouraging bandwidth hogs, but my experience is that they are not strictly enforcing this policy, if it is in effect. How would VErizon even know if my modem is attached to a laptop or a desktop?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Dec 03 11:35

Here is some good news about a private sector effort to address a crucial modern infrastructure problem.

The US lags many peer nations in high speed internet access, Rockbridge County being a typical example.

Although this initiative may not deliver results for awhile, we finally have an administration willing to examine the possibility of government/industry cooperation to make positive changes that will benefit the people. The payoff for the US on this one is very large ... it's an investment well worth making.

:hiding: Ping! :hiding:

Return to “MAIN FORUM”