American Healthcare

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Juggler

Re: American Healthcare

Postby Juggler » 2015 Jun 25 16:03

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2015 Jul 26 18:02

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Oct 02 11:18

Good one, Fangz. Here's another:

AMAverdict.jpg
AMAverdict.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 3937 times

Crux

yuck yuck

Postby Crux » 2015 Oct 02 14:08

(amy slaps fangz on the back)

:razz:

Have a nice weekend.

Crux

10 out of 23 CLOSED

Postby Crux » 2015 Oct 29 07:39

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... op-closes/

The Train Wreck continues.

Update: Last year my premiums rose by $3500 annually, this year another $2000 per year according to the Anthem letter I received.
Copay is to go from 15% to 35%, and the total deductible ticks up over 13K for the family. I have the CHEAPEST "bronze" plan.
:numc:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2016 Jun 04 17:48

Purdue Pharma Oxycontin Pain Relief Claims Investigation

All of these companies need to have their feet held to the fire......along with all of the complicit organizations named in the article. This is nothing more than a scheme for profit at the expense of human lives.

:angry4:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

^^^

Postby Crux » 2016 Jun 14 07:01

Didn't "big pharma" and the democrat party write, and vote in the ACA? YES. Totally....

Crux

Ouch Doctor its a train wreck.

Postby Crux » 2016 Aug 17 07:32

Double digit premium hikes in several states including VIRGINIA.
AETNA is getting out of Ocare in 11 of 15 states.
Blue Shield of California will furlough 6,ooo workers to save money.

Crux

News

Postby Crux » 2016 Aug 30 14:28

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/six-years-aft ... -uninsured

Almost 11% UNINSURED?

1/3 of Americans with ONLY ONE choice for healthcare provider? There is even one county at least where NO ONE offers a plan....

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2016 Aug 31 07:14

Crux.....

For about the zillionth time.........the ACA is based on the plan in Massachusetts designed by none other than Mittens Romney and his cronies. As far as the national plan, Big Pharma and Big Insurance had a major hand in the final draft while professional organizations such as the AMA were basically told to sit down and shut up.

Now.....given the history and the model of the plan, it is most definitely bipartisan in origin and all of the wailing from the GOP was nothing but a bunch of gas bags blowing hot air for show.

Please try to keep up with actual facts on this subject.

:coffee:

Crux

Fangz, you are smarter and more capable than that.....

Postby Crux » 2016 Aug 31 07:42

fangz1956 wrote:Crux.....

For about the zillionth time.........the ACA is based on the plan in Massachusetts designed by none other than Mittens Romney and his cronies. As far as the national plan, Big Pharma and Big Insurance had a major hand in the final draft while professional organizations such as the AMA were basically told to sit down and shut up.

Now.....given the history and the model of the plan, it is most definitely bipartisan in origin and all of the wailing from the GOP was nothing but a bunch of gas bags blowing hot air for show.

Lets slow down.

A.There is a MAJOR structural difference between whatever the ACA is as Federal one size fits all mandate, and what the Massachusetts plan was.
The Massachusetts plan was for the people of A STATE. Now I would welcome ANY state coming up with something by it's citizens for it's citizens.
(Please note too that the Massachusetts plan has been DRASTICALLY CHANGED over the years from what it was originally.)

B. We could conceivably have FIFTY DIFFERENT plans and we would find what worked and what didn't, but we don't now do we.
The extent to which BIG GOVERNMENT and BIG PHARMA and BIG INSURANCE got together and crafted the ACA is a DEMOCRAT CONSTRUCT.

1. The ACA was written and passed by DEMOCRATS and Obama signed it. The GOP as you obviously do not wish to recall or acknowledge, WAS LOCKED OUT in the first two years of Obama's first term. The Democrat Senate bill was passed 60-40 by a FILIBUSTER PROOF Chamber, BY 60 DEMOCRATS, and was sent to the House where:

2. After Ted Kennedy the "Lion" of the Senate, DEMOCRAT FROM MASSACHUSETTS died, and was replaced by the 41st vote, Scott Brown(R), the House could not afford to send their own bill back to the Senate where the two bills would have to be reconcilled in committee, etc. You know how bills are NORMALLY passed right? The Democrat controlled House voted on a 100% Party line vote to ACCEPT THE SENATE BILL without changes.

3. The Democrat House voted, all Dems in favor, all GOP against the DEMOCRAT SENATE BILL. That is the ACA which Obama signed.

THAT is fact.

Fangz. I am completely correct on what happened. Do you understand that the ACA is ALLLLLL Democrat?
That it is 100% the DEMOCRAT Senate bill? That it was passed without change 100% by DEMOCRATS in the House?

It is not a historical footnote that THE PEOPLE OF MASSACHUSETTS voted in Scott Brown while all this was happening! Ted Kennedy was a long time advocate for Nationalized one size fits all top down GOVERNMENT health care. When he died, the PEOPLE OF MASSACHUSETTS KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLY voted in a Republican to give the GOP SOME power over the Democrat machinations in D.C. on healthcare. It was a REALLY BIG DEAL getting the 41st vote, and forcing the Dems to compromise with the GOP. The Dems however, on Christmas Eve at Midnight passed the Senate bill without change on a 100% Democrat Party Line Vote...

anonymoose

Postby anonymoose » 2017 Jan 05 00:23

fangz1956 wrote:Crux.....

Fangz, I'm sincerely interested in your take on the sudden price-gouging involving life-saving drugs like insulin and the Epi-Pen. Is this simply a profit-grab by Big-Pharma and Big-Insurance, using ACA as excuse?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Jan 05 13:26

I'm interested in her take too. (I think Fangz may be a health care professional.)

Your suggestion is exactly my opinion. The compromises made in order to secure passage of ACA tilted too far in favor of Big Pharma, and there seems to be either no applicability or no enforcement of Antitrust laws with respect to drug products.

ACA needs to be improved with time, as almost all legislation must. Either by evolutionary increments, or by replacement of single-payer that cuts out all insurance companies (my favorite.)

The Republicans want to burn down the barn in the middle of a January blizzard, leaving the horses on their own with only faint and non-credible promises to build a new barn by next July.

Of some year.

Which year?

Nobody is talking.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2017 Jan 09 08:43

My two cents is this:

The price-gouging on pharmaceuticals is absolutely nothing but a money grab using the ACA as an excuse. I believe that the same applies to the pull-out by major insurers at this stage of the game. The young folks didn't sign up in droves as predicted and now the poor companies aren't reaping the enormous profits they expected. I find it interesting that the most egregious price gouging has been for drugs such as the Epi-Pen and insulin. These are drugs that certain segments oi the population cannot survive without. And naturally, people with diabetes are expensive to insure given the nature of this ravaging disease. Without affordable access to insulin, people will go without and end up far worse off in the long run.......neuropathy, retinopathy. nephropathy leading to a life of dialysis. Another interesting note regarding the Epi-Pen debacle is that the CEO of the company is none other than Joe Manchin's daughter. Her mother was instrumental in seeing that the public school systems had to have this drug on hand at all times. This family has managed to rape the taxpayer from all angles for corporate as well as personal profit.

Healthcare in America has become a money-making boondoggle. With agencies such as the Joint Commission (JCAHO) in on the game (I haven't quite figured out what they stand to profit from this yet), we have seen the rampant spread of opioid abuse and addiction. It was JCAHO (and I think CMS was part of this) who mandated "pain" as indicator for patient satisfaction scores that are ultimately tied to reimbursement. This indicator is driven by what the patient says his/her level of pain is at the time the question is asked. There is no other basis for "pain" in the prescribing of opiates for relief of said "pain".

I could write a book. Hospitals are managed like widget factories with the corporate mantra being "do more with less." Contrary to what the public has been led to believe, it is not the physicians who are responsible for the spike in the cost of all facets of healthcare. You need look no further than the empty suits sitting at the top of healthcare systems (non-profits included), the rationing of care by insurance companies, and the lack of any sort of price negotiation with the pharmaceutical companies. This really all began with the advent of HMOs....and we let it happen. We allowed corporations to take over healthcare and reap insane profits off of the backs of the most vulnerable people in our society.

The best and most sane answer to this issue is single-payer. It is way past time to end the inhumane practice of profit off of illness. it is not only inhumane, it is amoral. Allowing the system to remain as is is not healthcare...it is sick care bordering on death panels. And those death panels are the very people profiting from the current system.

:angry4:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2017 Jan 09 08:50

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2017 Jan 09 08:52

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2017 Jan 26 07:39

It is really sad and more than a bit frustrating to witness the death oi actual journalism at the Washington Post. At the rate they going, they should be out of business or in the same "news" bin as the National Enquirer sooner rather than later. They must be taking their cues from theTrumpian virus that has swept the Beltway.

Thank goodness for the crew at FAIR who actually call a spade a spade....and call out lazy, shoddy journalism wherever it may lurk.

WaPo factcheck attack on Sanders ACA warning at odds with actual facts

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2017 Feb 03 09:43

Healthcare needs a moral wake up call

An intelligent read from a transplanted European physician.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2017 Feb 03 11:01

Thanks Fangz. It's interesting, blessedly brief, but I'm left wondering, "Where's the punchline?"

His points are correct, but there's no actionable recommendation for where we go from here. Surely he doesn't suggest the chaos of no insurance coverage for anybody for any reason, a brutal survival-of-the fittest-and-richest chaos.

I'm more comfortable with a system (single government payer is best) that spreads risk among all to take care of those who need it. And sooner or later, we all need it. Even if it pays for "normal" events like childbirth and periodic physical examinations and immunizations.

I am certain that at least 40% of the costs we presently pay are avoidable. They're caused by zero-value-added items like insurance company profits and overhead, paperwork costs generated only to feed a chaotic insurance system, indefensibly high private executive salaries, anti-competitive lobbyist victories for monopoly drug pricing, unnecessary CYA diagnostic procedures dictated by lawyers, and more.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Coondog

Getting Rid of Obamacare

Postby Coondog » 2017 Feb 10 13:08

Republicans now have the opportunity of rid themselves (and us) of the stigma of government run health care by repealing the Affordable Care Act and replacing it with a system which has universal coverage, lower premiums, lower deductibles, etc.

This is wonderful news.

But...........does this not mean the republicans are now embracing the concept of government run health care?

Coondog :hum: