Global warming or Ice Age

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Sam

Re: Global warming or Ice Age

Postby Sam » 2010 Jan 05 07:20

Uji wrote: The US is slipping into Third-Worldom yet no one things they owe "the government" anything. Makes no sense to me... And then they complain about the deficit... :rolleyes:

I believe lots of people don't have a problem owing the government their due. But to my way of thinking (which isn't the best at times) I think this dang fool government is becoming too big and taking over to many aspects of our lives. As Patriotic citizens we do have to worry about the deficit. I don't mind paying my share but sure don't want to give up my first born to do it. This despicable debt is going to affect future generations and that is my worry. There comes a time when you yell stop. Hell if I have to balance my budget as do States then our government should have to do the same. They are throwing good money after bad. And I do agree with you that we are going to be a third world country. We are almost already there now. I want more States rights and less big government. Heck at this point I would prefer no government - guess that would be anarchy. :gun:
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Uji

Postby Uji » 2010 Jan 05 11:11

:director: RANT :hair:

National debt as percentage of GDP was greater in 1945 then it is now. That was after a two-front war in which every "patriot" sacrificed not just by paying huge tax increases, but through rationing of food and commodities. That war lasted 5 years.

We are now in the eighth year of a two-front war in which (1) no "patriot" -- save those in uniform -- have been asked to sacrifice anything -- in fact they've been encouraged to consume and consume -- and in which (2) taxes have been reduced. We now pay less tax than we did in 1970.

And we have a deficit. To that, a rational person could only respond, :rolleyes: "Duh..."

From an historical perspective, it is not the case that government is too big and that the deficit is unmanageable. It would in fact be easy to manage if we, as "patriots", stepped up to the plate and assumed responsibility for it. Instead, it's "them" that caused the deficit, not "us." We don't feel any responsibility for it -- while we sit in our SUVs watching plasma TVs sprouting from the head-liner. It's all these rotten politicians... How'd those folks get there? How? We not only put them there but reelected their sorry asses? And the corporations? They have the power they have because we the people gave it to them. We could take it back -- but that would mean electing real leaders, not just borgs who tell us what we want to hear.

I understand that millions, maybe even most Americans think that the deficit is unmanageable, that government is too big... We are a nation of middle-aged adolescents, unwilling to accept the most basic responsibilities of adulthood: "We bought it (on time), we used it, we broke it. We pay for it." Personally, I didn't vote for these people (I, of course, only vote for "good" pols :wink: ). But that's the constitutional contract: we the people are ultimately responsible.

We must man-up and make the sacrifice to ensure our children's future. There is no other entity that can do it. The government is "us" -- as depressing as that is, it's a fact we most face sooner or later. If we behaved like the "adults" that we insist that our children become, we would accept the following as not only inevitable, but as our duty:
(1) to pay higher taxes,
(2) to recognize that we must switch from a consumer life-style to a conservation life-style, and work towards a better future for our children (which is what our parents and their parents and their parents ... did. Why does the buck stop somewhere else for us?),
(3) to vote for pols who support these unpopular options.

There is no other way. There is no one else to do it.

And I can't take the assertion that "if we could just get rid of pork-barrel spending everything would be okay" seriously. The pork, the ear-marks, are such a minuscule amount of total expenditures... But focusing on them keeps us from actually having to face the real enemy which is, of course, us -- as in "us" the people, just as it always has been and always will be. Scapegoats are for children. Adults accept responsibility. :salut:

...and I clearly have too much time on my hands and should stop imposing my daily thoughts on this forum. The advantage and curse of being retired: you think you know all the answers and, worse, you've got the time to impose them on someone else. So I'll shut up now. Bye. :oops:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 Jan 05 11:59

Very nice, Uji. You win today's sensible person award.

That (and about $5 bucks) will get you a good cuppa coffee.

Kinda.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Sam

Postby Sam » 2010 Jan 05 18:00

Hey I gotta say, I agree with most of what you say and like the way you say it. I was a tyke during the war years and remember the rationing, getting all the metal we could to give to a guy who came by in a truck to collect it. MY parents lived in California. I remember putting curtains or blankets up over the windows at night for blackouts. I remember we were poor and had very little. But I do remember.

You are right, except for the families loosing sons or daughters in the Middle East, the rest of us are not experiencing the war. We need to pull out of all of it and bring our boys and girls homes I say. Hey you say it better than I can. I feel there has gotta be a better way. Back then we all felt patriotic. Today I don't see that. I just see a feel good bunch of people.

If I could I would sit on my front porch with my mutt and Jack Daniels, and mull over all this but its too dang freezing cold.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Uji

Postby Uji » 2010 Jan 06 11:03

Wise One wrote:Kinda.

Man, WiseOne, I've still got the coffee squirting out of my nose from that one. Need anyone say anything else about this "culture" we swim in? Thanks. I wish we could all just laugh more...

Sam

Postby Sam » 2010 Feb 04 18:08

Snow, snow and more snow. Where is that global warming. I sure could use some now. Guess my ole lady and I will just have to cuddle.
"extremists

jorgea

Postby jorgea » 2012 Feb 24 21:58

These would make you ponder for a while. I do not believe in global warming. It's just false promoting.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2015 Feb 02 11:44

Crux

Oh stop...

Postby Crux » 2015 Feb 02 14:55

:dontknow:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Feb 20 11:18

Lynchburg hit a record low last night. The lowest temp by several degrees EVER. D.C. is hitting 120 year record lows. Over the last couple years around this country record lows are outnumbering record highs 2-1. It's all Global Warming All The Time! :hello2:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 21 18:26

You should know this man's opinion: http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-art ... ge-skeptic

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Mar 21 18:40

If it comes from the Heartland Institute, it is pure adulterated bullshit.

Guaranteed.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 22 09:23

So you are saying that the founder of Greenpeace is not a Global Warming skeptic and the content in the article is inaccurate?

Well than I guess you are simply wrong if that is the case... You are simply just deflecting the FACT that the piece written by Moore is a devastating rebuke of the notion, AGW. Sorry you don't like the article. Linked is a 29 minute video by Patrick Moore, PHD, and co-founder of GREENPEACE.

You tip your hand sir.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Mar 22 11:31

The day has arrived. We can declare Crux is, officially, bonkers.

Virtually every position taken by Greenpeace is repudiated by Crux in the starkest and most unreasonable terms. So who does he turn to as proof that Patrick Moore's ridiculous pronouncements are gospel?

Greenpeace! The same organization that repudiates Moore's misguided statements regarding climate change! The organization that Moore resigned from!

Me head's a'spinnin', as it amost always does after a shower of Crux's drivel posing as logic.

Crux

Too Funny

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 22 21:22

It stings the left when one of their own goes off the reservation... :sail:

Besides. I am against whaling on any large scale. Strict quotas need to be enforced and followed.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 23 08:49

Crux, you do agree we're experiencing climate change, right?

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 24 07:39

The climate, globally, changes over time quite a bit, getting warmer, then colder, then warmer, etc. over the millennia....

Centrist. :shakeh:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 24 08:51

I strongly recommend you don't buy beachfront property. :hammer:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Mar 24 17:38

Look. It has NEVER been wise to build beachfront property! At any time.