Obama

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
resigned

Obama

Postby resigned » 2009 Jan 19 07:25

Expensive

Let them eat cake........hummmmm

Uji

Re: Obama

Postby Uji » 2009 Jan 19 10:15

I'm planning to eat a lot of cake myself... I think O and his supports have a lot to celebrate. And the funding -- most of it -- is from private sources. Not only that, but unlike any previous admin, you can go on line and find out exactly who gave what to whom.

I, for one, am glad there's a celebration. I plan to share a cold one with the chickens and listen on the radio and wish O and the whole world the best of luck.

The last eight years have been one bad trip. Something good is about to happen for all of us, I think, and I'm ready to party.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Jan 19 10:34

I so hope you are right that something good is going to happen. I believe that our politicians have done a bad job in so many areas. And thats not just the President but Congress as well. So I am praying that Obama succeeds.

I just look at all the money spend on campagning and the inauguration on both sides as obscene. Cake I can't eat. But a good loaf of whole wheat bread is more in my liking. In fact I just baked two loves of home made bread. They smell heavenly.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Jan 19 12:45

When the Soul Train left Philadelphia and headed into DC, it was loaded like a Bangladesh commuter with good, good, good good vibrations. And....enough cake to go around.

For good or ill, there is optimism in the air and even many of the conservatives have that recently medicated look in their eyes that says, "Hey! Something's Happenin'! I'm not sure what, but I want in on it!"

There are still those who prefer to peer deeply into the gaping maw of a gift horse, and that's probably a good thing. We already know what happens if you let any kind of horse loose in the feed barn. But....cautiously optimistic is good enough.

Otherwise, one might miss out on The Summer of Love 2, coming soon in 2009. Street vendors and DC hookers are already experiencing the economic boost.

We must embrace and nurture the warmth and fuzzyness of it all lest the potential Re-birth of a Nation eludes us. Optimism! It is, after all, likely to be more effective and tangible than all the economic bail out packages put together.

Coondog :pompom:

Peace, Love and Soul!

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Jan 19 14:19

Beautifully put, CoonDog. Here's hoping for the best... :beer:

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Jan 19 19:43

I know that the country as a whole is upbeat in regards to Obama's upcoming presidency. I believe that the blacks in our country need and are entitled to this great historical period in our history. I wish and pray that Obama does succeed because that will be good for our country.

I have a difficult time feeling the warm fuzzy feelings you both have because of my conservative views and knowing where Obama stands on a number of issues. He is a great speaker, intelligent, seems to have good Christian values (from what I can tell) and most of all has interjected a great feeling of optimism into our country. Hopefully this will not fade with time but continue. I hope I am wrong but from what I have seen over the years after the initial honeymoon period, we end up with another politician. Hopefully Obama is our Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jan 21 14:18

What a wonderful day! We watched the inauguration festivities with interest and enthusiasm, only grumbling over the incompetence of a postal service that failed to deliver all ten of our invitations to the inaugural balls.

E-mail is more reliable. For example, today the following note arrived from a graduate school classmate of mine, sent to all of his American friends. He was born in Denmark, lived in Canada until he was 22, went to grad school for his PhD in America, and now lives in Sweden with his growing family.
My dear American (+Canadian and British) friends:

Yesterday at 6 p.m. (12 noon DC time), I got a lump in my throat and my eyes moistened.

Thanks for restoring hope to us all!

I just had to share this feeling with you,

- Aage

:thumbup: :pompom: :beer: :hello2: :clap:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

GinaR

Postby GinaR » 2009 Jan 22 12:54

The blind leading the blind...

It is a good thing to want things to improve. It is a good thing to push back racism. It is also a good thing to want the US to succeed and be a better place for all.
The thing is- when an action is taken, even if it looks good on paper or sounds good to the ears, for it to be a good thing it must have good consequences. For example: It sounds and looks good to say: "We should all share so that nobody goes without."
Fine. Now, HOW? How to do this thing so that each person puts in their share in order for there to be enough to share between everyone? Ideally, each person should have employment which gives them enough to care for self and family AND enough to give into the pool. Realistically, Most people do not earn that much. So, where does the money come from? More from those who have? Doable, but not fair. Those people have worked and studied hard to have that extra- to take it forcibly is theft, even if it is the gov't doing it. So then you have those people working less and/or simply NOT working. THEN where does the money come from?
See what I mean? The inherent problems and logistics of the proposal are not what was intended by the initial intent.
And that is only one example.
Because- count on it, Murphys' law never goes away.

Jackie

Postby Jackie » 2009 Jan 22 13:15

I sure didn't eat cake before or after Obama became President. Heck I was too sick to think about food.

I'm not ready to give up my freedom of speach, freedom of religion, freedom of thought. I think I've handed out way too much of my hard earned money to folks that sit on a couch and do nothing but take, take, take and give nothing in return.

I was born a small hill town country gal in the great State of Tennessee. We had very little but we never asked for handouts, we lived off the land. We were taught the value of a dollar and what it meant to get an education and better ourselves. I left the Hills of TN long ago and worked to better my life and health in CA and VT. At 18 I voted Republican and have continued to stand by the Conservative party.

I never handed my son things he wanted just because it was the IN thing. He had to earn everything he got, either in chores or in deeds. Today, my son is a soldier and has served a term in Iraq. I am a proud Army Mom that still gets a hug and a Thank You from my son.

I have been reading the Obama Agenda on the White House page and all I can think of is someone talking from both ends, no one man can or will make the changes he talked about, it's impossible. I'd like to see one honest decent human being run for the Presidental Office and win, strictly on the statement "I'll work on one item at a time and work on it until it is completed."

Some of the items on the agenda are things that have been in place for sometime. Is Obama going to take credit for making sure ramps are on buildings for those in wheelchair to have access? I THINK NOT. That law has been in place for a long time.

It is time we conservatives stand up and let our voices be heard, not only in Washington DC but all over this great country. It is our right to peacefully gather and be heard. Please note that I did say PEACEFULLY Gather. We need to join hands and pray for this country. Pray can move Mountains and Pray To God Our Creator can part seas.

Jackie Proud Army Mom

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jan 22 13:37

Jackie wrote:It is time we conservatives stand up and let our voices be heard ...
News flash. They have been heard for the past 10 years of Republican-controlled Congress and Presidency, Fox TV, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Wall Street Journal, Heritage Foundation, Federalist Society, etc., etc., ad nauseum. We've heard enough, thank you.

:usa2: I am so happy that the voices of reason and morality are finally being heard and are prevailing. :usa2:

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Jan 22 13:42

A Republican does not always equal a conservative. It seems many people just don't get that. I tell people I am not a Democrap or Republican, but a conservative. The Republican party let the conservative down along time ago. Thank heavens for those who remain true to the conservative ideals.

And if you remember and you should for the past two years Congress has been controlled by the democraps.

The voices of reason, give me a break. I sure don't hear those voices. Maybe the voices you hear are just that voices.

Proud Conservative

Postby Proud Conservative » 2009 Jan 22 13:46

You cannot find where the monies came from. PERIOD> That is either a lie or a ill informed remark. PERIOD!

Uji wrote:I'm planning to eat a lot of cake myself... I think O and his supports have a lot to celebrate. And the funding -- most of it -- is from private sources. Not only that, but unlike any previous admin, you can go on line and find out exactly who gave what to whom.

I, for one, am glad there's a celebration. I plan to share a cold one with the chickens and listen on the radio and wish O and the whole world the best of luck.

The last eight years have been one bad trip. Something good is about to happen for all of us, I think, and I'm ready to party.

Proud Conservative

Postby Proud Conservative » 2009 Jan 22 13:54

Main stream media is and has been for some time LIBERAL...to name foundations which are private is NOT on tv daily. Talk radio is big on the conservative side because it WORKS, it is successful. But the TV media is ALL liberal. So, and there is a huge difference there.
What reason and morality are prevailing? Oh the REFUSAL TO PRODUCE BIRTH CERTIFICATE? Or, the putting in of the non tax paying thug to run the IRS? Or, the fish sending scum to the Chief of Staff? Or, Hillary as Sec of state..what conflict exists when her husband is paid MILLIONS by foreign governments? Yea speak of bringing real morality? Please.....shameful for you to even spout such false hoods.

Wise One wrote:
Jackie wrote:It is time we conservatives stand up and let our voices be heard ...
News flash. They have been heard for the past 10 years of Republican-controlled Congress and Presidency, Fox TV, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Wall Street Journal, Heritage Foundation, Federalist Society, etc., etc., ad nauseum. We've heard enough, thank you.

:usa2: I am so happy that the voices of reason and morality are finally being heard and are prevailing. :usa2:

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Jan 22 13:56

What a shame... Can't you folks get away from all these labels? Can't you just talk about issues? Sure, what someone says and what they do can be two different things. So what else is new?

Is there something the Prez has done that you don't like? Fine, let's talk about that.

Calling yourself a "conservative" doesn't mean anything. Was McCain a conservative? Apparently not -- or at least the "wrong" kind. Was Bush a conservative? Apparently not -- or he was, but then he wasn't, etc. But all this conservative/liberal nonsense is just that: non-sense. It's just away of saying "it's THEM that are the problem."

Why don't you discuss issues, what works and what doesn't?

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Jan 22 14:27

Proud Conservative wrote:Main stream media is and has been for some time LIBERAL...to name foundations which are private is NOT on tv daily. Talk radio is big on the conservative side because it WORKS, it is successful. But the TV media is ALL liberal. So, and there is a huge difference there.

I get it: liberal BAD/conservative GOOD. But, I can't figure out what you are trying to say above. TV media is all liberal. BAD. Talk radio is all conservative. GOOD. Why? Because it's "successful"? Isn't the TV media "successful"?

Take a minute to make some sense, will you.

What does being "successful" have to do with it. Goebel's media empire was "successful" too. So . . . What is it you're trying to say?

Proud Conservative wrote: Oh the REFUSAL TO PRODUCE BIRTH CERTIFICATE?

What are you talking about? Who refused to produce a birth certificate? Where do you get this stuff?

Proud Conservative wrote:Or, the putting in of the non tax paying thug to run the IRS?

Who didn't pay his tax? The nominee for Treasury did -- just a little late, as it turns out. If you think paying it late disqualifies him, that's one thing; but accusing him of not paying his tax is simply untrue. If that matters to you.

Proud Conservative wrote:Or, the fish sending scum to the Chief of Staff?

You are simpling raving now. What does this mean?
Proud Conservative wrote:Or, Hillary as Sec of state..what conflict exists when her husband is paid MILLIONS by foreign governments?

What nonsense. Bill's charitable foundation raises millions from governments and individuals all over the world. What does that have to do with the Secretary of State?

And I don't think we know each other well enough for you to call me a liar. The donors and amounts given to the inauguration are freely available directly from "Public Citzen" or at this web sites:
http://becoming44.org/content/inaugural-bundlers-0
These are the big donors -- the bundlers. And before you call me a liar again, follow the links. If you actually want to know who donated to the inauguration, it is all public information.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Jan 22 14:46

Uji, I can only speak for myself. But to me being a conservative means that there are certain values by which I live my life. As for conservative being good, I don't believe that is always true. There are some who call themselves conservatives who are in the outer field. There are some also who are good. McCain was no conservative and I have known some conservatives. :turn: There are some liberals who are good and there are some who are in the other outer field. If that makes any sense.

I do have a problem as Proud Conservative pointed out on the person who didn't pay his taxes. My son in law and daughter, couldn't pay their taxes for a couple of years and now they have the IRS coming down on them hard. They are paying them in installments, because they can't afford to do any other way. I resent that someone is being appointed head of the treasury when he "overlooked" paying his taxes. How can someone who is smart do that. My son in law is a good man but not the brightest blub in the pack.

As for the Clintons, yes I have a problem with her being Sec. of State and Bill receiving all these donnations from other countries as a conflict of interests.

Just my humble opinion

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2009 Jan 22 18:20

The radical conservative element in this country spent seven and a half years blaming Clinton for everything that went wrong.....and the past 6 months blaming Obama. I long ago put aside the rediculous notion that radical conservatives are to be held accountable or responsible for anything. George Bush is gone....and that's enough for me!

But........not surprisingly I suppose, there still is a lot of hate and bigotry out there.....oozing up out of dark recesses like the bad karma left over from a Sarah Palin rally that was buried....but just won't stay dead. Fine! I've seen enough Zombie movies to know that, short of shooting them in the head, they are not about to be reasoned with or logically persuaded into giving up on single minded obsessions. Instead, I have given up arguing fact and fiction with people who only get their information from people like Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Riley and Randy Travis.

So, I will refrain from addressing nonsense directly and attempt to simply ponder how anyone who condoned people like Rumsfeld, Cheney and Gonzalez have the gall to question the moral and ethical character of anyone.

Likewise, I will ponder why the remaining conservatives in congress, who are allergic to accepting any responsibility of their own, are so unwilling to embrace newly inspired approaches to solving the current economic quagmire unless the plan includes additional tax breaks for corporations and rich individuals - a methodology that has failed miserably in that past realm we all would like now to put to memory.

I will ponder how radical conservatives, who stand firmly on the side of a show of Strong Christian Values when it comes to prayer in school or inscriptions on public buildings, can rail so ardently against basic Christian ideology when it comes to confronting issues like poverty, inequality or injustice.

So.......Zombies can stop wasting their time trying to eat my brain. :lets: They are otherwise free of my recrimination to wallow in their dank alleyways of self delusion and negativity until such time they decide to stop jabbering nonsense and grow a brain of their own.

Coondog

He that oppresseth the poor to increase his riches, and he that giveth to the rich, shall surely come to want. Prov. 22-16

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Jan 22 19:05

Coondog, I don’t consider myself a “radical conservative” or you a “radical liberal”. I would hope that we could meet on a common ground. I respect you for you have not been “radical” in your posting nor have you chided me for my sources. It seems that no matter what I use for a source some question my credibility.

As for President Clinton, I voted for him the first time but not the second time. I feel that what he did was wrong. Having said that, I believe that he and the first President Bush have developed a good friendship due to their combined efforts following several traumatic events. I still feel that there is a conflict of interest there with the Clintons. Does that make me radical? I don’t think so; I am just expressing my opinion.

There may be some hate and bigotry out there as you put it, but I see it on both sides. I have seen plenty of postings here on this forum, which I see as boarding on hate and bigotry. If having Bush gone makes you feel better good. I didn’t always agree with him, but did agree on some issues that I am sure you and I would disagree. As for President Obama I am concerned because he has no little experience. I am also concerned because I believe he made so many promises and the expectations in America are so high that if he can’t do all he set out to do there will be some very disappointed people. I believe that he is a loving husband and father and that is a good thing for black people to see, as I know from working in the field as a social worker that the black population has become a matriarchal society. From my experience, usually many black men don’t stay with their families and the burden of raising the children falls on either the mother or grandmother. I believe that the black population needs a roll model (who is not a sports figure) to look up to. That was proven by so many people showing up for the inauguration.

As a conservative Christian I see many things being eroded that were in my life as a child and while I was raising my children. I feel that the secularists are trying to do away with my life as I have known it and to be honest that makes me feel very uncomfortable. I felt comfortable with the known and am very uncertain with the unknown. I understand when some people who don’t share my Christian beliefs can feel uncomfortable around prayers etc. But at the same time I feel very bad when I see those things/events, which surrounded me during my childhood being done away with.

You mentioned inequality, injustices and poverty. During my lifetime I have experienced all three. As a Christian I believe we should help as much as we can. But I balk at providing help to those who I believe can help themselves. I grew up on a farm in the Ozark Mtns. We didn’t have electricity until I was ten. We were very poor. I went to a one-room schoolhouse until grade 3 then we were bused into town. We farm kids were treated poorly. We kept to ourselves and formed our own social group. I had to milk cows before and after school. I never dreamed that I would be able to attend college. But through hard work and determination, I attended night school and was able to graduate with a BA and ended up getting a Masters. I never realized that I could have gotten welfare until I was in a Social Welfare class and suddenly realized that I could have been eligible for welfare. Instead I worked two jobs in order to accomplish all I did and took care of two children as I lost my husband in Viet Nam.

Therefore, I can say that I truly understand all three terms you mentioned. Through hard work I was able to achieve my dreams. I believe in helping, but I also believe in those helping themselves. When people become so dependent upon the government they cease to have that drive to work at bettering themselves. That is my humble opinion. And no Frangz, I don’t have any sources to give you. Just my own opinion.

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Jan 23 12:38

Coondog: You hit it right on the head. "THEM LIBERALS" were the cause of every problem when conservatives had the presidency, both houses, and the Supreme Court, now I'm sure LIBERALS RULE THE UNIVERSE . . . HA, HA, HA, HA ... !!!!!!!! :twisted:

Ah, well, Beck, it still fun to talk to you. And about the new Secretay of the Treasury: The guy could have paid his taxes, but he didn't (until being reminded to). That upsets you because there are plenty of good people who would like to pay their taxes but can't. I sympathize.

I just ask you to look a little more carefully at what you are saying: In the tax example you gave, a family member did not pay his tax, so the IRS is insisting that s/he pay it. Now, the nominee for Treasury paid his tax -- but only after the IRS reminded him that he better ante up. So, the nominee paid the tax; the example you gave was of someone who didn't.

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make. Is it that the Treasury Sec could afford to pay and didn't (until the IRS came after him)? So it's better to not pay taxes on purpose (like your family example) rather than to do it inadvertently (like the Secretary)? Is it that people who can't afford to pay their income tax shouldn't have to? Or is it that not paying your tax until you are told to (a second time) is as bad (worse, you seem to say) than not paying it at all on purpose? That doesn't make much sense.

Or is it that someone who makes a mistake on their taxes should be disqualified from ever collecting taxes? That would certainly disqualify most of us.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jan 23 13:35

On taxes, I have only the simplest observation to make.

• Those who deliberately evade an obligation they know to be required by the law deserve criticism and, sometimes, punishment.
  • Those who fail to meet an obligation because our tax laws are the screwiest, most complex, opaque, contradictory, poorly worded, and unjust pile of crap ever produced probably deserve the mildest of rebukes, a chance to correct their error, and a little sympathy.
:wink2: I've never made a mistake on my taxes. (And I have a bridge in Brooklyn ... make an offer.) :wink2: