Local Publications

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Sam

Re: Local Publications

Postby Sam » 2012 Mar 26 19:12

Its a tad interesting what you can or are forced to watch while sitting in a hospital for hours on end. Gotta say folks, I am a bit worn out. But my son is doing better. He is scheduled for more surgery on April 10th. World events become meaningless when your child is hurting.

To me Bill Mahar is foul mouthed and I don't agree with Rush's statements or at least how he said them. But I do agree that I don't want the government paying for women's birth control especially if they can afford an expensive school such as the one that girl was from. I would agree to birth control for poor women - might cut down on abortions.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Mar 26 20:19

Sam,

Glad to see this latest post. I've been wondering about your son and how things have been going.

As a parent, I do agree that everything else pales in comparison to the pain and illness of your child.......no matter how old they are. That is the center of the universe and I wouldn't change it.........it is what matters most.

Glad to see you posting and glad to hear your son is doing better. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.

:angel5:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Mar 27 14:05

What's all this about the government paying for contraception?

The actual regulatory requirement at issue is over whether Health Insurance providers include it in their coverage.

The idea of this initiative being paid for with tax dollars is simply more tripe ginned up by the same credible folks who talk about death panels, religious repression, moon bases and the justifiable shooting of teenage potheads.

Coondog :dontknow:

Coondog feels there are already too damned many people running around here, anyway. Contraception (and, yes, abortion) affects primarily a demographic commonly viewed by conservatives as detestable at best .... the spawn of which will either end up avoting for democrats or in jail. While the government is not now paying for these contraceptive measures, I think it should....preventing conception of these future reprobates in the first place is a legitimate exercise under the auspices of promoting the general welfare and insuring domestic tranquility.

Crux

AO's FAVORITE

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 27 21:05

coondog wrote:tripe

In my experience only boorish erudite fools use such a word... I pray I never use "tripe" in any context. :crab:

Sam

Postby Sam » 2012 Mar 28 04:12

Thank you Fangz. Sure appreciate the kind words.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Crux

Samual

Postby Crux » 2012 Mar 28 08:00

I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him... 1 Sam 1:27

crux

Coondog

Tripe

Postby Coondog » 2012 Mar 28 12:09

Crux Wrote:
In my experience only boorish erudite fools use such a word... I pray I never use "tripe" in any context.

Sorry! I meant to say Goat Tripe!

While some may be familiar with the terminology in the context of of a food source, those of us more linguistically proficient recognize that the word tripe signifies something foolish, worthless, offensive, etc. Reference - Thorndike - Barnhart Dictionary.

Coondog :salut:

Example: The health care reform act contains a provision for an individual mandate. I was never in favor of an individual mandate when the republicans (the same ones now suing the government over it) came up with the idea in the first place.
I still don't like it. The fact that it is them, and not me, complaining about it now is not just tripe......it's specifically goat tripe!

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2012 Mar 28 13:14

I absolutely love your stuff! Keep it up.
PS. I think you meant "credulous." The word that snuck by you is the last one I'd use to describe those patsies.
coondog wrote:What's all this about the government paying for contraception? The actual regulatory requirement at issue is over whether Health Insurance providers include it in their coverage.

The idea of this initiative being paid for with tax dollars is simply more tripe ginned up by the same credible folks who talk about death panels, religious repression, moon bases and the justifiable shooting of teenage potheads.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2012 Jun 14 01:07

Wow. This is quite a shake-up in our little town. I cannot tell what this is going to mean ultimately, but it sounds as though there is some danger that the sleepy News-Gazette will descend even further into somnolence. I hope that Doug's Rockbridge Advocate can somehow benefit from the change, for we need it now more than ever.
The News-Gazette wrote:
The News-Gazette Corp. announced late Tuesday that it has bought The Rockbridge Weekly, effective immediately. The publishers of both newspapers, Jerry E. Clark for the Weekly and Matthew W. Paxton for The News- Gazette, spoke to their respective staffs in simultaneous meetings yesterday.

The Rockbridge Weekly will cease publication – today’s issue will be its last.

Speaking on the sale, Weekly publisher Clark said, “After many decades of spirited competition with the News- Gazette, I’ve decided that now was the best time to pursue some new interests. I am confident that our readers will continue to be served with the truth because Matt Paxton’s newspaper has one of the top reputations for accuracy in the state.”

News-Gazette publisher Paxton said, “We will miss the competitive spark that Jerry Clark and his staff gave The News-Gazette’s staff. Knowing that the Weekly was covering the same stories we were, and selling to the same advertisers made us work harder, and made us, I would hope, a better newspaper. We will miss having that stimulus, and the entire staff of The News-Gazette will work to meet the challenge of maintaining and improving the quality of our print and digital publications.”

Subscribers to the Weekly will get The News-Gazette for the remaining months of their weekly subscription, or if they also have a Gazette subscription, will receive additional months equal to the remaining months on their Weekly subscription. Web subscribers to RockbridgeWeekly. com will also get access to the subscription-only area of The- News-Gazette.com, logging into RockbridgeWeekly. com with their same username and password. These changes will be in progress over the next week.

The Rockbridge Weekly traces its lineage back to the Buena Vista News, founded in 1916. Operated for two generations by the Page family, the paper was sold in the late 1970s to Clark’s company. In 1981, The Rockbridge Weekly was created out of The Buena Vista News and The News & County Press. Originally a free distribution, total market coverage paper, it evolved into a paid circulation weekly newspaper in 1995.

The announcement of the sale of the Weekly comes almost exactly 50 years after the Rockbridge County News and the Lexington Gazette merged to form The News-Gazette, which occurred July 1, 1962.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Firebringer

Postby Firebringer » 2012 Jun 18 06:51

The Rockbridge Weekly was only great when Doug was the editor, when he vamosed that is when the paper went to hell. The RW was undoubtedly the worst paper in Virginia after Doug was unceremoniously driven out by Jerry Clark. The News-Gazette is somewhat ho-hum.

BusMan

Local Newspapers?

Postby BusMan » 2012 Oct 02 14:04

Hello all. First timer here. I'm new to the area and was wondering what local newspapers are published and how often.

I've found the website for The News-Gazette, which appears to me to be a weekly.

I also see that W&L has something over at The Rockbridge Report.

What am I missing? Are there any papers published on Saturdays?

Thanks all.

Coondog

Re: Local Newspapers?

Postby Coondog » 2012 Oct 02 16:10

News Gazette (Weakly)

The Advocate (Monthly)

The Roanoke Times (Daily, but not much local)

Richmond Times Disgrace (ibid)

Gossip (24-7)

Racing Forms (never)

Coondog :coffee:

BusMan

Postby BusMan » 2012 Oct 03 08:12

Thanks, Coondog. Someone told me that a particular photograph I'm looking for was in the Saturday edition of the local paper. Any idea what that might be? Does BV have their own paper?

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Oct 03 11:05

The News Gazette bought what was considered to be the BV paper (although it really wasn't).

The 'Saturday' paper they distribute free is called the 'Weekender', which they throw out rolled up in a plastic bag in either the driveway or the bushes depending on trajectory.

If you need a photograph from an edition, you might inquire at their offices on Nelson Street next to the State Theater. Perhaps they'll provide a glossy?

Coondog :coffee:

No crosswords. No comics. Plenty of Gossip.

BusMan

Postby BusMan » 2012 Oct 08 08:05

Thanks, Coondog. Very helpful information.

Crux

Coondog was helpful?

Postby Crux » 2012 Oct 09 20:38

...well there you go...

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2013 Mar 26 13:24

The News-Gazette wrote:Harwood To Be Inducted Into Hall Of Fame

Doug Harwood, editor of The Rockbridge Advocate, has been tapped as one of five new inductees into the Virginia Communications Hall of Fame.

For 26 years, the Virginia Communications Hall of Fame has recognized communication professionals with exceptional careers in journalism, public relations, advertising and other media fields. Host for the ceremony will be Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of Mass Communications. Harwood began his career as a radio host in his sophomore year at Washington and Lee University in the early 1970s. He quickly launched a career in journalism, writing stories for The Buena Vista News, later serving as editor for that paper’s successors, The News and County Press and The Rockbridge Weekly. He earned a reputation for getting to the bottom of a news story.

Since 1992, he has been the editor for The Rockbridge Advocate, a publication he helped found. He has taught journalism at W&L’s summer scholar program and at Virginia Military Institute. The induction ceremony will be held Thursday, April 11, at the John Marshall Hotel in Richmond. For more information on the event, call Lauren Stewart at (804) 827-3761.

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2013 May 28 21:23

Barn the horses, hold your hat, and sit down.

The News-Gazette has done it again, standing bravely against the world in a no-holds-barred editorial in favor of flowers.

I kid you not, May 22 issue.

:suicide:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Jan 09 07:41

Did you know...

... that today is Oldest Newspaper Day? In 1656, in Haarlem, Netherlands, Abraham Casteleyn began publishing a commercial newspaper that still survives today. It is believed to have been the first full-sized newspaper ever published in Europe and, along with the establishment of the famous Enschede printing works, part of the reason the city became known as a city of printing. One in every one hundred Haarlemmers is still employed in the printing trade today.

~~~

Sooo.......in celebration of Oldest Newspaper Day, kudos to The Advocate for doing it right and for keeping the presses humming. We deeply appreciate the hard work and effort lovingly put into every issue.

:encore: :encore:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 09 10:58

Verification. Thanks for the info, Fangz, new to me.

That newspaper today, Haarlems Dagblad. Coincidentally, the front page business news today is that printing company itself, apparently undergoing some ownership changes. A key part of its business nowadays is printing postage stamps and bank notes!

Occasionally I still read what was my "hometown newspaper" for a year.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."