Re: Forum Usage Tip from Stonewall

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
fangz1956

Re: Stonewall's Techie/Help Chatter

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Dec 07 14:49

Might not be isolated to Embarq. I began having issues yesterday and today seems to be getting a bit worse. My ISP is Comcast and am using Mozilla Firefox.

It's the NSA trying to quash free speech!

:hiding2:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2014 Dec 08 11:19

Thanks for the confirmation, Fangz. I will keep an eye on it and contact the web server if it persists.

Your final confirmation that this seems to be a chronic deterioration would be appreciated ... I need ammunition to talk to them.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Dec 12 07:31

For the time being, the problems appears to have resolved itself. I'll let you know if there are anymore weird experiences. :turn:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Mar 12 10:19

Wilco. Thanks

Post post edit:
Better, but still laggy; though I'm new w/ not a real point of comparison. For the record, one of my posts crashed and burned earlier today, perhaps because it had a URL. Don' remember what the error message said.

cheers

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 12 16:59

Dear empty suit

Coondog's recent experiences with this site have been horrendous. Unmanagable. But, today IS, if not perfect, a whole lot better.

Coondog :thumbup:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Mar 21 13:32

Sympathies

Took several tries and as many minutes just to get this thread to open. If this post even gets through........ there is a major fly in the ointment.

Good luck swatting that critter. Would hate to have to switch to Red State just to irritate people.

Coondog :hum:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2015 Apr 13 17:01

Although We are Back . . .
There was a problem with embedding images in postings using the [img]...[/img] tag. (Thanks 1Centrist) Image
Yippee! I think I fixed it, although not exactly the way I wanted to. Let me know if it works for you.
1Centrist, I inserted the fixed image in your Hillary R post ... move it if it's misplaced, but you get the idea.

The error is widely acknowledged and my fix will be fine 99% of the time. Here's another workaround: Download the actual image to your machine, and then upload it as an attachment to your posting, placing it "inline" in your posting.

As ever, I am grateful for your continued feedback on
  • Are there any errors that I need to fix?
  • Is it faster and/or more stable than the prior version? Or worse?
  • Anything else, pro or con? Suggestions?

Reminder: The default order of message listings is in the order they were posted, that is, newest last. This is annoying because it means that the user has to scroll to the end of all the messages under a topic.
You can reverse the order of listing so that the newest messages always appear first, by doing the following:
  • Click This and then
  • Select "Descending" for both "Display post order direction" and "Display topic order direction"and then "Submit"

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 14 07:55

I scanned the FAQ, but couldn't find an explanation for the various icons associated with the threads on the Main forum board (e.g., red border, scrolling text, etc.). No big deal since this may fall within my clueless Dilbert boss persona, but is there a legend? TIA

Oh, and thanks for the pic fix. I'll try it again soon.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2015 Apr 14 09:21

Hmmm. I hope we're speaking of the same icons that cause puzzlement.
Most create explanatory pop-up legends when you "mouse-over" them.

As for the Topic icons, I share some of your puzzlement and have never precisely figured them out myself.
I think the red color indicates there are unread posts, and the stars indicate some measure of recency and/or popularity.
The very top one is forced to the top and looks different because I made it "sticky."

Does this help?

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 14 11:50

Yes, the Topic icons, and yes, you always help. Thanks

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2015 Apr 15 17:28

1Centrist wrote:Sorry, Stonewall, I was the clueless boss and it was 15 years ago. Cheers

Thanks anyway, it was worth a try!

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 15 18:53

LOL Well I was a "power user" in the 1980's, so if you need help modifying a win.ini or sys.ini file. :typ:

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 16 13:26

I stumbled on this website/forum today and it looked very familiar. Perhaps someone there can help.
http://forums.wesnoth.org

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2015 Apr 17 12:01

Very interesting.

It looks as though this software started with the publicly available phpBB code, what I'm running, and was then modified to take on a slightly different appearance. Most is exactly the same. I'm a little surprised they don't acknowledge the original software as the basis for what they embellished.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Apr 17 14:16

Whatever ghosts or gremlins are loose afoot hereabouts, it took a good 5 minutes to open this topic and get to the post reply screen.

Something remains amiss with the responsiveness of this here domain. Being computer illiterate, there is to be no help coming to you from this quarter. Just thought you ought to know.

Coondog :banghead:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2015 Apr 23 10:59

1Centrist wrote:(Stonewall, I was completely unable to figure out how to use the msnbc tag.)

Thanks much for the feedback. Since I designed the custom tag, MSNBC has totally revamped its web site and dropped any possibility of embedding videos in other web sites.

Therefore, thanks to your calling it to my attention, I've deleted the tag. Sorry, it's their call not mine.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 23 11:25

Oh, I'm not at all surprised. NBC is the worst of the major news channels when it comes to inet access to its stuff (e.g., its Roku app content is pathetic). Thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2015 May 05 21:42

Well there you are again! I was beginning to fear that we'd lost you. Welcome back.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Stonewall's Techie/Help Chatter

Postby Stonewall » 2015 May 05 23:48

My apologies, dear Forum Participants. I screwed up, big time, and we were off the air for a week or so.

After more work hours than I care to count, I got it going again with the very latest version of phpBB, the very latest version of PHP, and the very latest version of mySQL. We lost the final few days of postings before it went down, but the rest seems to be here.

I will be grateful for reports on what looks good and/or bad. Is it any faster, the whole point of submitting us to this agony? If not, I will be really depressed. Either way, I'll be drinking lots of beer ... in celebration, or in depression.

:beer:

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 May 07 13:52

We few............we opinionated few, appreciate your efforts to repair the holes in the bottom of this ship of fools. :sail:

It appears we have red skies at night, clear sailing til morn, and the rats haven't left the ship.

A hearty "Aaaaaargh" to Stonewall

Coondog