Re: Forum Usage Tip from Stonewall

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Stonewall
Site Admin

Re: Stonewall's Techie/Help Chatter

Postby Stonewall » 2015 May 11 15:01

Thank you ... how generous, and greatly appreciated!

I just noticed that I've been dead for exactly 152 years yesterday. No wonder I get so little done.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2015 May 24 21:06

I hope this does not jinx us all, but after watching the newly waxed and polished Forum software for a few weeks, I'm declaring it fixed. It has been consistently fast and reliable for that entire period.

Therefore, this topic is changed from "sticky" to "standard" and will sink in the listings as newer postings appear.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2016 Apr 26 23:54

Well that is embarrassing. Your humble Administrator was invited to a New Year's party in Trump Tower and overdid it on the Trump wine.

The Donald said, "Here, take some home. Some Mexicans already paid for it. It's the best, the best anywhere, believe me, it's so great you're gonna get tired of how good it is. "

But after I got home I spilled wine all over the keyboard and pretty much ruined this Forum as I typed a bunch of stuff that seemed good at the time but turned out to be complete gibberish. It took me three months to go through the wine he gave me, and to recover from hangover(s) enough to figure out what was wrong.

But I finally got it done. Is it fixed, dear participants? I promise, I'll never do that again. My apologies.

dit

Postby dit » 2016 Apr 27 06:40

Cant seem to get beyond this message or see the "104 replies"

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2016 Apr 27 12:00

Longest Damn Hangover Ever

Thanks for finally coming up for air. We can only hope the intelligentsia hasn't scattered to the four winds. Perhaps an enticement to enhanced participation would be to post more cute cat photos. Works for facebook!

cat stick up.jpg
cat stick up.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 4742 times

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2016 Apr 27 12:16

To Dit: Fiddle around with it a bit more.
Each topic has postings sorted by date, by default the first ones are last which is kind of silly.
You can reverse the default order, to make the most recent postings appear first, by doing this:

The default order of message listings is in the order they were posted, that is, newest last. This is annoying because it means that the user has to scroll to the end of all the messages under a topic.
You can reverse the order of listing so that the newest messages always appear first, by doing the following:
  • Click This and then
  • Select "Descending" for both "Display post order direction" and "Display topic order direction"and then "Submit"

To Coondog: Thanks for your patience, and for the amazing cat photo. Yep, that's what we've been missing around here. This has been a wasteland of no cat videos, pretty dumb strategically. Mark Zuckerberg splayed cat videos all over his little service and made $Billions.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Re: Stonewall's Chatter (Running the Forum, tech, etc.)

Postby Stonewall » 2016 Aug 01 23:07

Stonewall's global intelligence network has revealed a disturbing fact.

Our beloved Coondog has been struck down, we hope only temporarily, by a life-threatening event. We believe he is in good hands and is recovering, if slowly as he emerges from a dire medical emergency.

We offer best wishes to him for a speedy and complete recovery. First priority is rejoining his family and friends, and a lower priority is returning here where you are greatly missed.

:tiphat:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2016 Aug 02 08:37

Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2016 Aug 03 09:08

What? Say it isn't so.

I'm so sorry to hear that Coondog has had some troubles, and horrified to hear of their severity.

Please get well, please, we need you ... you have my best wishes for full recovery. The world, not just this Forum, needs your unique perspectives and sense of humor.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2016 Aug 07 16:10

Dear Coondog,

YAY! It is so nice to see you back here again.

Now follow the vet's advice. Take your pills and wear your flea collar, lest afflictions like mange etc. appear to bite you again.

(One of my communications may be among your cards and letters, unless USPS is as bad as we fear it is, so watch for it.)

:pompom: :clap: :beer:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2016 Dec 20 09:52

I post things here very seldom, regarding my role as simply administrator of an internet-based communications channel for Rockbridge folk. I'm much more interested in your ideas than in my own.

But I now fear that the existing free and open internet that is so important to so many of us in so many ways may not survive in the new administration. Net neutrality may be under renewed assault by Donald Trump. Here are two items that cause concern.

1. Donald Trump's statement itself
  2. The resignation of the FCC Chairman, who broke the tie in favor of preserving Net Neutrality.
This is a matter of grave importance, and could one day suppress even little corners of the internet like this one.

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2017 Jan 23 16:14

I just ran across this highly disturbing news.

Stonewall kind of hit a bullseye on predicting this. I love the Internet, for all the things it does now plus its amazing enabling of innovation and new business.

If the Republicans get their way, and it looks as though they will, then the Internet will be crippled and shuttered to all but the biggest and wealthiest actors presently on the scene. They will use their new Trump-granted power to clamp down on the Internet, and choke/stifle new market entrants who would compete with them.

Trump has us pointed toward control of everything of value by the biggest few oligarchs. It will be Putin's Russia, right here in America.

:knife:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 Feb 04 22:27

And so it begins, breaking the Internet starting with poor people who are least able to defend a program they rely on for help.

Infuriating, but this is a small thing in the total scheme of things. The BIG thing is still on its way, killing Net Neutrality. This will allow those companies already holding large market share, already politically and financially powerful, to erect new barriers to competition in the form of pay walls that we've not had up to now.

The small entrepreneur with an idea that might one day be as good as Google or Facebook will find new and costly barriers to market entry as the telecoms like Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner charge tolls for access that make it difficult for a new start to break into a monopoly market. Telecoms are already enormously profitable from fees collected from subscribers. They want to double those fees by collecting, again, from originators of web content.

:knife:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 Feb 10 12:51

A Fox News outlet story on how Republican-driven loss of net neutrality will impact Netflix and small startups. It is not pretty.

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2017 Mar 11 23:28

If Trump Fans Love Freedom, They Should Love Net Neutrality

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 Apr 11 18:06

Net Neutrality. Your administrator seldom participates here, but this issue goes to the heart of what he (and this Rockbridge Forum) believes in.

This opinion piece on Net Neutrality summarizes the issues, tells us what the contending interests are, and predicts that Trump is going to have one hell of a fight as he and Republicans try to break the Internet.

The big ISPs (Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner) want to convert the open Internet into something like the wretched cable TV we are so familiar with. They will decide on bundles of services, they will decide on rates/prices for access, they will decide which services are delivered fast and which ones slow, and they will decide what services to block completely from you.

This should not be a Republican/Democrat issue. We all have a stake in keeping the Internet open as it is now.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 Apr 26 16:43

And, yes, here it comes. Trump is bent on breaking the internet that works so well for us all.

Trump's FCC Chair Breaks the Internet

Killing Net Neutrality rules clear the way for ISPs (Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, etc.) to convert the wonderful Internet we know into a hell resempling cable TV bundles, fees, competition and innovation-killing blocked access and punitive fees, etc.

This will affect thousands of organizations and millions of people adversely, all for fatter CEO paychecks in the Big Three ISPs.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 Apr 26 16:44

And, yes, here it comes. Trump is bent on destroying the internet that works so well for us all.

Trump's FCC Chair Breaks the Internet

Killing Net Neutrality rules clear the way for ISPs (Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, etc.) to convert the wonderful Internet we know into a hell resembling cable TV bundles, fees, competition and innovation-killing blocked access and punitive fees, etc.

This will affect thousands of organizations and millions of people adversely, all for fatter CEO paychecks in the Big Three ISPs.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 May 19 14:49

Every day there is a new abomination. Today's Trump assault was expected.

Here it comes.

Labeled by zealots as a proteciton of the "free market", it is the exact opposite. It's capture of the unfettered right to innovate and compete, for the monopolistic benefit of three Internet Service Providers.

We all lose.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2017 Dec 25 22:50

I seldom post here, but this issue is so important to me.

All my worst fears were realized, and the Republican dominated FCC has rewritten the rules to hand over monopolistic control of our most precious modern communications medium. Internet Neutrality has been destroyed by Republicans.

This act of craven selfishness and abuse of power will disadvantage small, new, and innovative businesses. Unless Congress turns this around (highly unlikely so long as it remains Republican) the Internet will become a place of horror, complexity, higher costs, and poor service. "Terms of Service" are already being rewritten by the 3 major Internet Service Providers (ISPs).

If they have their way the Internet will become just as horrible as cable TV, with a bewildering array of plans and bundles, surcharges, deliberately slowed channels. The United States will suffer yet more business disadvantage as it tries to compete globally, all for very few large and greedy ISPs.

:angry4: