Stonewall's Chatter (Running the Forum, tech, etc.)

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Stonewall
Site Admin

Links to Messages: Solved

Postby Stonewall » 2011 Aug 09 17:54

A user complained that another user's link to a message went to the wrong place, so I checked it out. He's right.

The fault was one of link usage. We all assumed the URL of a message title is the same as the "postlink" one should use for referencing purposes. It isn't, an annoyingly subtle fact. The incorrect links worked only if both poster and reader had their sort preferences for postings set in the same direction, ascending or descending.

The proper link is on the little "Image by" symbol under every message title. Right-click copy link location. When you link to other forum messages, use its "Image by" symbol link value.

I've gone through some of the forum topics to correct them and will get to others as I can, but will probably miss some. Damn computers!
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Stonewall
Site Admin

Re: Stonewall's Techie/Help Chatter

Postby Stonewall » 2012 Oct 09 00:49

Ladies and Gents, I've noticed that our server has been a little unreliable lately. I see it working properly about 90% of the time but dead the other 10%.

I'd appreciate your view of its reliability. What do you see? Is it always on for you or do sometimes get a "no server" message? I need to know its behavior so I can complain to the server company if something is wrong.

:dontknow:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Oct 09 09:05

I sent you an e-mail with details. Tried to post it here but got booted with a "server error" message.

:dontknow:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2012 Oct 09 12:34

Status report: I had a long session with a technical support person at the server hosting company. We twiddled several server parameters, so I'm watching for any effect ... let me know if you see further instances of bad behavior. Thanks Fangz.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2012 Oct 09 16:28

Coondog still finds it necessary to log in upon each visit. This makes coondog unhappy. It is supposed to remember coondog (because coondog asked it to).

Maybe it has old timers disease and just forgets.........or maybe it remembers but wants to aggrivate coondog, anyway.

When you're not logged in, your preferences don't work and everything is in ascending order. When things are in ascending order, confusion sets in. When confusion sets in.............................

CD :hammer:

Crux

On that smiley...

Postby Crux » 2013 Feb 20 12:19

Hey Stone, Thanks again for the angel smiley. :angel5:

You can't re-instate the patriotic smiley? I would suggest getting rid of the SUICIDE SMILEY in deference to wo. :coffee:

:surrend:

OK OK no patriotic smiley... Could you add a smiley that rolls off a cliff? We could have suicide without the gun, ya know?
Speaking of, I would advocate for ANOTHER gun smiley...

cheerscrux :beer:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2013 Apr 25 11:22

Note to our distinguished participants:

One cannot help but notice that postings are sometimes contaminated by spelling errors. Do they give an impression that our participants are less perfect than, deep in our hearts, we know they must be?

Full Disclosure of Your Administrator's Prejudice:
Microsoft Internet Explorer is inferior to Firefox in many ways. The feature that makes Firefox shine here is its automatic, built-in, spell checker. Use whichever browser you please, just wanted you to know.

Regular

My funny avatar

Postby Regular » 2013 Dec 22 09:49

Dear Stonewall,

Can you please explain to me how it is that someone, you - I guess, got into my secure account and assigned me a hilarious avatar?

Your welcome email to me states:
"Your password has been securely stored in our database.."

And the Administators Welcome on the forum says:
"Users have the option of identifying themselves or remaining anonymous.."

Thanks for thinking of me and I hope you meant no harm. I really do like it.

Please reply publicly.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Re: My funny avatar

Postby Stonewall » 2013 Dec 22 11:14

Yes, I did it, as I often do for newbies on the Forum when they neglect to choose an avatar, in my role as administrator.
You may delete and replace it with one more to your liking.
Go to User Control Panel, Profile, Edit Avatar.
Pardon my weakness, giving in to an irresistible urge to stab at humor!

Crux

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 22 13:39

Just wow. :shakeh:

I am not surprised by the Administrators belittling THIS "newbie".

I once saw Stone as being a neutral good guy who was maintaining a real SERVICE to the residents of Rockbridge. An OPPORTUNITY to discuss and debate. A free place where folks could hash out differences. An OPEN marketplace of ideas and differences... That was short lived.

FYI to everyone, your password here is NOT SECURE here as evidenced by stAOnewall's jab at regular. Your posts are subject to his editorializing, re-posting, deleting, and general manipulations, IF you are NOT a Leftist.

It fits a mold. Deride the opposition. Bully. Belittle...
This is "editorial license" by the Admin. To any one who wishes to participate do so with the knowledge that this is a biased site run by a biased Administrator, who posts as the "wiseone", I believe.

Care to correct me either of you?

If I am right this is ANOTHER violation of the Admin's own guidance.
Along with the lip service of a welcoming politeness and good humor.

First of all to NoAbsoluteRules, and the newest regular, again, welcome.

Two new members in a week! Different perspectives and political persuasions I gather. One of the first things I did when coming to the Forum was to start a WELCOME thread. I thought it would be helpful and encouraging to new members... stAOnewall deleted it.

This place has long history of running off any right wing opposition. cannon, snakeboy (kevsky) and I are a recent right wing trio. I don't think there has EVER been 3 "righties", call us what you will. We speak with three different and distinct voices...

Now we have REGULAR? Did this PUSH our administrator into a dark place?

A CHRISTIAN!! ICK!!! :sigh:

The administrator put up a crude derogatory avatar for a new soul who DARED to post. To regular and everyone here I say this:

It is better to be regular than constipated, and if you have ever had major surgery, you know how precious proper bodily function really is!

crux

Lastly to stone whoever you are. Why don't you rise to the occasion and stop with the bias and let this Forum THRIVE by taking up my challenge to you...

IMPARTIALITY At least when you are "stonewall"...

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2013 Dec 22 13:57

I have only the highest respect for all participants on the Forum.
My only aim is to help, and make the Forum experience rewarding and enjoyable for participants.
If any user does not like his initial placeholder avatar, then he may either delete it on his own or ask me to delete/replace it.
As explained many, many times before, I do not alter posted content except as explained in Administrator's Welcome.
Free speech – intelligent, dumb, soothing, and strident - all reign here.
Carry on, and the best o' the season to ye all.

PS. I have no idea what any participant's password is, and I have no way of knowing because of the technical design of the security system. On the other hand, the phpBB software used here allows the Administrator to edit postings and profiles, an ability essential to keeping the system running.

Regular

My funny avatar

Postby Regular » 2013 Dec 22 17:12

Stonewall - I hope you don't mind, but I was hoping to go a little further with this thread.

First, I wanted to say, that I used to be constipated... most of my life. That was until I became a Christian. :turn: I'm just kidding on that one. Actually, hydration is the key. Everyone told me, but I just didn't learn until I was ready. That's like lots of things.

Anyway, do you all like the avatar that Stonewall assigned to me? The blue bottle of medicine is funny, but I actually don't need the "white stuff" these days. Do you have other suggestions? I'm open and would appreciate your input.

Also, on this thread... tell us about your avatar. Do you still like it? Do you want suggestions for a new look?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2013 Dec 22 17:44

Great, let me know what you decide and if you need any action by me.

Crux

Just WOW...6 minutes of separation.

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 22 23:55

First off forgive the length of this post. It's important, and I think most good and honest observers would too. We have to hold to a good and true path...

Secondly Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year in this Season to All!

So AO does his best on the Evolution Thread, basically nit-picking and ignoring larger points and larger issues. Nothing new there. Then 6 minutes later you jump in here and continue to shut down the newb with feigned care and help?

You two are quite the team. So kind. So helpful. I remember when I first came around this forum, and endured the games, the feigned ethical debate. The slights and barbs. They hurt. They worried and sickened me. Sam pulled me back and I stayed in the struggle for him, and for balance. I have GROWN.

I picked my own avatar by the way. I wonder what you might have chosen?

I really can not quite believe the brinksmanship here Stone. It's your baby. Why you want to shake it this way is beyond me. Your choice of avatar for this new poster is so JV. It is not some playful stab at humor, and you two know it.

You will have to try hard to convince the fair minded that this is not bullying.

Here are your welcoming words as posted on the Administrator's Welcome:

"Welcome to folks interested in the news of Rockbridge County, Virginia and beyond. We welcome all thoughtful postings and want to make this place especially hospitable to current and former area residents."

Poking fun at a "regular" guy? Or worse yet maybe at a WOMAN?
This is how you roll? :clap: Was it worth the chuckle? Let's go on:

1. Be spirited but friendly, using logic and persuasion rather than insult and intimidation.
2. Users have the option of identifying themselves or remaining anonymous, but in all cases responsible behavior is expected.

I believe the Admin aught to try a little harder. I have heard you Stone be contrite and even apologetic at times. I like that quality. It is honorable.

3. The Administrator dislikes attacks or remarks of a personal nature on named persons (other than public figures who are fair game) and may either edit out such remarks or ban the user.
4. Spirit and enthusiasm can veer into attacks which is OK if one is attacking ideas, principles, or alleged statements of fact. Discouraged are disparaging remarks aimed personally at people who post here (ad hominem attacks.)

These are great guides Stone and you are right to hold us all to them I think.
I think of AO and his incredible name calling recently. Did you chastise him?

He has behaved much better lately since your polling endeavor. I thank him.
I try to elevate my game because you two inspire me to be the "better man".

Sincerely, crux "Because I care..."

Foster a site that holds to a higher standard. I have not always been as tempered as I could be, but you really MUST be honest with yourselves.

Don't you?
Is your choice of Av for the newbie acceptable, and ethical?

Juggler

Sense of Humor

Postby Juggler » 2013 Dec 23 10:43

If you have to suggest, then it probably won't work.

Crux

Hey Little Brother!

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 23 11:39

Murry Christmas! I especially like the parking meter and the LOL. :hammer:

I don't think pokin' fun at a new poster by assingn' them a crude avatar FUNNY.
That's just me. You think it's funny and appropriate? Ever since Momma died you have been too influenced by Auntie Nudge. I try to let you find your way in the world Bro'. I try to hold my advice for those times you seek it out...

crux

...and I will try to listen to the wisdom you share Little Brother. regular took it in stride, but if you have read the exchange, Stone shut him down COLD. LB, you are a MASTER of the PHOTO IMAGE. Maybe you have a more appropriate avatar, as per regular's invite for input? A suppository perhaps? :sigh:

clowns...

Crux

Re: Evolution, Is it Fact or Fiction

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 12 17:52

Stonewall, you have managed to make a mess.

Fangz, in the Healthcare thread posted about the use of antibiotics in factory farm raised animals "mutating". AO made a point about evolution deniers.
You left that stand, and moved MY response to AO, over to the Evolution thread, where now he has responded...

You have DISJOINTED the flow completely.

Can't you leave stuff ALONE? It made more sense in CONTEXT. :dontknow:

I am trying to be helpful Stonewall. Seriously.

crux

In my opinion, the first post belonged in the Health thread, and the two succeeding posts are better placed in the Evolution thread. Yes, they are related, but more to the topic than to each other. -Stonewall

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2014 Sep 24 17:40

A recurring annoyance here is some spammer jerk who keeps posting sales junk for Chinese cell phone jammers. When I see such postings, I delete both the user and his messages immediately.

But they just keep coming back, like zombies. Why anybody would think it's a smart idea to sell equipment that breaks cell phone communications and violates the law is beyond me, but apparently there are ill-gotten gains to be had. There's a criminal born every minute, together with an ample supply of suckers.

I have a simple little anti-spambot question that forces the criminal to read and answer a question as a human being in order to register, but that doesn't seem to stop him. Since nothing else works, I'm now blacklisting his actual IP address every time he posts. Unfortunately, he uses dozens of IP addresses all over the US, so it's messy. I hope I don't lock out legitimate US users in blocking him.

PS. Since so much spam originated from China and Russia, my IP blocking measures have now closed Rockbridge Forum to millions of IP addresses in those countries, not that we ever had any legitimate users there.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2014 Dec 04 21:34

Having great difficulty over the past days with this site. Time outs. Slow. Error Messages. Bad Juju!

There is either a fly in the ointment or........nah, it's not moi!?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2014 Dec 04 23:40

Thanks for the performance report, Coondog. I appreciate both good and bad observations.

From this end, it looks fine, so I'd be interested in hearing from other users if performance is glitchy lately.

I notice that you enter via Embarq IP addresses, and the pattern of your sign-ons indicates that Embarq is dynamically assigning IP addresses. (In plain English, this means they have fewer IP addresses than customers and so when one customer goes offline, his freed-up address is reassigned temporarily to another customer, round-robin fashion.)

My guess is that it's a temporary Embarq problem, but I cannot prove it. Talk to them and let me know how this evolves.

Return to “MAIN FORUM”