Re: Forum Usage Tip from Stonewall

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Stonewall
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Feb 12 12:26

Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Stonewall
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Feb 16 12:14

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Feb 16 14:37

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 17 07:29

Hey Stonewall it took me several tries but I got it and it worked. Thanks for the tip. You are one great stone :turn:

resigned

Postby resigned » 2009 Feb 18 06:37

Ok got a new one for you Stonewall. How can I embed a Microsoft Power point slide show in the forum? Or is that possible. Just wondering. Thanks

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Mar 14 01:38

Attachments
PowerPoint.ppt
(71 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Apr 17 13:57

FYI, your mild-mannered Administrator has been at war with Russian spam bots for the past 3 days.

I've squashed about 20 Russian spammers, after they registered and before they posted anything foul.

They're now permanently blocked, but somebody may sneak in. Give me a shout if you see anything odd, and be patient if I don't crush them immediately.

:toothy:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Re: Stonewall's Forum Techie/Help Chatter

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Jun 15 13:18

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Jun 17 10:44

Hey, Stonewall, thanks for doing battle with these digital Zombie's. I for one would be interested to hear reports from the front. Do these bots have some sort of nefarious purpose beyond the digital vandalism?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Jun 17 13:46

They surely have only nefarious purpose, if we don't always understand exactly what. Usually it is to separate people from their money, but who knows what evil lurks in the heart of bot?

Most of the spambot registrations and postings here were from IP addresses tied to ISP's in Russia, Ukraine, China, and a few African countries. But we don't really know where the criminals reside, since they splay bots onto servers around the world. The bots make hundreds of millions of attempts each day to post their trash.

So far so good ... not a single spambot has entered since I started asking "how many noses does a human have." Spambots are evil but dumb. So far.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Jun 18 09:53

Uji

Re: Stonewall's Techie/Help Chatter

Postby Uji » 2009 Jun 20 12:28

Very cool, Stonewall. Thanks.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Sep 03 08:32

What are the chances of accomodating larger avatars? I would like to change mine but all of my favorite things are far too large for this site. Most other sites accomodate avatars of at least 100 x 100 pixels.

Halloween is coming soon and I need a new vampire just for the occasion.

Fang-ks to you.
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Sep 03 10:38

Your avatar is 48x48 pixels at the moment and the allowable size is 55x55.

Yes I can increase the size but confess to being repelled by the visual appearance of sites with large avatars, often occupying more page space than the text of the message.

Let's compromise ... I've re-set the avatar maximum size to width=104 x height=78 pixels. I hope you can re-size avatar(s) of your choice to fit; if you'd like assistance, send the raw image to me and I'll re-size it for you.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Sep 03 11:57

Fang-k you ver-r-r-r-y much. I was rather fearful that squeezing a favorite basically in half would destroy the artistry of the image.

By the by, I have a couple of friends who have forums powered by Proboards. They accomodate avatars of up to 100 x 100 and seem to have just about an equal amount of posting space as does this forum. As I was adding a new avatar to one of those forums earlier today, I wondered why the ones here were so small and was saddened that some of my favorite vampire buddies could not be used here.

I appreciate the compromise and hopefully I can re-size without losing the artistry.

:wink2:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Sep 06 09:36

The Rockbridge Forum gives participants the option of using their names or aliases, a good policy for many reasons.

One hopes that American government will never . Pity the Chinese people who must suffer under it.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Sep 27 10:27

I finally followed your suggestion and switched to Mozilla Firefox ( after taking a nerve-wracking beating from IE8).

I absolutely love it!!! Dang, it makes life on the net so much easier.........and faster!

Thanks for the suggestion.

:pat:

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2009 Sep 27 12:10

Glad you like it! Firefox is much more secure than Internet Explorer (IE) and has always been speedier, also offering the advantage of a huge number of specialized plug-ins if you want them. Everybody loves the built-in spell checker. I haven't yet looked at IE8 so don't know if it is catching up.

I can't tell you how many people I've encountered who say the same thing as you. Most of us use Firefox for everything except the one thing Microsoft will not allow it to work on, Microsoft Updates. So everybody must keep IE installed for that purpose alone.

PS. A Microsoft scandal. Remember, many Firefox users choose Firefox to avoid Microsoft's security vulnerabilities. Recently Microsoft pushed out an update which installed Microsoft's ".NET" framework as a Firefox plug-in, thereby introducing Microsoft vulnerabilities into Firefox. They told nobody, installed it without permission and, get this, disabled the "uninstall" button! Well, the tech world exploded in rage and so Microsoft released an update to that plug-in now allowing an uninstall. I uninstalled mine immediately.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Postby Stonewall » 2010 Apr 23 09:59

Stonewall
Site Admin

Stonewall's Feeble Protest

Postby Stonewall » 2010 Jun 15 10:25

Who isn't unhappy over Chinese censorship of the internet and police-state requirements it places on internet companies? Google closed its China operations in protest.

Your humble Administrator cannot do this, unless the Chinese border is closer to Rockbridge than I think. So I've blacklisted all Chinese IP addresses.

This will prevent Chinese participation on the Forum, too bad, but of no importance since we have no such users anyway.

But it will also block (the government approved search engine that replaced Google) from crawling and indexing this Forum. (I have actually caught Chinese crawlers frequently on the Forum.)

Take that, you Chicoms!