Unchecked Power

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
fangz1956

Re: Unchecked Power

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Dec 15 08:32

Great read, WO! Thanks for sharing it.

Do you have a link to that article so I can share it elsewhere? I belong to 3 other political discussion groups and this would be a wonderful piece to talk about.

:coffee:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Dec 15 09:56

The text was emailed to me by a close friend who is a retired diplomat and former president of the American Foreign Service Association.

I just searched the internet and was unable to find the link, maybe because Freeman's speech was given just 3 days ago at MIT. It'll doubtless get onto the net sometime soon, so keep looking.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Kevsky

Postby Kevsky » 2013 Dec 15 14:06

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2013 Dec 18 07:35

NSA's Goal is Elimination of Individual Privacy Worldwide

I do believe that is true. Thanks to folks like Greenwald, Snowden, Manning & Assange we might never have seen any light at all shed on the shadowy workings of the government. Now that the public discussion has begun, we need to act to turn this thing around before it's too late. I don't believe we can thrive in a world ruled by "terror" threats concocted by those who are supposedly large and in charge. This folks have shown themselves to be dishonest manipulators of the public trust........and they have got to be shown the door in short order.

:shakeh:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

Stay in the now.

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 18 08:13

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the ... html?hp=l6

The pieces are being pushed about the board. Why hide the play?

NoAbsoluteRules

Re: Stay in the now.

Postby NoAbsoluteRules » 2013 Dec 18 12:25

From the White House website:
My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

The irony continues.

Crux

Irony?

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 18 16:54

I call it BS.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Jan 17 16:57

Julian Assange on Obama's NSA Speech

Only takes a few minutes and is well worth a listen. he is absolutely correct when he states that Obama was dragged kicking and screaming into this important national discussion.

:wink:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 17 20:39

fangz1956 wrote:Julian Assange...is absolutely correct when he states that Obama was dragged kicking and screaming into this important national discussion.

:wink:

The honest observer would acknowledge that CANDIDATE Obama regularly RIPPED the the very kinds of activities, that have INCREASED under him.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 17 22:38

Yes, Obama has been waaay wrong on this NSA stuff for a long time.
His latest concession came only because of the Assange/Manning/Snowden actions and pressure.
Those concessions are tepid and superficially cosmetic.
We need to push much harder on this ... the fight is not over.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2014 Jan 19 00:49

Here's just how superficial (and bad) Obama's tentative move to correct abuses actually is.

Crux

NYC and NY

Postby Crux » 2014 Jan 20 09:18

http://nypost.com/2014/01/19/cops-beat- ... jaywalked/

84 year old man bloodied. This is not some bottle throwing Occupy Wall Street twerp. This is not some Anarchist Know Nothing... 84 YEARS OLD and just wow.

Law suit? We do not know the whole story, but that this was precipitated by
JAY WALKING, and couldn't be handled more delicately? Young punk this ain't.

Governor (D) Cuomo on "extreme" conservatives:

"You’re seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are."

Wow... This is not what I want from our Representatives, Right of Left.
I love how words are used. How labels and bumper sticker logic falls short.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2014 Feb 11 16:19

Spot on! :wink:

Crux

This is what the Left Looks Like

Postby Crux » 2014 Feb 14 13:54

On Executive Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3IWq3CXHyc

OH-BAH-MAH in 2008, ripping Bush. What a LIAR.

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2014 Feb 14 16:39

Power corrupts and destroys perspective.
Obama needs watching just as Bush needed watching.

Crux

Go back to play acting BBSC

Postby Crux » 2014 Feb 14 18:34

Obama is suffering from his own FLAWS. He is choosing his path.
You GLOSS over the height of his hypocrisy...

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2014 Feb 14 18:50

Who's glossing? I say slam the bastards whenever they do the wrong thing, whoever they are.
Obama was very wrong on the NSA thing awhile back, has moved a bit in the right direction, but has a long way yet to go.
Keep up the pressure on him.
As for bypassing Congress, he has a bum rap on that. Congress has essentially taken itself out of the loop.
Obama will just have to do what he can on his own.

Crux

Total Cop Out

Postby Crux » 2014 Feb 14 19:02

Your very quote below BEGS for greater unchecked power. :sigh: Sad...
Bigbux Stogeychomper wrote:As for bypassing Congress, he has a bum rap on that. Congress has essentially taken itself out of the loop.
Obama will just have to do what he can on his own.

My Friend, I will try. Read this slow and digest it before you default into bias.

Yours is a dangerous and ignorant statement. Do you value a balance of Power? Do you know where bills are written? Do you value Representative Government? Let's take part of "the congress" you speak of. The house of Representatives. Our most DIRECTLY elected representatives in Washington, every two years. The President by rights has to deal with them. He is not a Dictator. The Senate is part of Congress. Take note: There was a time that STATE LEGISLATURES elected these Senators to go to D.C. to represent THEIR STATE'S INTERESTS. Regardless, The Senate has to deal with the House. You think the Senate has dealt with the House these past few years? Take passing budgets as an example where the answer is NO.

I would submit it is the President who is IRRESPONSIBLE to "take himself out of the loop"! He is ONE MAN. Please self examine your sentiment and go back to your shallow play acting, "BIGBUXSTOGEYCHOMPER". You are just advocating for Authoritarianism.

You are not thinking clearly about WE THE PEOPLE.

crux :salut:

Bigbux Stogeychomper

Postby Bigbux Stogeychomper » 2014 Feb 14 19:34

Bigbux Stogeychomper wrote:Obama will just have to do what he can on his own.

What part of "what he can" do you not understand?
What the President can do on his own is severely limited by the separation of powers explicit in the Constitution.
He's mostly stayed within prescribed limits, but probably pushed the line in the NSA area (with the implicit approval of Congress up to now, but thankfully they are starting to push back.)

Crux

"Pushback?"

Postby Crux » 2014 Feb 14 19:52

Dude. A sitting U.S. Senator has SUED Obama! You call that "Pushback"? It's EPIC...

The NSA is but ONE issue that concerns many of us I assure you.