Are the Media Biased?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Wise One

Re: HUH?

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 30 14:12

crux wrote:I would expect Al J to be on the scene in a way our media would not... No mystery.

You would be wrong.

Our media are not there because they have essentially closed down reporter operations in other countries, concentrating instead on cheap (in both senses of the word) domestic gossip and diatribe.

Al Jazeera is not there because they got caught practicing journalism. There's little chance of that happening to our media.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

I know times are tough for media...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 30 18:43

...but I made a simple and obvious point. Do not be so silly friend.
It will be far easier, and obvious that Al J would BE THERE...

crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Wise One

Re: Are the Media Biased?

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 30 20:29

You are indeed an obtuse one. Al Jazeera, because they are practicing real journalism, has officially been expelled. Fortunately, they continue to operate under the radar and via back channels, producing the best information flow from that country right now.

In a measure of just how disgusting our own corporate "news" outlets have become, they not only fail to produce coverage of their own from their on-scene reporters, because they don't have any, but they are also blocking that coverage from being distributed within the United States. If you want to see it, you must step across the border to Canada.

Crux

Easy there Sputnik...

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 30 21:03

QUOTED are from the article...

"Al Jazeera English launched in the fall of 2006, opening a large bureau on K Street in downtown Washington, but has made little progress in persuading cable companies to offer the channel to its customers.
The objections from the cable companies have come for both political and commercial reasons..."

IT IS available ONLINE, as the article points out. Calm down there big fella... If a private business is worried that it will LOSE customers or ADVERTISERS, there you go!

...as well "Dish Network and DirecTV are temporarily allowing subscribers to access Al Jazeera. It can be found on channel 9410 on Dish Network and 375 on DirecTV".

If response is good, they may carry it. I suppose we could be like Canada use the power of Government to FORCE private companies to broadcast it... "In Canada, national regulators can require cable companies to provide certain channels and Al Jazeera ran a successful campaign to encourage Canadians to push the government to intervene".

I would rather the American approach where The People PUSH PRIVATE COMPANIES to broadcast...

Besides, the internet and New Media is making the BIGGIES more and more irrelevant...

crux
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Wise One

Re: Easy there Sputnik...

Postby Wise One » 2011 Jan 31 14:08

Yes, as I said, American telecoms are pinheads in their vision of what should ride on their wires. If it's not revenue producing gossip and diatribe appealing to the lowest denominator, they have no interest. Al Jazeera hasn't a chance, but Jerry Springer and Ann Coulter get an easy ride.

crux wrote:... use the power of Government to FORCE private companies to broadcast it...

There you go again, fierce in your opposition to something nobody wants. Add this to the list of non-problems that always hold higher priority among conservatives than real ones.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2011 Jan 31 14:49

Wise One wrote:There you go again, fierce in your opposition to something nobody wants. Add this to the list of non-problems that always hold higher priority among conservatives than real ones.

What? "Using the power of government to FORCE private companies to broadcast (...)"
...or by extension the very concept of: Privately Owned Companies/Government Control=Fascism?

Nobody wants this? This is a Non Problem?
Gee. I hadn't noticed.

:sleepy:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2011 Apr 11 11:45

The Washington Post's Dependence On the Government It Covers

Greenwald gives us an enlightening read and explains nicely the death spiral of the Free Press.

:wink2:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Re:

Postby Wise One » 2011 Apr 11 12:06

crux wrote:Using the power of government to FORCE private companies to broadcast ...or by extension the very concept of: Privately Owned Companies/Government Control=Fascism? Nobody wants this? This is a Non Problem? Gee. I hadn't noticed.

This is the raving of a person determined to convince us he is incapable of logical thought.
Dear readers, if any of you can divine even the thinnest thread of coherency somewhere in this diatribe I would be grateful to know what it is.
I live in the United States. Nobody here is forced to broadcast.
Or maybe Crux lives on another planet. He should consider emigrating to the United States.

Crux

I am sure it will be easy to suss out the exchange.

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 11 16:16

You are too funny...
Last edited by Crux on 2011 Apr 11 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Crux

Re: Easy there Sputnik...

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 11 16:34

crux wrote:
...as well "Dish Network and DirecTV are temporarily allowing subscribers to access Al Jazeera. It can be found on channel 9410 on Dish Network and 375 on DirecTV".

If response is good, they may carry it. I suppose we could be like Canada use the power of Government to FORCE private companies to broadcast it... "In Canada, national regulators can require cable companies to provide certain channels and Al Jazeera ran a successful campaign to encourage Canadians to push the government to intervene".

I would rather the American approach where The People PUSH PRIVATE COMPANIES to broadcast...

Wise One wrote:
crux wrote:... use the power of Government to FORCE private companies to broadcast it...

There you go again, fierce in your opposition to something nobody wants.

crux wrote:
Wise One wrote:There you go again, fierce in your opposition to something nobody wants. Add this to the list of non-problems that always hold higher priority among conservatives than real ones.

What? "Using the power of government to FORCE private companies to broadcast (...)"
...or by extension the very concept of: Privately Owned Companies/Government Control=Fascism?

Nobody wants this? This is a Non Problem?
Gee. I hadn't noticed.

:sleepy:

So I ask you again. Does nobody wish to use the power of government to force private companies to broadcast particular content? This kind of private ownership and government control would be classic fascism...

Go back to ruminating now on whatever you were ruminating on before your most recent swipe at me BIG-UN... :coffee:

crux

Oh yes. I know I know as well, the FAIRNESS DOCTRINE is a non-worry/issue too... NOBODY (other than TOO MANY on the left) wishes to use the power of government to regulate/censor free speech... The People shouldn't worry about this...

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Apr 11 17:06

Gibberish. I do not have a clue what you mean to say.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 11 17:18

You lamented a BLACKOUT of AlJazeera. You referenced an article which pointed out Canadian government intervention which forced broadcasters to carry AJ. I said I like the model of the MARKETPLACE where the PEOPLE lobby NOT THE GOVERNMENT but rather lobby the broadcasters.

Further I said I do not wish to see a government force a private company to carry AJ.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Apr 11 21:14

crux wrote:You lamented a BLACKOUT of AlJazeera.
No, that is a figment of your warped imagination. I lamented the pinheads of US TV who air only trash they find it cheaper and more profitable than news while Al Jazeera remains in the global news business. There is no "blackout."

crux wrote:You referenced an article which pointed out Canadian government intervention which forced broadcasters to carry AJ.
No, that is a figment of your warped imagination – it didn't happen.

Seriously, there are professionals who might help you get through chronic bouts of delusion. Use them.

Crux

Look stud....

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 11 21:26

...you said BLOCKED, and linked to the article which in huffpo style, hyperventilated with the word BLACKED OUT in the title.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40#p5387

The article you linked to makes the point about Canada/AJ/broadcasters...so Iconflated the words, the article and you, the poster. Blocked/blacked out Huffpo/your point.

JEEZE you are REALLY unhinged! Reread YOUR posts before, what, WEEKS later, challenging my point? You said coverage was BLOCKED, and linked to an article which in the title says backed out.

Take a chill pill.

You are like the NIT PICKER FROM HELL.

Sam

Postby Sam » 2011 Apr 12 05:46

First I don't want Al J and is WO ok?
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Crux

Been wrong for a long time...

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 12 07:34

The wise one such as he is, was missing this one from the beginning. He can beg out of asserting that AJ was BLACKED OUT all he wants, but his IMPLICATIONS were clear. He was asserting that us poor pinhead Americans were not being served by our pinhead news outlets regarding the coverage of events in the middle east. ETC.

...because it was being BLOCKED/blacked out/HIDDEN/kept from us/CENSORED/conspiracy... :upset:

We were ignorant fools because we couldn't get AJ on our satellite feeds (even though carriers like direct TV were picking it up temporarily during the whole Egypt thing-and AJ English was streaming live on the internet long before the crisis and still-and all u.s. news was carrying up to date info-and there are NUMEROUS other news outlets on the net like the Jerusalem Post ETC) :dontknow:

I chalk it up to hyperventilation, then and now. A basic lack of OXYGEN.

BREATH MAN BREATH!!!
:mad:

crux

Oh, and Sam. You put your finger on the issue. You do not want AJ. Too FEW in the US apparently want it to INSPIRE the market decision TO CARRY it... HGTV and FX and TNN and CNN and FOX and all the rest, seem to be where the advertising dollars and the consumer choices resides... :geek:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2011 Apr 12 08:40

Truth is not a nit. Truth is a valued gem that matters more to most than trite slogans and ideology, if not to you.

It is unsurprising that you join the TV networks in recognizing only advertising dollars. Most of us find merit also in other values. We are sad to see US TV decline in its ability to find and report news, and also to witness a decline in the cultural breadth of broadcast offerings as those too come under attack by Republicans.

Advertising revenues? Yes, they establish a price of a media offering, but not its value.
Oscar Wilde wrote:The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Crux

Laughable highmindedness...

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 12 17:29

And you see no conflict here, with the gist of your comments, and the linking and referencing a HUFFPO article?

:shakeh:

What a JOKE.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Jun 03 17:26

I've been reading a bit on the recent massacre in Houla. Children being murdered execution style gets under my skin and makes my blood boil. I don't care who's children they are or where they live........they are children! I did some further digging around on the story and went to one of my favorite sources, Media Lens.

Well, it seems like the good ole boys are at it again. You know who I'm talking about here.......The Blood for Money Gang. The Mafia pales in comparison to the souless evil these people practice. This piece of the reading sums it up quite well:

We recognise the bloody ruthlessness of the Syrian Baathists, epitomised by Assad's father and continued now by his son, Bashar. Whatever the truth of Houla, the reaction of the corporate media has, yet again, made a mockery of the claim that it is a 'free press'. Rather, it has propagandised relentlessly in promoting the US-UK view of the conflict. Once again, war in pursuit of regime change is the real goal behind the 'humanitarian' deceit.

With its usual depth of sincerity and compassion, Murdoch’s Times commented:

‘This newspaper is as wary as anyone in Britain of becoming once again involved in foreign struggles.’

Tragi-comically echoing John Lennon, the editors sighed:

‘We wanted and argued to give peace a chance… But what kind of country would Britain be, and what kind of people would young Syrians take us for, if we allowed the slaughter to continue?’ (Leader, ‘Responsibility to Protect,’ The Times, May 30, 2012)

War, again war, always war - endless war! But then corporate greed is a form of eternal war in pursuit of profit. We are living, very clearly, in a pathologically violent and structurally insane society.

You can read the entire analysis of varied media reporting here.

:curse:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

Citizens United to the RESCUE

Postby Crux » 2012 Aug 23 07:39

...yes fangz... The Arab Spring is hardly a start towards an Islamic Reformation. They gotta learn to play well with others!

Anyway,

When the mainstream media is an out and out cheerleader for Obama, and the Democrat Party, alternative media and in this case, Citizens United, will provide perspective. Get ready to sue to silence speech, but first watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLelSaD1 ... r_embedded

We shall see in November. Obama said no one knew how bad the economy was when he was elected. We know now.
Vote Romney/Ryan for a change in direction. I hope you do. There are a lot of disillusioned Obama voters out there.

For good reason...

crux