Are the Media Biased?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Crux

Re: Are the Media Biased?

Postby Crux » 2015 Apr 10 09:08

I like a Christian Comic, Michael Jr. There is a NUMBER of them. They could be considered "conservative". The Salon piece is pure INVECTIVE.

Salon... Mildly entertaining. OOPS. Was that invective of me?

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 10 09:22

Crux, I wasn't talking specifically about you using invective, rather discussions involving you are often littered with invective, likely because of frustration on both sides. OTOH, clever, funny invective enlivens the conversation.

I'm not familiar with Michael Jr.; I'll check him out.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 10 10:03

Hmm? I just stumbled on an article from The Atlantic. There seems to be a run on comedy as subject matter.

The piece makes a couple of interesting, though not surprising points. First, the folks who complain about comedy to the FCC "are people who identify, in many cases, as white and Christian." It also notes that "comedy, of course, isn't about equal playing fields. Very often it's about questioning existing power structures." Although the author doesn't make this point directly, I venture to say these two things are closely connected; after all, white Christians control the power structure and naturally don't want any chinks in their armor (e.g., hypocritical positions) exploited, especially by comedy, which is a very potent medium.

Crux

Are the Media Biased? Yes...

Postby Crux » 2015 Apr 22 18:26

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... y-melchior

4 top flight MSNBC News personalities owe large sums in back taxes... Who'd a thunk it.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 22 19:27

It must be a black thing — a passive-aggressive attempt at reparations. :toothy:

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Apr 23 07:39

I did not notice. I only know Harris-Perry and Tourre' as leftists. They left out Sharpton who owes far grander sums.

1Centrist

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Apr 23 10:19

One of the best discussions on the current trade issue I've seen is on last night's Hardball. The link is http://www.msnbc.com/hardball, and it's the first archived clip entitled "The trade debate heats up."
(Stonewall, I was completely unable to figure out how to use the msnbc tag.)

I don't think you would ever see something like this on Fox News Channel, i.e., realistic, opposing views of policy and politics, particularly when the preponderance of views are against the station's and host's bias. (n.b., Matthews is very pro Obama and MSNBC is owned by Comcast, which can't be more pro corporatist.)

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2015 Jun 21 21:05

treefoxobama.jpg
treefoxobama.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 2626 times

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2015 Jun 23 11:41

This pretty well sums up the performance by Fox News following the Charleston massacre.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2015 Jul 11 07:40

Included in this link is a pretty cool interview that gives a great perspective on the meaning of the recent "No" vote in Greece. Personally, I hope they ultimately choose to leave the EU for their own self preservation and to prove to the rest of the sheeple in the world that real democracy does exist and that there is a better way than endless austerity under the EU, ECB, and IMF.

http://www.fair.org/audio/counterspin/C ... 071015.mp3

Go Greece!!!! :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

To Unionize or Not To Unionize

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 14 18:38

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2015 Aug 15 08:34

Amazing. An employer who thinks "unions are not what's best for my employees."

That's a first, eh?

Crux

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 15 11:52

A LEFTIST employer. What is interesting is the reasons he gives generally are arguments AGAINST Unionization across the board.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2015 Aug 27 07:52

Jorge Ramos Commits Journalism

Oh my gawd.......the world will stop turning because a real journalist actually asked some challenging questions to the great God Donald. The outrageous part of the whole affair are the journalists who are hurling baseless accusations at Ramos......and most of those folks should be drummed out of the profession and given jobs cleaning sewer systems.

It is nice to know that there are one or two real journalists left in the world. We would really be sunk without them.

:coffee:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Crux

You are mistaken

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 28 08:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_HaEOIJhM&safe=active

This 4 minutes was actually a great moment for Trump. Trump handled Ramos fine. Ramos was rude, and not interested in Trumps answer.

Ramos was every bit the bulldog, and that's fine but Trump handled him fine. He was originally kicked out for being disruptive. He was invited in and was given MORE than a fair shot. To suggest Trump isn't asked tough questions is silly. This 4 minutes payed VERY well for Trump make no mistake.

Remember that MOST folks in this Country have a big problem with the illegal invasion of our Country and the lack of Law Enforcement.

Ramos is every bit as much AN ACTIVIST as a Journalist, probably more so. His daughter does she work for the Hillary campaign?

Hillary.... :laughing:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2015 Aug 28 08:48

Nope....Ramos was not rude. Trump was a jerk for not answering a question and handling the situation in the manner he did. Crux, you are like far too many people in this country who seem to have forgotten what the job of a journalist and the free press is. That job is to hold accountable the people in power. Their job is to speak truth to power....not to be secretaries relegated to taking down a dictated & pre-approved story line.

Too bad if the infantile Trump is unprepared to respond to questions about his ghastly and unrealistic immigration plan. If he can't answer an honest question with at least a decent outline of how the plan would be implemented and funded, then he is certainly is not worthy of even being considered to lead a nation. He is a very ignorant and dangerous man. Too bad he only wants press that makes him look good....another big chink in his armor just as it is with Hillary's treatment of the press.

I think you need to go back to school and restudy that part about free press. As for the rules of decorum in a press conference, there really are none if the journalists in attendance are worth their salt. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those clowns are groveling lap dogs who are too damn afraid of losing their invitations to gala events to do their damn jobs. This country would be in far better shape with more journalists like Ramos and less like Bill O'Reilly, Chuck Todd, and David Gregory.

I do not think you have been paying attention to what has happening to the real journalists in this country....they are being gagged, threatened with prison, and generally intimidated by those wielding the most power. There is something very wrong with this picture and it is the ignorant voting populace like you and your ilk that seem to think that is just fine.

Wake the hell up and catch a clue, dude! You have become a damn sheep and don't even know it.

:banghead: :banghead:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2015 Aug 28 09:02

Crux

Intelligent and correct....

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 28 15:52

I am all for the press and tough questions. We can disagree on whether Ramos was rude or effective.
He has been criticized by pretty mainstream sources, as being both. You need to slow down a bit...

You can learn a lot by paying attention. Here, to Janell Ross, a reporter for The Fix who writes about race, gender, immigration and inequality.

In practical terms: Ramos stood up and began asking questions at the start. He didn't wait to be called on by Trump. And, in the now-well-documented moments that followed, Trump told Ramos to "sit down" and "go back to Univision."

Trump told the reporters who remained in the room after Ramos' short-lived ejection that he didn't know Ramos. He went on to describe Ramos as "quite emotional." But he did somehow seem to know precisely for whom Ramos reports.

It's worth noting quickly here that Trump is in the middle of suing Ramos's employer — the Univision network. In June, The Miami-based organization unceremoniously canceled plans to air the Miss Universe pageant and a five-year deal to do the same. The entertainment division of the network decided that it no longer wanted to do business with Trump, the pageant's partial owner, after Trump described the people coming across the U.S., Mexico border as rapist and criminals during a speech in which Trump announced his plans to run for president.

So, to say that Ramos — one part journalist, one part activist — understands a critical part of his job to include questioning Donald Trump and challenging Trump's ideas on immigration — well, that would be an understatement.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is some reality. Politicians are HURTING this country by not enforcing our immigration laws and our southern border.

71% of illegals are on welfare, we have read recently. There is a VERY LARGE percentage of our prison population that is comprised of illegals.
We should have built up walls, fences and border enforcement many years ago. The drugs, gangs, murders, rapes, drunk driving deaths etc are SIGNIFICANT problems for our society. Recently it was estimated that Trump's enforcement suggestions would cost 126 million dollars, and that was supposed to SHOCK and DISSUADE us. If we deported 50,000 folks back to their home countries, do you realize how many others would simply leave?

Do you understand that we NATURALIZE LEGALLY 1,000,000,000 folks each year?
That we have an immigration rate and reality for Green cards, etc that is really rather remarkable?

I am not swayed by the silly attacks upon my supposed disdain for a free press. Come on. You are so off it is not funny. Ramos is an important figure in the scheme of things but he is SELF DESCRIBED as a journalist and SOCIAL JUSTICE ACTIVIST. I am on target. See it differently I don't care....

CRUX no doubt

Crux

Ramos was rude and there is no doubt...

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 28 16:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQzSUx-eLDc&safe=active

He just jumped up and started GOING OFF. Trump was calling on a female reporter and Ramos BUTTED RIGHT IN.

The proof of his rudeness was CLEAR. Did you look at the above clip that kicked it all off???

Crux

....and Trump was ON POINT.

Postby Crux » 2015 Aug 28 16:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQpg7zp4XA

Then Trump invited him back in and spent 5 minutes with him on a back and forth.

Fangz, and coondog, you two are really not credible observers....