Are the Media Biased?

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Trend Setter

Are the Media Biased?

Postby Trend Setter » 2008 Sep 05 10:27

Are the Media biased? If so, which ones, and how?

I heard the Republicans whining on and on to this effect at their convention. Is this a valid accusation?

Here is a starter clip ... can you find your own examples, share them here, and explain why the bias in the media is real, good, bad or otherwise?

CNSmith

Re: Are the Media Biased?

Postby CNSmith » 2008 Sep 09 11:48

Reference

It's gotten so bad that Olberman and Matthews were pulled from MSNBC's Election Coverage. Olberman is a tool.

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2008 Sep 09 12:32

Yes, Olbermann does communicate a point of view.

This story's significance seems to be that, with respect to straight news coverage rather than opinion shows, NBC desires to adopt a neutral stance.

Fox-TV and the rest of the conservative media don't even try. The day these media dump Hannity, O'Reilly, etc., all flacks for the Republican Party, will be the day that they finally begin a journey toward becoming "fair and balanced."

I'm not holding my breath.

Another view is that NBC simply buckled under to right-wing pressure, exhibiting mainly cowardice.

PS. Your first link goes only to a general Fox site, nothing specific to the subject matter. Both are Fox and biased toward ultraconservative Republicans.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2008 Sep 09 13:43

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2008 Sep 09 14:05

The media, and I assume we're talking primarily about major network and cable news programs, seem to thrive on rumor and innuendo. They report on it to out-sensationalize one another and leave the details to bloggers and those who fabricate information on the internet to sort it out.

It's one thing to inform people of the facts, another to distort them. And....worse when you claim the former while engaging in the latter. Americans will belive anything that fits with their ingrained viewpoints. We deserve better!

Coondog :cool:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Sep 09 16:19

Here's an interesting and educational tool. It can be easily applied to any news story or anything else that professes to call itself fair and balanced journalism:

The Taxonomy of Poor Journalistic Practices

Overall, this is a valuable website for anyone interested in the straight story as opposed to the distorted one that mainstream corporate media likes to dish out.

:wink:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Sep 09 16:59

Very interesting, Fangz. I'd love to see an Americanized version of this UK-oriented piece, and think I could come up with additional examples of distorting techniques.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

CNSmith

Postby CNSmith » 2008 Sep 10 12:14

Here's the Fox link. It gets good at the end.

And some great reading here.

And I misspelled Olbermann.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2008 Sep 10 17:14

Good read and video. I agree that most of the media is slanted liberal and getting worse. They are becoming more biased every year and the way they have slimed Sarah Palin has been pathetic.

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Sep 11 08:47

On 3 Sep 2008, Glenn Greenwald wrote:The very notion of the "Liberal Media" is one of the most inane myths in American politics -- something spat out and repeated in the lowest right-wing sewers for so long that it has become conventional wisdom -- but Halperin's frequent vouching for that myth, in his role of "journalist," illustrates all one needs to know about him. The media's contempt for both John Kerry and Al Gore was matched only by their reverence for George Bush's swagger. The first several months of media coverage this year was dominated by Jerimiah Wright, lapel pins, bowling scores, Bittergate and elitism. And it is highly unlikely that there has even been a time in American history when the media was as subservient to Government as they were during the Bush era. It's literally hard to imagine a claim that ought to be more discredited in general than the notion of the "liberal media" and its "anti-Republican bias."

I think some folks need to rethink the definition of "liberal media". The establishment media (known as the mainstream) is about as far removed from the concept of "liberal" as one can get. Of course, I do realize that ANYTHING that is printed, written, or broadcast that disagrees with the right wing power class is considered liberal in this country.....that is, anybody who dares disagree with the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, Brit Hume and their ilk are considered to be dangerously liberal and accused of "sliming" the poor victim known as Sarah Palin. Oh my, how my left leaning heart doth bleed.........................

:craz:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2008 Sep 11 12:58

fangz1956 wrote:I think some folks need to rethink the definition of "liberal media".

You got that one right. As most often used, "liberal" simply means "not crazy", where "crazy" is purveyed by all the villains you listed.

I refuse to buy either "conservative" or "liberal" labels. They are not only not useful, they are also misleading.

I support sensible policies and positions, and reject dumb ones. Those are the only labels that make sense.

PS. Those who parrot notions like "most of the media are liberal and getting worse" are either living in a cave or are liars. The majority of US media that state opinion (radio, TV & newspapers), are now owned and operated by ultraconservatives, and their ownership percentage is growing. For example, Fox's Rupert Murdoch just bought the Wall Street Journal. Find even one liberal opinion show on any AM radio station heard in Rockbridge County and I'll eat my shirt.

resigned

Postby resigned » 2008 Sep 13 18:13

According to the Rasmussen reports 69% say reporters try to help the canadidate they want to win.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jul 02 09:20

Glenn Greenwald does it again, taking on National Public Radio's (NPR) detestable "ombudsman" Alicia Shepard.

NPR does a great job overall, so it is more than discouraging that they paid any heed at all to this craven insect's advice that "standards of journalism" require any respect whatever for the tortured language used by torturers in refusing to call torture by its name.

It's more than worth reading ... very keen insight. Because of Greenwald, and Greewald alone, I predict NPR will start practicing real journalism again and re-introduce the word "torture" where it belongs. And I hope this episode will result in the termination of Shepard's employment by NPR.

:clap:

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2009 Aug 29 16:49

I used to really like the Washington Post, reading it most every day.

Over the past 3 years or so, without even realizing it, I've been looking at it less and less. At first, I thought that maybe it's just doing a gradual slide downhill relative to all the other choices we have out there.

But, on seeing this today, I realize that the problem at the Washington Post is a lot more serious than just gradual deterioration. The folks running the Post have switched sides, joining the forces of darkness and evil.

So I've kicked the Washington Post off my "to read" list, with sadness, because I am the first to acknowledge the excellence that lies in their past. Wholly in their past.

:nono: . . . . . :sad:

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2009 Aug 29 19:57

I'm with you on this one. I dumped the Washington Post from my reading list earlier in the summer.....after Glenn Greenwald wrote a column about their firing of Dan Froomkin. He also has a piece about their defense of the Bush-Cheney torture policies. I'll have dig back through archives to find links to those.

It's sad and it's an outrage that a paper such as WaPo has sunk to this level. I used to love to read the WaPo.....expecially on Sundays. I still haven't found a decent replacement for my Sunday news reading.

:coffee:

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2009 Aug 30 08:18

We are really together on this one.

The beat goes on, as the Washington Post finds new depths to descend to.

:angry4:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2009 Dec 23 10:43

Yeah, I feel your pain. I used to find the Washington Post to be a good second-best to the New York Times. Nowadays they seem to be contending with each other in a race to the bottom.

See Glenn Greenwald's excellent column today on NYT coverage of a journalist brutalized by the US in Guantanamo. Nobody can be perfect, but the errors and bias of NYT appear to be growing.

And as for the Washington Post, it is looking more and more like a second-rate Washington Times! You can't get lower than that. And Washington Times under rightie/crazy Rev. Moon is deteriorating financially and may not be with us much longer. (They just canceled weekend publication and are shrinking staff fast.) So I guess that positions the Post well to become a first-rate Washington Times!

:violent1:

Sam

Postby Sam » 2009 Dec 30 06:24

Are the media biased - they sure as hell are. No objectivity as far as I can see.
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Uji

Postby Uji » 2009 Dec 31 13:06

And our standard for "objective" reporting is what? :hmm:

"All media is biased," you say. Doesn't that convey about as much information as saying "all water is wet.?"

It's our job to triangulate on what, to us, appears to be objective reality. However, unless we are measuring the barometric pressure in your back yard, I don't think there is gonna be universal agreement on what objective reality is.

Sam

Postby Sam » 2009 Dec 31 21:07

Ok in keeping with your posting.......Yeah all water is wet. And some water is ice and some I can see is snow. And I still say all media is biased. No one can be neutral its impossible. That young lady is how I see things. Are there biases on this forum? You bet your booty there are. Everyone has their own beliefs, share them and either agree or disagree. Some are somewhat blatant about their disagreements. Some are waiting like a cat to pounce on the mouse. Is it 2010 yet? Nope but soon.

And this is the way I convey information. Take it or leave it. Black is black and white is white. and I am tired of snow already. Happy New year.....is it Spring yet?
Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
"extremists

Return to “MAIN FORUM”