Virginia Transportation

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
1Centrist

Re: Virginia Transportation and Driving

Postby 1Centrist » 2015 Jun 15 13:32

I've never used it, but everything you likely need to know is right here.

Robert Boucher

Stoplight Synchronization & Common Sense Driving

Postby Robert Boucher » 2015 Dec 01 11:00

Is it possible to change the sensors on the stoplights at the Lowe's/Carwash entrance/exit off US-11? The way the sensor is positioned it will activate red lights for north/south traffic on US-11 even if a vehicle is turning a right (heading south) out onto US-11 from said exit. If the position is moved to solely trigger when a vehicle is taking a left (heading north) then it would make more sense. The number of times traffic comes to a halt because someone is taking a right (heading south) is ridiculous. The issue is frustratingly compounded when this signal turns green again and the Walmart light turns red directly afterwards (or vice versa.) This debacle reduces fuel economy, creates more noise, increases congestion, and wastes time. Synchronization of these two stop lights would solve a very basic traffic problem in the area.

In the Commonwealth of Virginia is not illegal (yet) to "cruise in the left lane" however it is good to practice common sense driving. The left lane is meant to reduce traffic allowing those to pass slower vehicles. I don't care if you are going to turn left in a mile - cruise in the right lane, use your mirrors and work your way in the left lane when the upcoming turn is in sight (or 500 yards). If you are turning onto a road with two lanes, turn into the immediate (right) lane and use the left when it is appropriate. This mostly applies to roads outside of the direct city limits with speeds above 35mph. Don't be that driver.

Coondog

Re: Stoplight Synchronization & Common Sense Driving

Postby Coondog » 2015 Dec 02 10:31

It has often been suspected that stoplight synchronization is designed specifically to insure, not traffic fluidity, but that one hits every single red light. Whether this is just devilry or a planned opportunity to pause frequently to enjoy the scenic beauty, examine the locations of businesses and landmarks or providing mental exercises in the form of deciphering cryptic personalized license plates, is, to date, unknown.

If you want to get where you're going, get a bicycle. They are not bound by traffic signals.

Coondog :tiphat:

Robert Boucher

Postby Robert Boucher » 2015 Dec 04 09:08

"If you want to get where you're going, get a bicycle. They are not bound by traffic signals."

I do own a bicycle and ride frequently around town. They ARE bound by the same traffic laws as vehicles only that a vehicle shall yield to a bicycle and/or provide adequate space. Maybe you've seen the "Share the Road" license plates while you were stopped at one of the two intersections that I'm talking about synchronizing.

The "beautiful scenery" to look at in that traffic zone includes a carwash, a gas station, Burger King, a former party store, a couple banks, and two hotels - Lexington's Finest.

Wise One

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2015 Dec 04 10:44

Interesting points. I'm an avid bicyclist, and regard it as a valid transportation mode rather than merely a recreational pursuit.

FYI, there has recently been some evolution in the law and in how we regard best practices for bicycles vs. cars. Here are some highlights:

• "Share the Road" signs are regarded now as not only out of date but also dangerous. Why? Because they are ambiguous. Is the bicyclist obliged to share by yielding to the car, or vice versa? Obviously, the latter is the intended meaning, so there's a rapid migration toward dumping these signs. It's too bad that Lexington got the word too late. Replace them with "Bicycles may use full lane." [Reference]

• The rolling stop, or Idaho Stop, is increasingly taking hold in custom and law as an efficient and safe alternative to enforcing unrealistic dead-stop mandates for bicycles. Ample experience and data support it. [Excellent Reference]
:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2015 Dec 05 13:54

wait.....what?

Bicycles should use the entire lane? That sounds like a good way to get a whole lot of them flattened.

Sure, cars and bikes are subject to traffic laws, but it's not common practice for automobiles to travel two abreast, or jump back and forth from the road to the sidewalk. Generally, cars and trucks travel faster than bikes, particularly up hill.

Coondog has no problem with bicycles, per se. But deference to bicycle traffic ignores the fact that roadways were built and largely paid for by automobiles. Anyone whose posterior can abide those seats deserves some respect, but just move over a bit and let us by and everything will be just fine.

See you at the traffic light on Rt. #11 where your license plate will be examined for esoteric meaning. Oh yea! You don't have a license plate!

Coondog :laughing:

Robert Boucher

Postby Robert Boucher » 2015 Dec 07 09:16

Coondog - you are commenting to comment, off-topic to the point of this thread. (not only in this thread, but in many more I see)

The roads are funded by taxpayers for the purpose of transportation by lawful means. It's the law that a bicycle can ride the entire lane but usually will only do so if the conditions on the right side (white line or shoulder) are unsafe. A car and bicycle can fit in one lane in most cases. Sidewalks run parallel with 1% of the roads in Rockbridge County and a road cyclist isn't lapping the city square nor jumping back and forth from road to sidewalk or using them at all as they are for pedestrians.

Trend Setter

Postby Trend Setter » 2016 Apr 29 13:21

I ran across an announcement by Peter del Vechio regarding the introduction of Uber service in Lexington.

UBER IN LEXINGTON! Lexingtonians, please SHARE. I am a "highest-rated" Uber driver in Charlottesville, but will be driving in LEXINGTON NOV. 21 as an EXPERIMENT - if there is enough interest, I will continue to drive in Lexington/Rockbridge County.
I love Uber and have used it in cities when I travel. What are the chances it can make it in Rockbridge County? Are there any other drivers? I have the Uber app on my cell phone but never see any cars available here. They operate in Charlottesville, Staunton and Roanoke.

:2cent:

PS. Welcome back, Stonewall, and thanks for bringing the Forum back for us. What in the hell really happened? I think the excuse you gave is all trumped up.

BusMan

Postby BusMan » 2016 May 10 12:42

1Centrist wrote:I've never used it, but everything you likely need to know is right here.

News buses hit the streets last week for the Maury Express.

Juggler

Re: Virginia Transportation

Postby Juggler » 2016 Sep 20 12:07

psychic.png
psychic.png (331.16 KiB) Viewed 2865 times