Virginia Transportation

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Sweetness 'n Light

My License

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Feb 15 18:53

So I said I would tell all you guys about my drivers test on February 13 they finally let me take after our lawyer talked to them because the DVM people were giving me a runaround. I'm writing this lots of times with the spellchecker so it won't make some of you guys mad at me anymore maybe, huh?

Last time I did OK on the written but that dead cat was the trouble and they failed me for the driving so I got really upset. I told my husband maybe I should get lots of sleep and be calm and take maybe more medicine before the test but he said "No that's not a good idea" but he doesn't know how bad they made me feel during the last test so when he wasn't looking just before we left then I had twice as much.

I think maybe it helped a lot cause then I did really a great job on the written and driving too. This time they didn't trick me with any oneway streets and I was special careful all the time and calm and even though the test guy I could tell was looking at me strange I didn't let on and pretended everything is hunkydory.

And he told me driving back to the DVM lot that I passed everything and go into the office with him and they would give me my license! I was really really happy at last so my husband doesn't have to drive me everywhere anymore! So then I parked and we went to the office and they were doing all kinds of paperwork and computers and stuff and then they told me to stand in front of the camera for a drivers license picture but then everything changed.

A secretary or something stood up and kind of screamed or something and pointed out the window and everybody looked and I did too and there was a car going downhill in the parking lot and it was my car! I really got sick in my stomach watching and the car went faster and faster and it hit a car and then a wall and then another car and then it stopped. Nobody got hurt but there was lots of damage to two cars and when our insurance man came later and looked at our car he said it wasn't worth enough to fix it and he said "total" or something. The worst thing maybe is one of the other cars that got hit belongs to a man working there in the DVM office and somebody said I didn't put the brake or gear on right and it was my fault but I don't believe him cause I always do that right. A policeman came and talked to everybody and he said he could give me a ticket but he didn't so at least I was glad about that.

Anyway they didn't care anymore that I passed both tests and said they wouldn't give me the drivers license anyway. I started feeling really bad again and my husband drove us home in his truck so I don't know what to do now. Everything I try no matter how hard goes bad on the license and so you see why I'm kind of discouraged right now especially since they let all the illegal foreigners drive anytime they want to. Should I just give up maybe, huh? Or maybe the lawyer can make them give me the license because I really passed?

-Love and kisses to all-

Sweetness 'n Light

PS

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Feb 24 09:12

PS. We met with our lawyer on Friday and he said maybe we might make the DVM give me my license since I really passed all the tests and they even they said I did. The car rolling might be like he says, "independent" so it isn't fair they don't give me my license. The only thing is he wants a whole bunch of money to do all the legal type stuff he says we got to do, maybe more than its worth, huh? So we don't know what we should do cause it's a hard decision.
What do you guys think we should do? It's a hard thing to figure out specially since it costs so much but they give everybody else their license no trouble, so I'm really mad they keep doing bad stuff to me cause maybe they hate me or something. You guys are really really smart so maybe you can give me real good advice on this, huh?
-Love and kisses to all-

Sweetness 'n Light

Why don't you help?

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Mar 08 14:20

I been asking real nice for some help with this really hard problem and I been real nice all the time maybe but nobody is answering so I wonder if you guys who are really smart can help? Maybe it makes me a little mad sometimes you dont answer but I try to keep cheerful anyway cause they say that is a good thing. I bet if you didnt have your license you would have some stress too, huh?

-Love and kisses to all-

Sweetness 'n Light

Re: Virginia Driving:"Civil Remedial Fees" & Other

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Mar 18 17:34

I think maybe it is the same here as everywhere else cause no one really wants to help so its just kind of a waste of time if everybody only cares about their own self and don't care about me when I have a real tough problem.

So it might just be best try to find some people somewhere else that cares, not this forum. So for now it will be bye maybe even though we have to pay that lawyer just about all we have left and my husbands mad at me too cause of all the money going out and no drivers license.

If they ever give me one I think maybe the first illegal foreigner I see driving I'll bump him real real hard with our truck with the big heavy bumper cause it would cause big damage to him and not hurt us a bit, so he would think twice again about breaking all our laws even maybe be in secret some kind of terrorist, huh?

-Love and Kisses to All-

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Apr 13 15:16

Its no thanks to you guys who never did help me even though I asked real nice but I got my license anyway cause maybe I'm smarter than lots of people always say that about me, even you guys so there.

My husband and I were visiting his newphews family in Kentucky then we went driving past there state DVM - its funny they call it the DDL there. I had this good idea maybe if Virginia hates me so much and does everything to keep my license away then I maybe could outsmart them by doing it in another state! So one day when they were at the gun show or something I just went in and got this drivers license cause all the papers they wanted I had with me.

Well, its not quite a drivers license cause since I didn't have a car with me cause I snuk out without my husband and his car for the test then they would only give me a learners permit but thats ok with me cause I figure that is good enough at least for a while before I get the Virginia problem solved, huh?

So now if you see a truck go by with a happy lady, cause the insurance company still wont' give the price we want for the total car from that runaway, that is me. I didnt' even tell my husband in case he sometimes gets mad but when he goes traveling with his buddies or work like he does a whole lot, then I just drive the truck wherever I want. So far its real good and I really really like driving all over the place again finally and maybe it serves those guys down at the DVM real good that their hateful mistreatment got outsmart. I didnt want that big old truck from my husband but its ok now cause I'm used to it now and it goes a lot faster than I thought.

-Love and kisses to all-

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2008 Apr 14 13:11

Let me get this straight. You are driving in Virginia, on a Learner's Permit issued by another state, alone in your husband's truck without his knowledge or permission? Sounds to me like you might be an illegal alien!

:tongue3: Can't wait for this story's fascinating new chapters, written by your Husband, the Law and your Insurance Company ! :tongue3:

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Apr 20 15:37

Well I think that is just stupid Amy and maybe you are one of those mean ones that won't help me, huh?

I was born right here in Rockbridge County and been living here all my life an I'm a natural born citizen so dont you dare call me one of those illegal foreigners that always sneek across our borders and break our laws and steal our welfare and taxes and might even lots of times be terrorists maybe?

-Love and Kisses to All-

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2008 Apr 21 21:27

beckonwood wrote:Hey S&L huh.huh.huh.huh.
Do I detect exasperation? I am flabbergasted! Totally.

Wise One

Gas Price

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jun 06 11:36

I disagree with 99.9% of what Krauthammer writes, but am pleased to say that I agree with 100% of his column today.

On June 6, 2008 Charles Krauthammer wrote:At $4, Everybody Gets Rational

So now we know: The price point is $4.

At $3 a gallon, Americans just grin and bear it, suck it up and, while complaining profusely, keep driving like crazy. At $4, it is a world transformed. Americans become rational creatures. Mass transit ridership is at a 50-year high. Driving is down 4 percent. (Any U.S. decline is something close to a miracle.) Hybrids and compacts are flying off the lots. SUV sales are in free fall.

The wholesale flight from gas guzzlers is stunning in its swiftness, but utterly predictable. Everything has a price point. Remember that "love affair" with SUVs? Love, it seems, has its price too.

America's sudden change in car-buying habits makes suitable mockery of that absurd debate Congress put on last December on fuel efficiency standards. At stake was precisely what miles-per-gallon average would every car company's fleet have to meet by precisely what date.

It was one out-of-a-hat number (35 mpg) compounded by another (by 2020). It involved, as always, dozens of regulations, loopholes and throws at a dartboard. And we already knew from past history what the fleet average number does. When oil is cheap and everybody wants a gas guzzler, fuel efficiency standards force manufacturers to make cars that nobody wants to buy. When gas prices go through the roof, this agent of inefficiency becomes an utter redundancy.

At $4 a gallon, the fleet composition is changing spontaneously and overnight, not over the 13 years mandated by Congress. (Even Stalin had the modesty to restrict himself to five-year plans.) Just Tuesday, GM announced that it would shutter four SUV and truck plants, add a third shift to its compact and midsize sedan plants in Ohio and Michigan, and green-light for 2010 the Chevy Volt, an electric hybrid.

Some things, like renal physiology, are difficult. Some things, like Arab-Israeli peace, are impossible. And some things are preternaturally simple. You want more fuel-efficient cars? Don't regulate. Don't mandate. Don't scold. Don't appeal to the better angels of our nature. Do one thing: Hike the cost of gas until you find the price point.

Unfortunately, instead of hiking the price ourselves by means of a gasoline tax that could be instantly refunded to the American people in the form of lower payroll taxes, we let the Saudis, Venezuelans, Russians and Iranians do the taxing for us -- and pocket the money that the tax would have recycled back to the American worker.

This is insanity. For 25 years and with utter futility (starting with "The Oil-Bust Panic," the New Republic, February 1983), I have been advocating the cure: a U.S. energy tax as a way to curtail consumption and keep the money at home. On this page in May 2004 (and again in November 2005), I called for "the government -- through a tax -- to establish a new floor for gasoline," by fully taxing any drop in price below a certain benchmark. The point was to suppress demand and to keep the savings (from any subsequent world price drop) at home in the U.S. Treasury rather than going abroad. At the time, oil was $41 a barrel. It is now $123.

But instead of doing the obvious -- tax the damn thing -- we go through spasms of destructive alternatives, such as efficiency standards, ethanol mandates and now a crazy carbon cap-and-trade system the Senate is debating this week. These are infinitely complex mandates for inefficiency and invitations to corruption. But they have a singular virtue: They hide the cost to the American consumer.

Want to wean us off oil? Be open and honest. The British are paying $8 a gallon for petrol. Goldman Sachs is predicting we will be paying $6 by next year. Why have the extra $2 (above the current $4) go abroad? Have it go to the U.S. Treasury as a gasoline tax and be recycled back into lower payroll taxes.

Announce a schedule of gas tax hikes of 50 cents every six months for the next two years. And put a tax floor under $4 gasoline, so that as high gas prices transform the U.S. auto fleet, change driving habits and thus hugely reduce U.S. demand -- and bring down world crude oil prices -- the American consumer and the American economy reap all of the benefit.

Herewith concludes my annual exercise in futility. By the time I write next year's edition, you'll be paying for gas in bullion.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Juggler

Re: Nostalgia

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jul 09 11:03

Here's a song about gasoline's Good Old Days. (might take awhile to load)

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Sep 09 17:20

You can make your stupid jokes and cartunes and see if I care. They took away our truck after that trouper pulled me over and we also lost the total car when it rolled downhill at the DVM.
So I just got to sit here all the time without any license or car, since my husband is mostly gone all the time now, he says to work in other towns but I don't believe him. The only good thing is I don't have to look at those criminals foreigners driving everywhere anymore.
Some dumb socialized worker "looks in" on me about every other day but she's useless and I told her just go away but she keeps coming back.
I dont even like this damn computer much so bye, cause maybe I can just watch some TV or something and drink some of that stuff he left in the basement which he doesn't think I drink but he is wrong about that just like everything else.

Wise One

Re: Virginia Transportation and Driving

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jun 15 10:36

How nice it is to have elected a competent governor and senators.

This piece by Governor Kaine is a clear window into the positive, creative and responsible character of the man and the official. He argues well for a balanced and forward-looking transportation system, also clearly conveying the challenges he faces in trying to work with negative and obstructionist Republicans.

:salut:

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2010 Jan 11 02:56

In some other countries a trend is spreading to levy fines as a percentage of income rather than as a flat amount.

• This is fair if the intent is to discourage behavior by all persons, by inflicting equal financial pain on lawbreakers.
  • It is unfair if one believes that only the poor deserve the pain of paying fines because the rich are better people and deserve a fine that won't dent their fat wallets.
What do you think we should do in Virginia?

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2010 Feb 25 18:18

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2010 Aug 04 07:55

This is one of those reforms that are really good, incredibly simple and obvious, and about a century late in arriving.

Like the single line feeding multiple bank tellers.

:coffee:

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2010 Oct 05 22:28

This is a beautiful, and I hope wonderfully effective, public service announcement:

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2011 Mar 22 16:51

I read in the newspaper how they are selling one parking place at the hotel in Lexington for around $100,000 which is the biggest gyp I ever heard, huh?

I want that fool buys it to come to our house cause I'll sell him one at half price! Since they took my license and the car the space is just empty anyhow. That guys name looks funny like Benihana so maybe he's an illegal aileen and maybe he deserves to get gypped anyway, huh? I would be happy to do it to him ha ha!

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2013 Jan 28 08:53

Well, duh!

After 9/11 hysteria swept the land, as did xenophobia over immigrants. The drivers license became as impossible for a furriner to get as permission to own a hen in Lexington.

Reality check: In America there is no practical alternative to driving a personal car. That's just the way it is. So people drive, all kinds of people including them dagnab furriners.

Our crazy Virginia politicians somehow still think we're better off having a bunch of people who speak English poorly, driving around untested and unlicensed. I wish they'd drop their nutcase ideology, get practical and think through what our public safety requires.

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2015 Apr 12 15:30

Attention Rockbridge County drivers, a helpful hint.
It is clear that hardly anybody knows about it:

secretstick.jpg
secretstick.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

BusMan

Maury Express

Postby BusMan » 2015 Jun 15 08:17

Do any of you know about the Maury Express public transportation system that operates in Lexington, Buena Vista and Rockbridge County?

Anyone ever ridden it?