Virginia Transportation

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
harleygrl35

Virginia Transportation

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Jul 24 08:13

I know the new laws passed on July 1st are probably good for something, like making all those drunken drivers think twice. But, some of them are ridiculous.
Did you know if you are pulled over and ticketed for something as simple as forgetting to use your signal light there is an exorbitant fine? 3 installments of $350.00..yep folks, thats $1,050.00 for forgetting to turn on your blinker.
If you agree that this is craziness, that your tax money should go to the upkeep of VA's roads (oh and what was that lottery for again??) sign this petition...

http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2007 Jul 24 09:05

This is astounding, so much so that I had to look it up. It's true. (Well, 3 X $300 anyway.)

The fines do seem to be too high for certain offenses, and the nonuniform application to Virginia and non-Virginia residents seems strange in light of the Constitution's commerce clause (even though they probably pass because nonresidents get lower fines.)

Is there something we've missed that justifies this astonishing development?

:lets: Bike, bus, boat, get a horse or walk! :lets:

§ 46.2-206.1. Imposition of certain additional fees on certain drivers.
A. The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue from drivers whose proven dangerous driving behavior places significant financial burdens upon the Commonwealth. The civil remedial fees established by this section shall be in addition to any other fees, costs, or penalties imposed pursuant to the Code of Virginia.
B. The civil remedial fees established by this section shall be assessed on any resident of Virginia operating a motor vehicle on the highways of Virginia, including persons to whom Virginia driver's licenses, commercial driver's licenses, or learner's permits have been issued pursuant to this title; and persons operating motor vehicles without licenses or whose license has been revoked or suspended.
C. The court shall assess a person with the following fees upon each conviction of the following offenses:
1. Driving while his driver's license was suspended or revoked pursuant to § 18.2-272, 46.2-301, 46.2-302, 46.2-341.21, or 46.2-391 shall be assessed a fee to be paid in three annual payments of $250 each;
2. Reckless driving in violation of Article 7 (§ 46.2-852 et seq.) of Chapter 8 or aggressive driving in violation of § 46.2-868.1 shall be assessed a fee to be paid in three annual payments of $350 each;
3. Driving while intoxicated in violation of § 18.2-266, 18.2-266.1, or 46.2-341.24 shall be assessed a fee to be paid in three annual payments of $750 each;
4. Any other misdemeanor conviction for a driving and/or motor vehicle related violation of Title 18.2 or this title that is not included in one of the preceding three subdivisions shall be assessed a fee to be paid in three annual payments of $300 each; and
5. Any felony conviction for a driving or motor vehicle-related offense under Title 18.2 or this title, shall be assessed a fee to be paid in three annual payments of $1,000 each.

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Jul 24 10:35

Oops! :oops: $150.00 off the mark, but still utterly ridiculous!

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2007 Jul 27 14:34

I been thinking about those big fines and maybe their good on illegal aileens when they sneak across the border. So I think it is great and maybe those fines should be even higher so theyd put tails between and skittre back where they come from? If all the money they get from taking jobs from real Americans gets stolen from them in fines when they drive a car then that would teach them a lesson, huh?
I know some of the bleadinghearts will say, oh no, what about their children but everybody knows how hard it is to adopt and the children would be better off with real Americans anyway so we could take them from the aileens and put them in orphanages and then get adopted and everybody is better off I think. And that would teach the terrorists who are really just aileens a good lesson like our great president says and they wouldn'd give us leopardsy anymore so our toes will drop off.
- Love and kisses to all -

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Jul 28 21:38

Just to clarify, anyone named Aileen should not be allowed to live in the US, is this correct?

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2007 Jul 28 22:02

ha, ha harleygirl35 I get it thats a funny one. No silly I mean the illegal aileens that sneak across to be the terrorists, exept all the men on the radio say patriotic true Americans are stopping them so they can't do that no more, its is a good thing, huh? And then maybe my husband can get lots more jobs again like before those aileens started charging less cause they don't pay taxes and get all the welfare and free medical and stuff. When I used to go to that medical type institution a lot last year we had to pay lots and lots, let me tell you true.
- Love and kisses to all -

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Jul 29 16:03

Oooh, now it's clear, sorry... :wink2:

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2007 Aug 09 22:48

Here's my biggest peeve over driving in Virginia -- a continuous and repeated need to deal with multiple public and private bureaucracies, all operating on different schedules and procedures, just to keep one driver driving one car. Here's my list (did I forget any?) of their multiple unsynchronized demands:
  • Driver's License
  • Car license tag
  • County car tag
  • County personal property tax on car
  • Car safety inspection
  • Car emissions inspection
Jeez, it's 2007. Modern systems could collapse these into a single annual electronic payment to a state-administered car license/permit system. The state would compute the amount due, based on information now scattered among state agencies and 100 counties, bill it, collect it, and post a secure encrypted "paid" receipt on the web with a copy to the licensee.

Services thus paid would be delivered to the driver/owner automatically, upon his request or appearance at the appropriate location, on whatever schedule is convenient to the driver -- just by showing his "paid" receipt or authorization code.

All parties entitled to a portion of the proceeds (counties, inspection services, towns, etc.) would simply log onto the State site and bill the state on whatever schedule they choose -- perhaps annually for county treasurers, perhaps monthly for inspection shops.

Benefits: One annual bill to every driver, always on the same date, which includes all driving licenses/permits/taxes/fees. Much lower administrative costs, as a thousand redundant local clerks are replaced by a single state computer. Result - lower costs, less annoyance to customers, greater net revenue to government and contractors.

I don't object to paying for these items (although I think car property tax should be zeroed and car license fees should be increased) but I do object to the grossly inefficient system that presently operates and think we should demand that it be consolidated and simplified.

:wink: Get a horse. :wink:

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2007 Aug 13 13:11

Yep, it's really true. The first fines are getting levied, and the electorate seems to be saying "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!"

:wink: Driving makes me nervous -- that's why I always belt down a few before I get behind the wheel. :wink:

harleygrl35

Postby harleygrl35 » 2007 Aug 13 13:53

:surprised: :lol:

Sweetness 'n Light

My Drivers License

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2007 Nov 28 15:20

I bet all my friends here on the Forum know about how I don't have no drivers license because they took it away from me just because of my troubles even though all those illegal aileens get to drive and be terrorists every day and nobody cares.

Well I got a nice Thanksgiving surprise really when that letter they sent really said I could get another one after all that trouble but they said I have to take another writing and driving test on December 5 from a supervisor so all you guys out there wish me lots of luck huh? I am kind of scared but Im kind of happy too both at once, but I been practicing with my husband in our driveway and it seems like I still know how to drive pretty good maybe.

I know it sounds bad but I sure am glad that the Thanksgiving dinner is over cause I had to cook lots of dead stuff from my husband and his brother hunting, like squirrel and rabbit and some kind of thing I never did find out what it was. It was like ew but at least they took all the guts out. They do that most every Thanksgiving and it kind of ruins the hole holiday for me I think maybe even though they seem real happy.

-Love and kisses to all-

Sweetness 'n Light

My Drivers License

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2007 Dec 06 10:18

Well I really wanted to rush right on here and tell how I passed my test yesterday for my drivers license they took away from me last year. But this is the first time I could signon to forum cause of a little gilch.

The DVM supervisor who gave me the drivers test was real nice, well he didn't say anything mean at first really but I caught him looking at me a little funny a few times but I pretended I didnt notice it, cause I really want my license back bad. He gave me the writing test and said nice stuff like I did pretty good so I passed and I was real happy!

And then we got in my car for driving test after he walked all around the car looking at everything maybe he wanted to catch ME on something illegal even though they don't care about illegal aileens driving, huh? But it didn't work cause my husband always maintains the car real good so it was perfect and it had all the stickers so we showed him, huh?

He said go this way and that way and I always signald all the time and it was real good and I didn't speed or anything. But then he said look and see if its OK to turn left and I did and quick I turned into the ally, and then he told me no it was ONE WAY wrong way. He told me too late but he said I should of seen the big sign but that was sneeky I think huh?

Well I got upset but I tried to hide it cause I just wanted to finish the test for no more mistakes but then when I got out of the ally and turned right then wham a big cat ran right in front of the car and there was a little bump. We both got out but the cat was like a pancake dead and I really felt bad especially when 3 kittens ran up out of the bushes and sniffed it. The supervisor wasn't nice to me any more and then he said I can't drive the car and he had to drive the car. When we got back he gave me a failed and they won't let me take the test again for a while I don't know how long.

So my husband had to drive us home and he was real nice to kind of make me feel better but it didn't work so I just took my medicine and went to bed right away cause I felt so bad. Real bad.

So thats why it took me so long to signon here. But I feel better today and I think maybe next time maybe I can take some medicine first before the test for to be more calmer and work even harder on the driving test and then I can get my license again at last so my husband don't always have to drive me everywhere. You wouldnt like that I bet huh? Especially its crazy the aileens still get to drive and I don't just because of all the liberals and democrates like Lewdobs says.

-Love and kisses to all-

Juggler

Victory!

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jan 25 10:35

The Voice of the People has been heard.
:clap: Victory! :clap:

Sweetness 'n Light

Re: Virginia Driving:"Civil Remedial Fees" & Other

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Jan 29 23:01

I been pestering the DVM people to give me another drivers test and they kept stalling me for just any old reason, it was pretty ridiculous let me tell you, huh? So my husband hired a lawyer from right in the middle of Lexington, not to sue them or anything really like a war, but just to maybe talk to them in a way that would budge them from being so stubborn and I think it worked maybe cause they said I can take the drivers license test again on February 13 hurray!

So I been practicing a lot in the driveway and on some farm roads with my husband and it all goes real good no problems, so maybe this time they will let me pass? I'm really mad about that cat I killed, people shouldnt let their animals run all over the place so you almost have to hit them sometimes cause theyre everywhere. And this time I'm going to get lots of sleep and be real relaxed and take a whole lot of my medicine just to make sure that my nerves stay calm all during the test, cause sometimes I get upset over little things and they sure showed me that those testers try to confuse you on purpose I think to make me flusttered, even though they never cause trouble to the illegal aileens who are maybe terrorists.

All you guys wish me luck so next time maybe I can be driving all over Lexington and Rockbridge County and Raphine and everywhere and be free as a bird, huh? You can recognize me cause I'm the one with a big fat smile on my face maybe!

-Love and Kisses to all-

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2008 Jan 30 10:26

Oh I think she writes just fine. I am surprised they let her have a computer too, I figured she would be on top of that list of the illegal wire taps. But then again, maybe she is tracking Illegals in Rockbridge County for the gov't. You'd think they would at least give her a license, so she could get a laptop and do a rolling patrol on all the places that allow illegals to work.

Then again, maybe her husband doesn't really want her to drive or work, but to stay on welfare and foodstamps.

I wish she would stop her act and start saying what she really means to say.

Oh well, give 'em a keyboard and internet, and we can all be something great.....

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Jan 30 18:19

Ha ha that's funny Beckwood and 10th. Yes sometimes I do think maybe I like pretending to be somebody that is not me but they said that isn't really too good for a "lifetime image" of myself so I really really try not to do that too much anymore.
I agree with you that when I write sometimes it doesn't sound real perfect maybe and I think thats because since the troubles I sometimes have a real hard time concentrating on just one thing for a long long time like writing a long message. So I go too fast and I make mistakes and I hope you can find it in you heart to forgive me because I really can write really really well when I slow down. I was even working on the newspaper when I was in high school but that was a long time before the troubles that I won't bore you with and everybody said the writing and they published it even was really really good.
So I will take your criticism to heart myself and try to slow down some and be better maybe.

-Love and kisses to all-

Sweetness 'n Light

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Jan 31 13:12

Thanks Beckwood I read and reread you note lots of times. I was confused a little and even got a little mad but then I thought about it a whole bunch and when all is said and done maybe I think you just wrote about the highest compliment to me. Thank you thank you in ways maybe even you dont understand, huh?
-Love and kisses to all-

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Jan 31 14:25

S&L wrote:
be real relaxed and take a whole lot of my medicine just to make sure that my nerves stay calm

YIKES!!!! Can we say driving under the influence? :craz:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

10thFO

Postby 10thFO » 2008 Jan 31 17:11

Fangz, but if I didn't take my medication, then I would be breaking the law, or at least making the Dr.'s very upset. It is there plan to kill me quickly you know. I do love the warning stamps on the labels though "Do not drive while taking these pills, yada yada, yada.... How else is one supposed to work?

I wish they would put it out on the ones that were very seriously dangerous. And take it off of the ones, where the pharmaceutical companies were just trying to CYA.

Sweetness 'n Light

Driving

Postby Sweetness 'n Light » 2008 Feb 14 15:04

I will go slow cause sometimes people get mad at me here if I make mistakes and check all the spellings. Anyway, I did the drivers test yesterday like they said I could but I don't want to talk about it right now, but I promise I'll tell you all about it in a few days maybe.
-Love and kisses to all-