The Other War

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
Neck-aint-red
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Other War

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2012 Feb 07 09:44

Juggler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Juggler » 2012 Apr 26 12:13

alcohol-calculus.jpg
alcohol-calculus.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 7062 times

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2013 Dec 18 09:06

landoffree.jpg
landoffree.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 6689 times

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Dec 18 10:11

As a believer in personal freedom and a person who thinks the government is too much into the personal lives of it's citizens I'd like to weigh in on this subject.
If people want to use drugs in their own home, and they are not endangering anyone else or causing probplems for other people I don't think it's the governments business to molest them.
If on the other hand someone using drugs adversly effects another persons well being in any way that should be against the law.
I have a whole laundry list of restrictive laws that piss me off.

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2013 Dec 18 11:53

Cannoneer is spot on with this one.

Law enforcement, when it comes to controlled substances is nothing if not bizarre.

Marijuana is the most widely enforced and most innocuous on the demon drug list. Not only is it illegal to use it, one cannot legally buy it, transport it, grow it, possess it or be in possession of "paraphernalia" which might be used in conjunction with usage......or contain some "residue" indicating some past existence of the killer weed.

So.....in order to enjoy it in the comfort of one's own home, one must break any number of laws just to get it there......except in a few areas of the country where some measure of sanity prevails.

Now, Coondog does not advocate the use or abuse of any kind of drugs.....legal or otherwise. Ask your doctor if pot is right for you.
Side effects include...........short term apathy, lack of concern and situational avoidance.

But, yes, Coondog's recessive libertarian genes agree that the "war on drugs" is really designed to control, not the drugs, but the people......and to basically financially support the industrial prison system and all the judges, lawyers and minions of the law involved along the way.

This does not mean Coondog wants to share the highways and hydrants with homicidal sociopaths hopped up on meth.

There are reasonable limits to everything.

CD :craz:

And......those veterans handing out poppies.....poppies......poppies

....................!!!

Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Dec 18 12:43

good job coondog, only the poppies are in remembarnce of the war dead.
That started after WWI. The red poppies were on many of the battlefields. The poem "In Flanders Field" sort of tells the story.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Dec 18 17:00

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Crux

Harsh Hinty?

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 18 17:17

You ever meet Hinty? HARSH MUCH?

I would not know if he DID beat his wife. He might have. He might not have.
Do you know him or her? I would wait til the facts come out in the courts...

Obviously MJ should be decriminalized at least. It's a NO BRAINER, but still, it should not be so controlled. I will say this. As one of the two BALMS to the Left, it is striking to me that in this country you can be so SEVERELY penalized for using the one, and so FREE to use the other. ABORTION.

Just sayin...

There are SCADS of young and old two issue "liberal" voters out there that
are DRIVEN by these two issues. Well, throw in a little hate for CAPITALISM.

crux

Wise One

Re: Harsh Hinty?

Postby Wise One » 2013 Dec 18 17:23

Crux

Maybe Mrs. Hinty just isn't a cat person...

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 18 17:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-oVhu2fu20

This video could explain her injuries.

AO. On capitalism. What do you think the minimum wage should be?

NoAbsoluteRules

Re: Maybe Mrs. Hinty just isn't a cat person...

Postby NoAbsoluteRules » 2013 Dec 19 09:10

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Dec 19 13:57

Amen.

Crux

Call yourself what you will...

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 19 17:54

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2013 Dec 19 18:14

I don't accept this argument, conventional wisdom among conservatives and incredibly myopic.

Businesses do what they must do to compete. The model that too many follow is to game the system by paying dirt low, and transferring the obligation to provide a living wage to the government. Wal-mart sets hours just below the threshold that obliges medical insurance, and below a living wage. The difference is made up by government, which picks up welfare and medicaid costs for their impoverished employees. Wal-mart should carry its own weight, not unscrupulously transfer the true cost of its employees to the government, just to undercut local business and sell Chinese merchandise.

The entry level argument is a canard, deflecting from the much larger problem of most of the work force.

Government minimum wage requirements serve an essential role by leveling the economic playing field, so that unscrupulous businesses gain no advantage by exploiting their employees. Costco pays decent wages, which Wal-mart undercuts for competitive advantage, screwing its lowest level employees. We're talking only about leveling the playing field at the low end, basically filling in the potholes of economic exploitation. Yes, in order to fund those potholes, there will be pressures to overpay senior executives just a little bit less, and send slightly lower dividend billions to Sam Walton's rich bitch children-stockholders, but I say such incentives are long overdue. Why should the taxpayer cover the Wal-mart wage shortfall when its real effect is to send money off to those who are already billionaires?

:coffee:

NoAbsoluteRules

Postby NoAbsoluteRules » 2013 Dec 20 06:32

Crux

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 20 08:15

NoAbsoluteRules

Postby NoAbsoluteRules » 2013 Dec 20 12:38

crux, I worked in and for government for almost 40 years; believe me when I affirm government creates jobs. I trade stocks and bonds regularly; trust me when I claim unregulated markets are not pretty. I spent my entire professional life in intelligence collection and weapon systems development; allow me credence when I tell you we could spend a lot less on both.

And wrt "Businesses can't pull a healthcare.gov my friend ...." You surely remember the Edsel, the New Coke, the Beta format, the Newton, the Zune, etc. :hum:

Crux

You make my point.

Postby Crux » 2013 Dec 20 13:10

Amy Probenski

Postby Amy Probenski » 2014 Jun 23 13:09

Buck Turgidson

Postby Buck Turgidson » 2015 Jan 24 15:47

This is a . It's unfair, unAmerican, corrupt, and we should stop it not only at the federal but also at the state and local levels.