East Lexington's Dam

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Should the East Lexington low-head dam be removed within 5 years?

Yes
68%
No
33%

Total votes: 40

Coondog
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: After the Dam

Postby Coondog » 2008 Jul 24 17:36

Well, I hope they anchor those new bouys better than they did the last ones, which at last viewing, were still piled in the tree line along the North side of the Maury below Buena Vista about a half mile down River Road. They were replaced, but never retrieved. I wonder why?

Naturally, a flood severe enough to wash the bouys down stream would create a hazardous situation - lack of adequate warning - for potential swimmers and boaters in the vicinity of the dam. This consideration may lead one to the conclusion that the only way to render the river 'safe' is to remove the dam, thus eliminating the need for bouys entirely.

One may even conclude, from this observation, that I favor removing the dam. Well.........no! Knee jerk reactions to events usually result in implimentation of excessive restrictions and expenditure of excessive amounts of money. This seems to be the way things are going with this situation. Yet, retribution against an inanimate object can certainly only afford a small measure of satisfaction. Of course, when extraordinary law suits are involved, everything becomes magnified.

As this debate continues, the old Maury River keeps roll roll rolling along, over the dam which, in spite of it's reported deteriorating condition, refuses to just go away on it's own. Environmentally, I don't know that the still water above the dam has any detrimental affect. Personally, I like it! Were it not there, the rope swing experience would be greatly diminished. Nor am I technologically smart enough to address the effects of water falling over the dam - although, I suspect that it depends, as do many other factors, on how much water is involved at any given time.

But, I do read the local parakeet cage liner once a week, and some related factors stand out. The City has spent some $24,000 for 'expert' analysis of the situation. Not surprisingly, the sturcture of the dam is deemed 'unsafe'. (The same can be said of most bridges) In another item, we find that a 1 cent increase in the real estate taxes yields about $56,000. in this regard, we can attribute at least 1/2 cent of the rise in real estate taxes to this project. The remedy is likely to represent another 5 cent increase. By the same standard, 9 million dollars would require an increase in the rate of about $1.87 (roughly a 300 percent increase). Feel free to check my figures.....I'm no math genious, either. Considering the myrad potential safety risks that exist throughout the area, this seems a bit extreme to me.

I suppose my point is, were we to apply the same standard of remediation for the same reason to Interstate #81, we would either install speed bumps or barricade it off and allow no one to drive on it at all. (maybe not bad ideas, but hardly practicable or economically feasible).

Coondog :cool:

Wise One
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 25 13:15

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2008 Jul 25 16:08

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Jul 25 17:48

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2009 Jul 01 14:26

I noticed that Chuck Volpe has amended his lawsuit to seek $9 million now. This will be a fascinating one to watch.

And today, there appeared yet A woman trapped it the below-dam hydraulic was kept afloat with life vests etc. long enough to be rescued from an aerial crane, but it was a very close call. I wouldn't want count on this kind of rescue!

Her husband died.

:sail:

nudgewink

Postby nudgewink » 2009 Jul 09 12:18

Wise One

Is this the end of the Volpe case?

Postby Wise One » 2009 Jul 16 12:07

nudgewink

Re: East Lexington's Dam

Postby nudgewink » 2009 Dec 08 10:53

Regarding Chuck Volpe, strange things have apparently transpired.

Here's an order from the Virginia Real Estate Board rapping his knuckles.
DPOR_volpe[1].pdf
(779.61 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Strangely, while the order levies fines, it does not appear to compel him to compensate any persons who might have lost money as a result of the cited infractions. What's going on here?

And somewhere I saw a printed allegation that the is a fraud. That is, it was alleged that only the tiniest fraction of funds collected have been disbursed as scholarships, and that he stiffed a boy who'd been "awarded" one of them. Is this true? Does anybody know what's going on? Has he been charged with a crime?

Amy Probenski

The Beat Goes On

Postby Amy Probenski » 2010 Jan 09 15:19

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2010 Apr 09 17:12

Nudgewink and Amy, I poked around on the internets and found .

Sounds pretty bad.

notwaldo

Postby notwaldo » 2010 Apr 12 14:27

Nudgewink:
The printed thing you may have seen about the Volpe Memorial Scholarship fund money going missing and a "winner" of a scholarship getting stiffed appeared in the Sept. 2009 issue of the Rockbridge Advocate (which is not available for free over the internet)......several months before any television story, several months before the indictments, and several months before any other newspaper printed a word about it.

Amy Probenski

Sadness begets Sadness

Postby Amy Probenski » 2010 Sep 01 18:24

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2011 Feb 09 18:39

Dukecati

Postby Dukecati » 2011 Mar 16 11:48

"The plea agreement required him to pay an additional $13,531.30 in restitution at the time of his sentencing to reimburse his victims of real estate embezzlement dealings. Volpe failed to produce the money at Tuesday’s sentencing."

This is a totally false statement by Roberta Anderson and the News Gazette, the editors of which have had an axe to grind in this case ever since Volpe sued the city. He delivered every penny of the $13,531.30 in court. And of course there's not a word about the employee who embezzled some $50K from Volpe's real estate business and who was convicted and ordered to pay restitution, but who now and for some time, is not paying what she owes Volpe and yet nothing is being done about that by those whose job it is to see that restitution is paid as ordered by the court.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2011 Mar 16 20:01

This all may be true... Still. What a disgrace. Mr. Volpe that is. To have acted as he did. The whole way around...
crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2011 Apr 23 12:49

Dukecati

Postby Dukecati » 2011 Apr 24 12:01

The original trial was a sham. The fix was in. Judge Michael Irvine's decisions were rightfully reversed. And Crux, you are woefully ill-informed about the details here. What the city created at the dam site was a killing field. Today, where are the cable and buoys that are supposed to protect and warn boaters coming downstream? The dam is still there, waiting to kill again.

Crux

Not so. Don't give me that...

Postby Crux » 2011 Apr 24 13:39

crux identifies with American Principles. Personal Liberty, Respect and Limited government.
He is a classic liberal, a libertarian at heart, and a conservative in the classical sense...

Neck-aint-red

Re: Not so. Don't give me that...

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2011 Apr 24 15:07

Dukecati

Postby Dukecati » 2011 Apr 24 15:39

FYI The day that Charles Volpe drowned the river looked normal, although just underneath the surface the current was moving very rapidly. It looked like a usual swimming day. Young Charles was a very accomplished swimmer and a certified diver. Even with his experience in the water he was fooled by the danger that lurked at Jordan's Point, and had no knowledge of what a low-head dam is all about. Warning signs would have made him and others aware of the danger that lurked there, and a cable with buoys would have prevented him from going over the dam to his death. If the city had had an inkling of common sense these things would not have been completely ignored. So your common sense argument is misdirected.

After the tragedy, perhaps the most inane and callous statement was made by councilman Jim Gianniny who said, "There was some discussion among council members concerning the placement of warning signs in the park and that they might detract from the park's atmosphere. "I want the place to be safe but don't want signs all over." I have a word for this guy but I'd only say it to his face.