East Lexington's Dam

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Should the East Lexington low-head dam be removed within 5 years?

Yes
68%
No
33%

Total votes: 40

Juggler

Re: After the Dam

Postby Juggler » 2008 Apr 05 19:15

LexMom wrote: ... my daughter showed me pictures of him on facebook standing in front of a table of alcohol with other kids in the background. He was also was expelled from RCHS for possession on school grounds.
What a mean-spirited and scurrilous allegation. Even if true, which I doubt until I see corroborating documentation, it has no bearing on this case. The issues revolve around legal responsibility for the dam and its use, as apportioned between the City and Charles.

My children have been seen in the presence of alcohol their entire lives and are none the worse for it - they are wholly admirable people.

ChuckVolpe

Postby ChuckVolpe » 2008 Apr 05 20:50

Juggler - You are right about LexMom -
You can't even believe this - I have been laying low here, watching all the banter about my life. The loss of my son and how it should or shouldn't impact my life and the life of my family - I can't really make any comments due to the lawsuit, but LexMom is absolutely useless when it comes to facts. I am unaware that she ever researches anything, I believe she just listens to her daughter, who at this moment I am convinced isn't paying very good attention to much of anything.
From LexMom - I feel sorry for you Mr. Volpe for more reasons than your losing a child. I hope you are teaching your other son some different lessons, because my daughter showed me pictures of him on facebook standing in front of a table of alcohol with other kids in the background. He was also was expelled from RCHS for possession on school grounds. It is time to stop playing the innocent victim, and take responsibility for the lessons and values you have taught your children. Leave Lexington out of it.
I think LexMom, between the email you sent me and this little ditty we are very close to libel and let me explain why. Derek was at a party thrown by his future employer (and she will get a copy of this) and she was serving in those cups fruit punch. I will explain to her that you are psychic and probably know differently. And as far as the incident at school was concerned, gather the facts before you engage your fingers. Derek wasn't involved in anything other than a simple error in judgment. He wasn't expelled, and he was tested for all substances by a third party, polygraphed and was completely innocent. He received ATS (alternative to suspension) which was unfair since he didn't do anything, so we removed him from school and put him a private school in Roanoke. Interestingly enough it appears that the High School broke a Federal Law, and they continue to do so. John Reynolds has invited Derek back to school and he isn't remotely intersted in going back. John is interested in resolving the issues regarding their policy problems.

Furthermore when you talk about Charles and his adrenaline problem, he was a straight "A" student, (yours?) a member of the National Honor Society (yours?), fluent in Spanish, (yours?)had over 100 hours of Community Service here (yours?) and more than 50 in the British Virgin Islands, (yours?) was an expert diver and held every Scuba Certificate including Master Diver (yours?), never was arrested, never got a ticket, never had an accident, drove a diesel jetta, (a real rocket) but it got 50 mpg which was his concern, could ski, snowboard, water-ski, sail a 50' boat and was certified by the Olympic sailing school, could handle almost any power boat up to 50', was studying for his Coast Guard license, flyfished, and always released, was a freak about conservation, being green, and making sure that the world was in tact, leaving better than the way he found it. So don't tell me that he was someone different, a junkie of any kind, because I raised my kids to be respectful, courteous, adventurous, careful, fair, helpful, ask Bill Scwenke and Patsy Clark about Charles, see what kind of answer you get. Or Dylan Fitzgerald, Anna-Lisa's son from Books and Co. I dare you to reach outside your mind and seek actual facts and see what this world really lost. You say he took chances?? He was an extremely talented athlete, and he never brought home a broken bone.

And by the way, LexMom, I don't hide from anything - this forum, you or anything else you think you can bring on. Because I don't want to see another dead kid brought out of that river, that makes me a bad person. Make that statement and you haven't looked at the facts or the research on these dams. It just shows how many ignorant people there are in the world. I care about the Back boys, I care about Mr. Smith and the thousands of people that have drowned because of these structures all around the world over the years. Do you?

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2008 Apr 05 21:32

Lex Mom who is your Atty ? I think you may need one now. Have a great week-end.

ChuckVolpe

Postby ChuckVolpe » 2008 Apr 05 22:12

I don't mind the anger and atacks as long as the information is accurate. I mind it if the information is wrong and there are attacks on my deceased son who isn't here to defend himself. I am tired of the misinformation and slander and if it continues my next stop is the Commonwealth Attorney's Office. LexMom seems to know me and will not come out and be straight with me about that. In the long run she will be sorry she used this Forum for the wrong purpose. She seems to think she knows a lot about the law, but in reality knows very little - An example would be who owns the dam - it matters not - There were many other comments I just can't get into but they are all foolishly spoken - If the folks on here with the common sense would just keep everyone else on track, it would be greatly appreciated. CV

resigned

Postby resigned » 2008 Apr 06 09:09

When I went through my lawsuit, it wasn't the money I wanted but to obtain justice for myself and my husband. We were ploughed into by a truck while traveling in Delaware to NC. My husband was in the hospital for about a year as he had a crushed knee then got a stafh infection and also damage to his chest. I obtained a severe head injury (Tramatic brain injury) along with injuries to my arm, hand and shoulder. I was in rehab for sometime. It's really tough when both spouses are ill and unable to support one another. We sought a lawyer, because the car was under my name and insurance as I still lived in NJ while my husband was listed as a Va resident (we were in the process of eventually retiring to Va) My insurance refused to pay for his hospital bills and his car insurance refused to pay also. Therefore he had to sue me to get his bills paid. Then we had to sue the truck driver etc who demolished our car. The abuse and negative statements we got from family and friends(?) was astounding. Having to see other doctors for the other side was completely demoralizing. They treated us as if we were criminals. All I wanted to do was get that driver into court so he could experience some of the suffering we went though as a result of his not paying attention to the road. We were at a stop light and he wasn't paying attention. (He got the ticket) and ploughed into us pushing us 50 feet. Our SUV was completely totaled.

But I have to say having gone through all that for over two years I would never file a lawsuit again because it just wasn't worth it. So when people make negative statements about your lawsuit I have a bit of understanding of what you are experiencing. And then to have it done on this forum. I don't care whether the lawsuit is right or wrong, I don't know the facts so have not commented on it. And I would expect others would do the same. You need the facts first.

Just was sharing for whatever it's worth.

ChuckVolpe

Postby ChuckVolpe » 2008 Apr 06 10:16

It is something to see on here all of this negative chatter without much to back it up - except "I fished there when I was a child" etc. No one takes into considertion what is left behind. My son reads this and he is really upset over the mis-statements made by LexMom and her daughter about the "alcohol" (not) and the "expulsion" (not) more lies and rumors. How about leaving him out of this. He has had enough already. Losing his big brother, going to therapy, trying to find normalcy in his life and he has to read these obvious lies. Not nice Ms. LM. I have had to endure the loss of my best friend, my wife her first born and they were inseperable. And you sit there fat, dumb and happy wielding your lies and trash at us like we are immune to it. We are not and I am asking you to stop it now. Make an intelligent statement about the dam or the river and leave my family out of it.

The on'y thing that got the City moving was my lawsuit. Period. If you don't like it, too bad. Put the shoe on the other foot - see what happens then. You talk about Pickral and you don't have a clue what happened behind closed doors in that situation, so you shouldn't even mention it, it has nothing to do with this. The City knew the danger and did nothing. Your email to me is a joke. I will respond privately. I would consider long and hard your position here before you start your negative rant again. I hope you understand what I mean. Make as many statements as you want, just don't make it personal. It's not whether your with me or against me - it's whether you are trying to hurt me or not. Don't try to hurt me or my family.

LexMom

Postby LexMom » 2008 Apr 06 10:45

My daughter is in the Honor Society, fluent in several languages and travels abroad extensively . So on and so on. I know these kids, and they know what occurred that day far better than people not present. If it is mean spirited to state some truth amoung all the BS then so be it. I do not need an attorney because I have truth. There is proof and evidence to back each statement. My point still stands that Charles played a huge part in his accident. Sad but true.

Stonewall
Site Admin

Notice and Warning

Postby Stonewall » 2008 Apr 06 13:34

Regrettably, violations of this forum's policy to promote civil discourse have been observed. All users should be mindful of the Rockbridge Forum's policies and abide by them.

In particular, users have the option of identifying themselves or remaining anonymous, but in all cases responsible behavior is expected. The Administrator will not tolerate attacks of a personal nature on named persons and will either edit out such remarks, or ban the user from participation, or both. Please report violations of this policy if you see them.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Pro Bono

Postby Pro Bono » 2008 Apr 06 14:36

Thank You Stonewall for reminding "some users" of the purpose and guidlines of this Forum. The title of this subject is "After The Dam" perhaps this subject should be RETIRED,as after page two there has been no postings relative to the subject. I have noticed that the amount of input from users has ceased on this subject as it became the National Enquirer. I'm sure many members don't want to be invovled nor submit productive postings with such uncomfortable and negative postings being made by some members.Hopefully we "all " can return to positive,productive posting and exchange of opinions and ideas with in this "Community Forum". Regards, Pro

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 Apr 06 15:31

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a similar dam on the Roanoke River. It had been there for as long as I can remember but alas, it is no more. We didn't need a lawsuit or much public controversy surrounding its destruction. Mother Nature took care of that in the flood of '85. That stretch of river will never be the same. What was once a perfectly good swimming and fishing hole is no more. The water there is barely knee deep these days (and that's after a good drenching rain). It used to be deep enough to swing from a rope and jump in. The water level won't support an inner tube much less a canoe or kayak these days.......sad, very sad.

So what if you have to portage your canoe or kayak around the dam? I've done that and it's no big deal unless one is completely and utterly lazy. But I doubt people that lazy would be out paddling a canoe or kayak in the first place. I've never been one that supported the legislation of "safety" when all you are really trying to do is take away the experience of folks learning how to use good common sense. Do I really need a warning label on my coffee cup??? Common sense.....don't leave home without it.

Good people of Lexington.......think really hard before you destroy the dam. I think what you will get in the aftermath of its destruction will fall way short of anyone's ideals. And "safe" whitewater??? What an oxymoron and what a delusional concept that is. I am quite sure the folks that shoot the rapids on the New and Gauley Rivers are laughing their collective asses off at that idea.

:2cent:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Neck-aint-red

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2008 Apr 08 14:19

I have been reading all this stuff. To me it boils down to this.

The town of Lexington should hold a great "blow up the dam" day, invite everybody to come and have a big party. 'Course they have to do it safely, at low water, advance notice, pre-explosion patrols and all that stuff.

It could be a giant celebration and we would finally get our River back as God made her!

Just one man's opinion. :usa2:

Amy Probenski

Meeting Report

Postby Amy Probenski » 2008 Apr 10 11:37

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2008 Apr 10 11:51

Although this report does not mention the concept explicitly, I believe that the observations suggest that the dam is causing damage, because of the very large stretch of dead water it creates above the dam.

Water discharged by the dam has been altered in several ways from its natural state. This may be one of the factors responsible for the observed fact that the natural ecology of the stream is damaged below the dam. Pollutant loading is another, but probably not the only, factor.

After considering carefully all the pros and cons and alternatives, I favor the option of removing the dam and restoring the river to a natural state.
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

Goyathaly

Postby Goyathaly » 2008 Apr 10 16:03

Dear Chuck,
Greetings. My wife and I are new to Lexington. We moved here in December. Thank you for posting your ideas regarding the Dam.

Regards,
Goyathaly

CNSmith

Re: East Lexington's Dam

Postby CNSmith » 2008 Apr 24 10:40

IIRC, Charles O's tragic accident happened two years ago yesterday.

I don't think a day goes by without thinkung about Chuck, Kim, and D.

Such a loss.

CNSmith

Renegade Mom

Issue

Postby Renegade Mom » 2008 May 22 08:17

Unlike several people who have said they were going to stay away from this issue/forum and then were right back on with the same drivel, I have stayed far away from this for about 2 months. Since I do feel compassion for a grieving parent and I did not wish to hurt Chuck, I kept silent. Also, I find this forum a claustrophobic back-water with the same people spouting the same small-minded crap over and over again. I don't have the time or inclination to squabble with anyone, especially strangers online.

Renegade Mom

Postby Renegade Mom » 2008 May 22 09:53

Answer: To see things if things have improved. And in some ways they have. And I still probably won't be back, either.

I have always appreciated that you have presented a different viewpoint and perspective than my own Beckonwood. You do have a tendency to take things very personally and get defensive easily as though you are being attacked, and I'm sorry for that. I forget that you are of a more advanced age than I and were raised in a different time, but the generational gap between us shows up often in our past discussions. Oh well.

It would take me way too long on a busy day to list all the nasty swipes that have been unnecessary on this thread. It takes a lot to have anger become part of my day. This has been like taking a morning mental dump, and believe me, I'm flushing it away now...

fangz1956

Postby fangz1956 » 2008 May 22 15:15

Unleashed and mismanaged emotions cause some folks to do the strangest things. I would have to put grief, jealousy and their resulting anger at the top of the list for The Top Catalysts To Commit Hurtful And/Or Heinous Acts.

I will keep my personal opinion of Mr. Volpe to myself.

This is rather a fine line to walk in writing about this. I think back over time to all the hurtful things I did to others without thinking because I was so self-absorbed in my own pain that I couldn't see anything else but the pain. I think about people who did the same to me for basically the same reasons. It doesn't make it right but it sure helps to shed a little ray of understanding on things. I look at members of my family who have buried their children and see what that loss did to some of them mentally. One of those folks does not live in reality to this day and she buried her son almost twenty years ago. She has continually sought escape through chemicals and men and shunned completing any kind of helpful therapy or grief counseling.

I guess that is just about my two cents worth here. We have own little scandal going on in this sleepy little town and it is far more heinous than anything Mr. Volpe appears to have done to date. We are preparing for our first murder trial in a decade. Jealousy was the catalyst when a man was shot to death in a grocery store parking lot in the middle of the afternoon. I guess we all live in a Peyton Place of sorts ....... whether we like it or not.

:2cent:
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?

Stonewall
Site Admin

Decorum

Postby Stonewall » 2008 May 25 10:35

Several participants under this topic have crossed the line between responsible discussion of public issues, and attacks of a personal nature on named individuals.

Repeated below is the policy of the Rockbridge Forum:
Users have the option of identifying themselves or remaining anonymous, but in all cases responsible behavior is expected. The Administrator will not tolerate attacks or remarks of a personal nature on named persons and will either edit out such remarks, or ban the user from participation, or both. Please report violations of this policy if you see them.

I have severely edited those postings that violate this rule and would appreciate your alerting me if you see violations in the future.

Spirited and passionate discussion of issues is fine, as are strongly stated opinions about the public statements, policies and actions of named public figures, such as public officials or candidates for public office, etc. Attacks of a personal nature on named individuals are out of bounds and will not be tolerated.
Thanks for your posts! Stonewall, your administrator ... just an "empty suit."

Juggler

Postby Juggler » 2008 Jul 23 18:35

on July 23, 2008, The News-Gazette wrote:Lexington New Buoys Requested For River At Jordans Point

Lexington City Council last week voted to submit an application to the state Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to install warning buoys at the Jordans Point that meet standards recently adopted by the Virginia General Assembly.

Adopting the state standards will release the city from liability that could result from accidents involving swimming, boating, fishing or other recreational activities that might occur at the dam.

The new markers will be located at the dam in addition to warning markers already in place. According to a diagram provided City Manager Jon Ellestad, the state will require that two vertical buoys be placed in the Maury River upriver from the dam and two warning signs, one upriver and one down river, be placed on the river bank.

Ellestad noted that the warning signs and buoys already in place exceed the requirements of DGIF.