Bibles! Religion!

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.

Do you believe in the God described by official leaders of Christian, Jewish or Muslim religions?

Yes
33%
No
63%
I am uncertain
3%

Total votes : 30

Mitt was right on target BABY

Postby Crux » 2012 Sep 12 21:22

:baby:

The statement my friend was made on the twitter account of the Cairo Mission in the face of the RIOTS there, and the storming by mob of the Embassy. I will admit these kinds of soft apologies come from all Presidents in the face of wild mobs of ecstatic Muslim men of violence that are over reacting in TRUE KNEE JERK fashion of religions violence.

Romney was correct to take on the RE-ITERATION of support for the statement by the Administration. These two incidents don't happen independent of each other or the greater reality and history. These guys are dangerous. Our diplomats were murdered.

The very non existent security posture of our embassy(s) is a poor reflection of the intelligence of our Leadership of State.
There is much here to criticize beyond Romney's statement of righteous indignation.
Crux

Re: Bibles! Religion!

Postby fangz1956 » 2012 Sep 13 07:21

Crux.....you are either crazier than a bedbug or imbibing too much of an unknown substance. :tongue3:

Inside the public relations disaster at the Cairo Embassy

The Salafi Moment
Ever looked at someone and thought "the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead"?
fangz1956

Postby Coondog » 2012 Sep 13 10:21

And a happy Thursday the 13th to Crux!

I was searching for your comment on Benjamin Netanyahu, but it either got edited out (no longer a sanctioned talking point?) or it's buried in the ton of other posts, or the administrater moved it to the 'Trivial & Useless Information' file.

But, since the topic was breached, I'd just like to say, 'Kudos to Obama for not abdicating US foreign policy to the leader of another country (ally or not)'. Bibi's intentions regarding a plan for military action in Iran are as obscure as Romney's. Of course, he'd like to see 300,000 U.S. ground troops in Iran. and the fact that Netanyahu has become a surrogate for the Romney Campaign doesn't aid his desires for an audience at the White House.

One must acknowledge support for Israel without an open ended commitment to back whatever they decide to do or not do. US strategic initiatives need to remain U.S. strategic initiatives.

Now, if Bibi wants to get involved in US politics and demand unconditional U.S. military support, he should maybe apply for statehood.

51 stars might be logistically difficult to place on the flag, but if we take in Guam at the same time....................!

Coondog :2cent:

What better way to placate the handfull of loonies who actually believe the White House is in league with the Muslim Brotherhood?
Coondog

Postby Wise One » 2012 Nov 29 12:05

Cranky old man with addled brain accidentally gets something right.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
Wise One

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Jan 07 11:55

The question is do you believe in the god described by offical leaders of Christian, Jewish, or Muslim religions.

I answered yes without giving it much thought. As the question is writen I should have answered no. I do not believe the "Offical Leaders" are necessarily correct. I also do not believe I am always 100% correct in my understanding of the bible.

The bible is an integrated message from God to mankind writen over 1400 years by 40 writers but I believe the author is God. Much of it deals with Prophesy, all of it deals with our salvation and how God wants us to deal with other people.

I strongly believe in the God of the bible and the tanakh and am sure they are the same God. As for the Koran, this is a very different god.
The God of Christians and Jews is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. The god of the koran is not, and his teachings and instructions to his followers is very different than the instructions and teachings of the God of the bible and tanakh. The differences you find betwen the old and new testenment are because they represent two different contracts between God and mankind.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who has studied the bible, and I do mean studied, could come away with any other conclusion than God is real and the bible is His message to mankind.
Cannoneer

A poke in the eye...

Postby Crux » 2013 Jan 07 13:41

You have done it now. :gun2: You will soon hear from Amy P. :gun: She HATES Christianity!
The Moral Equivalency Crowd will FAIL to admit that Islam is a cultural robbery of the Judeo/Christian faith.
Crux

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 07 14:40

The old testament God demands much, provides much and promises little.

The new testament God demands little, provides little and promises much.

Allah demands everything, provides very little and promises very much.

People have a choice....but it us usually decided by someone else long before they
have a chance to reflect on it.

Scripture is a good, and sometimes bad, reference guide for human interaction, but
you don't have to study them to determine for yourself the existence of God.

Divinely inspired critique on comparative religion

Coondog

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Albert Einstein
Coondog

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Jan 07 16:51

Must you always be halfway about your reply. It's true coondog that you don't have to study to determine the existence of God, but the statement
includes to determine that the bible is God's message to mankind. to determine that you must study the bible.

All of creation points to the existence of God. It states that in the bible. The bible also states that a fool says in his heart that there is no God.

I will admit that one of your quotes was cute but untrue. I doubt it was Divinely inspired.
Cannoneer

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Jan 07 22:57

Thanks for the heads up crux.

Lots of people that don't believe in the God that christians worship seem to either hate us or make fun of us as a bunch of ignorant superstitious folks who don't know any better. I don't mind them a bit. In fact I feel sorry for them.

Most of them also believe that Islam is the religion of peace because all they know about it is what the news media says about it.
Cannoneer

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 08 15:45

I'm not about to enter the realm of arguing religion or spirituality ar the lack thereof. When it comes to belief systems, you're entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine and they, whoever they may be, are entitled to theirs.

It bothers me not one whit if people presume to know the will of God, ascribe God's will and intention to items, events or attitudes or believe themselves somehow superior by virtue of those beliefs. As long as they keep it to themselves.

I'm used to people avering that they are 'saved', but I don't think my personal beliefs are any business of theirs and don't appreciate them being so obtuse as to ask.

I particularly don't appreciate having someone else's beliefs shoved at me in the form of either personal conversation or imposition of law. Somehow, discussions of religion always end up there, and I'd rather keep things on an unoffensive level.

I will admit to having read the Bible (including the begats), the Apocrapha and a bevy of Eastern philosophies. I will also admit to being the one person to vote 'I am uncertain!'

Certainty, in these matters, seems to be the basis of all manner of discord and appears to me to be most egocentrically presumptuous. When one believes they know the inclination and nature of God, they know nothing!

Coondog :angel5:

Religion that makes one agitated, fearful or embued with self righteousness is useless. People can get that way all on their own.
Coondog

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Jan 08 22:34

It looks like you've done it again coondog.
I don't believe you read my last post at all.
My post neither argues my religion nor refers to yours.
It does not mention my knowing the will of God. I don't pretend to know it.
I didn't say I'm saved, and don't care what you believe and didn't ask.
I certainly didn't shove my religion at you or anyone else.
I think it's nice that you read the bible and other philosophies.
I never stated that I know the inclination or nature of God.
I don't think you will find any error in my statements. If you do, please enlighten me.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO REPLY TO MY POSTS, PLEASE TRY TO BE ACRUATE.

i WILL TRY TO BE ACRUATE WHEN REPLYING TO YOURS.
Cannoneer

Postby Coondog » 2013 Jan 09 10:00

Ah, Cannoneer!

You fail to read Coondog's basic premise.

I'm not arguing with you, simply stating a perspective. That perspective is on religion in general.

On the topic of religion, I suspect we are too much in accord for either to be taking anything personal.

Peace!

Coondog :tiphat:
Coondog

Postby Cannoneer » 2013 Jan 09 11:52

Thank you for the clairfication coon dog.

The bible is very clear on the subject. Salvation is a personal choice, take it or leave it. The great comission only says to tell them, not to ram it down their throats.

PEACE.
Cannoneer

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Apr 03 09:33

It seems that Republicans in North Carolina are even crazier than run-of-the-mill Republicans.

Always bellowing about how "Constitutional" they are, Republicans don't have a clue what American Constitutional principles are or what they mean.
Amy Probenski

Confusin', ain't it?

Postby Coondog » 2013 Apr 03 13:28

Not so long ago, these same folks wrapped themselves in American flags and espoused the 'love it or leave it' perspective. Apparently, they don't 'love it' any more (black guy in charge?) and their insurrectionist tendencies have taken hold.

It seems reverence for the constitution has also gone by the wayside. Used to love it, now they hate it?

Maybe they're just..................fickle!

More than likely, their level of adoration for the constitution fluctuates so drastically due to the fact that they don't know or understand what's in it. Truly, they love the Bible, but they don't seem to know or understand what's in THAT, either.

Somewhere along the process of legislation in direct opposition to the constitution and it's being struck down by a supreme court ruling, some measure of punitive recompense needs be introduced. The prospect of jail time for such seditionist behavior seems to Coondog to be a potential deterrent to this sort nonsense.

But, like our own dear Ben Cline, the poor dumb bastards probably sign onto these bills without any idea of the ramifications involved. When a whole lake of federal funding begins to dry up, they will surely see the error of their ways. If not.....jail time!

Coondog :hum:

Look for copycat legislation from our Governor & corporate palm greaser in chief. This is just the sort of thing a good old Thomas Road boy will try to ram through before the indictments come down on him for his latest revealed escapades.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/va-gov-mcdonnell-in-close-relationship-with-owner-of-struggling-company/2013/03/30/43f34fb8-97ea-11e2-814b-063623d80a60_story.html
Coondog

Postby Amy Probenski » 2013 Apr 03 14:15

:laughing:
Amy Probenski

Postby Neck-aint-red » 2013 Aug 09 08:07

Here's another data point proving that southern Republicans are nuts.
Neck-aint-red

For pity sake, spread LOVE

Postby Crux » 2013 Aug 09 20:46

Stupid makes me laugh. It makes me sad too. Take Neck. He is just another fool. He dislikes Christians. So be it.

Of course 70% of Georgia Republicans believe in "creationism". Probably 70% of the GOP in Delaware do too. If you are talking a large percentage of Christians, who by faith and awe in all of CREATION believe in some intelligent design...
I think there is a large percentage of Agnostics who grant room for the same thing. A wonder at the MIRACLE that is NATURE, and SCIENCE. A humble acquiescence to the notion that we can not know everything. That there are realms where we must guess, or abstain from certainty. Even the Christian has a reverence for MYSTERY.

I chuckle and sigh for the mean spirited like Neck. Honestly, I get ticked off at times, but then comes PITY.

crux :angel5:

"All Southern Republicans are...X" Just blind bigotry, hate, and foolishness. Oh well... :clap:
Crux

Re: For pity sake, spread LOVE

Postby Uji » 2013 Aug 12 10:41

crux wrote:[b]I think there is a large percentage of Agnostics who grant room for the same thing. A wonder at the MIRACLE that is NATURE, and SCIENCE. A humble acquiescence to the notion that we can not know everything. That there are realms where we must guess, or abstain from certainty. Even the Christian has a reverence for MYSTERY.

Well, Crux, who wants to be the one to look down on COSMIC MYSTERY. Jeez ... But wait a minute... What is this "mystery" you celebrate?

I don't know how many hairs are on my head at this minute, nor do you. Is that a mystery? No, it's just ignorance. Can I ever know how many hairs are on my head at this instant -- can anyone? Probably not. Is that a cosmic mystery? I don't think so, it's just something that we don't know.

The notion that anyone who denies the "mystery" of creation is a know-it-all or unimaginative or somehow arrogant is nonsense. What we don't know is simply "what we don't know" -- i.e., ignorance. That there are things we can never know is neither a wonder nor a mystery; it is what the term "mortal" implies.

Anyone who claims to know such things as mortals can not know -- whether by intuition or faith or divine revelation -- is arrogant and irrational and willfully ignorant.

Awe at the wonder of nature, the cosmos, and those things in it is not mysterious, but part of the human condition. The religious or those otherwise convinced that they can know the unknowable do not have a monopoly on aesthetic appreciation of the cosmos. Rather, they flee from its actual mystery -- that we can never know its source or nature -- into a false certainty: He designed it -- for Us.

You get to think anyway you want about anything you want. You don't get to claim that it's reasonable, though; there are rules that apply that have nothing to do with opinion -- much less faith or wonder.

Religion has many uses in our society -- many of them valuable. But its misuse as a substitute for reason is misguided and unnecessary.

"A humble acquiescence that we can't know everything?" Is that what Creationism is? Just the opposite: It represents the rejection of what we CAN know -- in fact DO know -- in favor of a faith in things that no mortal can never know. Even to the religious, that must be the opposite of "humble."
Uji

Somone needs a NAP

Postby Crux » 2013 Aug 12 14:28

Look, Uji, untie yourself.

I don't put a face on God. I don't know that God has a face. I don't consider "creationism" to be correct, as such. I am not religious as I have said many times. I just don't like the outright hatred of Christians and denigration I read here. It is palpable. I find the lack of respect disheartening...

It is not complicated.

I agree with you largely my friend. I am decidedly agnostic, and I think God is alright with that. Does that mean I know the mind or will of God. Nope. Just that I am at peace with God, and God I feel is at peace with me. You feeling OK Uji???

I just find the bashing of ALL Christians to be shallow, and small minded...
Crux

PreviousNext

Return to MAIN FORUM