Let me introduce myself...

Main discussion area is here. Reply to a message to continue a discussion thread, or create your own new Topics.
KamFong

Let me introduce myself...

Postby KamFong » 2019 Jul 09 07:02

Hi folks, I am the newest forum member. I have been living overseas for six years, and am interested in buying a modest house in The Valley. Graduated from JMU, and am still mostly proud of my school. I may have some questions about the inner workings of Rockbridge County, and will appreciate your assistance. Wishing everyone a great Summer.

Wise One

Re: Let me introduce myself...

Postby Wise One » 2019 Jul 09 17:18

Fire away, and we'll help as we can. Welcome to a great place to live!
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

KamFong

Postby KamFong » 2019 Jul 09 22:39

Is it a bad thing to be from way up north? Fairfax County, for example.

Wise One

Postby Wise One » 2019 Jul 10 15:30

Yes and no.

Hell, most of us have connections elsewhere, and that's why we have a broad view that is informed by experience and knowledge, with a capacity to take in new information and process it critically to reach rational conclusions. You are welcome among us!

But scattered around Rockbridge County you will find willful know-nothings who ain't bin nowhere an' be dam proud o' it. You will often find gun racks and don't-tread-on-me yellow stickers on their trucks, confederate flags in their yards, and red baseball caps on their heads. Which is a grand mystery, since there is nothing there to cover and protect. Those people will regard you with suspicion and hostility.

It's an interesting place. Explore and enjoy, take the good with the bad, and do what you can to make the know-nothings learn just a little.

:coffee:
"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like Donald Trump."

KamFong

Postby KamFong » 2019 Jul 11 11:21

Do you all get any bad smells in Lexington, like we used to in Harrisonburg (turkey slaughter)? Love turkey, though.

Crux

Postby Crux » 2019 Jul 12 14:37

Mostly the only foul smell we get from any type of fowl, would be from the turkeys over at the Red Hen. :coffee:

You will note that the wonderful local folks that are so DISPARAGED by the ever arrogant "wise one" (a true bore and snob) have proven to me to be community and family oriented, altruistic, and good natured too. People are people you know?

Welcome to Rockbridge County should you settle. It is a fine place.

Crux

Coondog

Postby Coondog » 2019 Jul 12 19:27

Yep! The City seems to have a majority of people who haven't completely abandoned intellect and rationality. The tax rates are high enough to dissuade all but those who have the means to have a second home on a beach somewhere.
But it is quaint and small enough to take up most of a postage stamp.

The rural area, as with all rural areas, is full of otherwise enlightened folks who will exhibit their departure from reality by placing giant signs in their yards, bumpers and barns. They only cut the heads off chickens for blood used in ritualistic adoration of their favorite game show host.

Either way, there's something for everyone here in the garden.

Coondog

KamFong

Postby KamFong » 2019 Jul 12 23:17

Taxes were a big question. The rate doesn't seem too bad, but they seemed to have the assessed values cranked way up, like more than market value, which goes against the code. Is that a hot topic there? Do many appeal their assessments?

And one more... is Buena Vista gaining on Lexington price wise? Is the gap narrower than it used to be? BTW, knew a guy named Neil at JMU, from BV, that would be about 56 now.. perhaps you all know him. Good guy, for sure.